Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 03:08

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2007, 11:08 
Trapper
Trapper

Since our season ended yesterday(except for 'yotes & flat-tails), its time to store my traps that I won't be using again until Nov. 15. Would appreciate some info & ideas. Also, any additional info on snow sets for "Wiley" will be extremely helpful. Most of the goals I set for myself after a 30 yr. plus absence have been met, but catching a coyote would be icing on the cake.

Muskrats-3
Raccoons-3
Grinners-4
Beaver-1
Coyotes-a miss & a pull-out

grinnergitter54

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Feb 2007, 11:27 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I store mine in a tote that is layered with cedar limbs, plywood, traps, plywood, cedar limbs. I tape the lid closed and put in the shed.

Possum-Too many

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Feb 2007, 11:43 
Rubbermaid totes are great, but make sure they're new and haven't had anything like oil or gasolene in them. Plastic absorbs odors, so you want to make sure that you're starting off with a new container.

Then, take some fresh loam from outside and put about a 2 inch layer in the bottom of the tote. Cover with leaves so that the traps won't be directly on the soil.

Then, I like to take about a quarter cup of silica. You can buy it at any Walmart or craft store. I nuke it for 30 seconds, and then put it in the bottom of the tote. Silica absorbs odor and moisture, and this will help keep your traps dry and prevent them from absorbing scent from environmental influences like the shed in which you'll be storing your tote.

Then, I put my traps inside, and press the lid down until it snaps. That's all I do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Feb 2007, 13:06 
Trapper
Trapper

I dry mine then put them in rubber maid totes. Nothing special. \

You guys would laugh at me for what I did this year.

I had not trapped in three years, and went at it at the last minute. Did not boil, clean, dye, wax or anything to my traps. Just pulled them out and went at it. I have a bucket that I put my bait in and that is the same bucket I pack my traps in when I head into the woods. I set with stinky rubber gloves or my wool gloves. I guess mink, marten and wolverine dont mind or the inch of rain a day washed the smell off. Anyway, I have had a very good season without any scent control and doing everything wrong.

I do try a little harder when setting gear for wolf as they tend to be harder to catch.

Some old trapper is now rolling over in his grave when he heard that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Feb 2007, 00:16 
I store mine in clean 5 gallon drywall mud buckets with lids.

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Feb 2007, 12:50 
Trapper
Trapper

I think I could fit two or three #5 ls in one of those buckets.

Post subject: Trap Storage
PostPosted: 02 Feb 2007, 14:06 
Trapper
Trapper

Just wanted to thank all of you for the quick responses and great ideas in reference to trap storage. I ended up putting them in 5 gal. buckets w/ a layer of hardwood chips on top and then a layer of pine branches on top of that and then put a lid on.
Also a thanks to 'Lil Bit' for stepping in in regards to critter dispatch. I was'nt trying to usurp your authority, but felt that an immediate and mature respnse was in order due to the sensitive nature of the subject. Also wanted to mention that I am very proud to be a 11 year plus U.S. Army Infantry veteran who acheived the rank of Staff Sergeant(E-6). Everytime I read one of the posts from the guys in Alaska, it brings back fond memories as I served 21 months with Co. A, 4th Bn., 9th Inf. at Ft. Wainwright in Fairbanks, AK.

Hunt, Fish, and Trap Forever !!!
grinnergitter54

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Feb 2007, 14:58 
Trapper
Trapper

Just wanted to say "THANK YOU" to grinnergitter54 and all you other service men and veterans on this forum for all that you,ve done for us.

My dad was in Co. A 5th/7th 1st Cav. in Vietnam.

Post subject: Reply to 'Let-R-Buck'
PostPosted: 02 Feb 2007, 15:44 
Trapper
Trapper

Thank you very much for your response. I served in the Army from Mar. 1975 until May 1986 and I think that is only the 3rd time anybody has ever thanked me for my service. Just a side note; I caught my first ever Rainbow Trout in Wisconsin way back in 1959 at the tender age of 5 !!! It was at a place named Moon Lake on a family vacation. I don't remember exactly where in Wisconsin, just remember it was full of Rainbows.

grinnergitter54

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Feb 2007, 15:47 
Trapper
Trapper

I also thank you and all others in the service for they serving our country.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Feb 2007, 11:03 
Trapper
Trapper

Well I know there are alot of Moon Lakes in Wisconsin, but there is a Moon Lake just 10 minutes from me. :D I don't know if there is any Trout in there, but I know there are some big (I'm an idiot, I just tried to cheat the profanity filter) muskies. My father-in-law caught one just over 49 inches.

Take care!