Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 09:24

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TRAPS QUESTION
PostPosted: 22 Dec 2006, 20:14 
Trapper
Trapper

I WAS WONDERING IF ANY OF YOU HAVE HAD ANY EXPIERENCE WITH DOGLESS TRAPS. WOULD YOU RATHER USE THEM OVER TRAPS WITH DOGS. I WAS THINKING ABOUT INVESTING SOME MONEY INTO THEM
THANKS
BOBCAT-KING

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Dec 2006, 21:00 
Personally, I prefer traps with dogs. I've always felt that it gives me a greater control over how the trap operates. Dogless are difficult to adjust, but from what experience I've had, they've required less adjustment anyway.

For future note: Please take the capslock off. It comes across as shouting. Thank you/

Post subject: Sorry about the caps!!
PostPosted: 22 Dec 2006, 22:12 
Trapper
Trapper

sorry, my name is in caps and i start writing in them and i dont feel like erasing so i just leaved it. From now on i'll make it a point to not cap my writing.
P.S I do have a loud booming voice so mabe i should write in caps? j/k

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Dec 2006, 23:02 
Trapper
Trapper

What brand are you considering?

Smitty

up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-WOW-What
a Ride"

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Dec 2006, 23:36 
Trapper
Trapper

I dont know. Do you have any good suggestions? I have always used Victor #2 (should have bought #3) with dogs and mb 650 but have had really bad luck with the mb so i dont use them anymore. Im pretty much open to any brand I dont really have a preference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Dec 2006, 07:34 
Trapper
Trapper

Not sure if you're wanting used, or new....you could look for something like the old Montgomery dogless, or the newer generation like the KB compound traps.

If you don't mind me asking, what are you making your "dogless" decision on?

Smitty

a Ride"

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Dec 2006, 21:09 
Trapper
Trapper

Honestly the reason I was thinking of switching and this may sound stupid but my hero Trapper O'gorman used a lot of dogless traps and I figured What the heck he knows what hes doing so it might be a good choice, but if there is no advantage then I guess I will just stay with the dogged traps

So I guess what I am asking, is there a advantage or not? If not I will save my money :P [/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Dec 2006, 23:59 
Trapper
Trapper

I don't know about advantages. Maybe less moving parts? Coyotes can be hard on dogs, but they can be reinforced too.

I'm using all Montana #3 regs which are dogless. I've caught three cats and so far I love these traps. I have a few dog type traps which I think will work fine, but I had to night latch and tighten the pan tension first. The Montanas have pretty good tension out of the box. Enough that pac rats have been running across my pans wihtout setting them off, and my catches have been nice high catches so far. I think it's a personal preference thing. I'd say try both and see what you think.

Brad

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Dec 2006, 08:54 
Trapper
Trapper

I know many of us are guilty about doing what you just mentioned. I've done it (but it seems to fade with age). We idolize some of the bigger trappers, and believe the brand of traps they use, lures, and brand of underware they wear are what's required to make the number of catches they do. lol, hunters & fishermen are guilty of this as well.

You can duplicate their bag of tools to the "T", drive the same kind of truck, wear the same kind of boots..... but they have one thing you don't, experience. How many animals do you think were taken before all this stuff came along? Millions....don't get me wrong, like alot of things, much has improved.

I admire and respect all of these trappers who've made it to "fame & fortune", but remember....they still put their pants on one leg at a time, just like you & I.

What works for one person, may be the worst possible choice for another. There's certainly nothing wrong with paying attention to what another trapper does, or asking the opinion of others, you should do both....but you should also let the final decision & choice be your own (as long as it is still within the bounds of trapper ethics, and the laws of your area).

Trap brands & styles are as individual as the person setting them. There is one particular brand of trap I wouldn't own if they were given to me, but others use them. Trapping is an industry like most others in that the manufacturers have to make a profit to stay in business....it's no different than a famous ballplayer doing a tennis shoe commercial.

There is alittle advantage with less moving parts, in that there's less "slop" in them, so less drop of the pan (in most cases) is required to fire the trap. However most dog-on traps can be tuned comparibly. Adding "Top Dogs" can eliminate chewed/bent dogs.

I'd agree with Brad H, try a couple....no one can decide what works for you, but you. The reason for the rambling was just to share a point, especially with the younger trappers......use your head prior to spending your money. Start-out small, worry more about educating yourself about trapping & your quarry, than filling the trunk of your car with traps and all the "bells & whistles". I promise you that 6 traps and a good amount of mental preperation will put alot more fur in your shed than 100 traps & little idea of how to use them.

There's nothing you can purchase that will make you a successful trapper, nothing in a bottle, box, jar, can, or crate. Your best & most useful tool is ontop of your shoulders.

Smitty

PS- I know this is alittle OT, but is something that I've been thinking alot about lately because I get alot of PMs from younger trappers wanting to do "this & that" to their traps. They don't know why.....just because everyone else is doing it. I just wanted to give them alittle food for thought.

Smitty

Smitty

a Ride"

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Dec 2006, 15:37 
Trapper
Trapper

That was nicely put. great subject matter. Smitty you rule.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Dec 2006, 19:10 
Trapper
Trapper

I re-read mypost and noticed there was one big positive point to the dogless traps I failed to mention. On occassion an animal can/will fire the trap with a foot on the dog, which can result in the foot being raised causing a "shallower" catch, or a miss.

Smitty

a Ride"