Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 11:03

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: deer hunting over bait
PostPosted: 07 Sep 2006, 21:14 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Put on your boxing gloves. lol. What's everyone's view about hunting deer over bait. Archery or rifle. Personally, I've done it for archery season here in Wisc. I still do it. But I won't do it for Rifle season. Thoughts?

yotes 28
red fox 19
grey fox 13
coon 21
rat 14
beaver 27
otter

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Sep 2006, 21:37 
I'm against it. No fair chase.

Post subject: Bait
PostPosted: 07 Sep 2006, 21:47 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Geez lil bit , you are everywhere. :lol: No running and hiding from you is there?

yotes 28
red fox 19
grey fox 13
coon 21
rat 14
beaver 27
otter

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Sep 2006, 21:47 
I am omnipresent. Mwahahahahahah! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Sep 2006, 22:03 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

We'll see how agitated this thread gets... keep it civil people.

And Lil Bit-- on this forum I am omnipotent. :D

As for me, I don't deer hunt over bait. I guess my biggest issue, at least in Wisconsin, is with the law-breakers that put a pickup truck load of corn in the woods. It happens far too often. I've seen pickups at the feedmill on a Friday afternoon with a truck bed overflowing with sacks of corn amongst the tree stands and ATV's. It makes you wonder just what the heck all of that corn is for... :roll:

I guess if a person is going to bait for deer, follow the letter of the law and I won't have a problem with them doing it.

Now bear hunting over bait... that's one fun time I tell ya. :)

Post subject: baiting
PostPosted: 07 Sep 2006, 22:44 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I agree with you. I hunt for deer in the Eau claire county forest and yes, I see tons of corn piles where they weren't yesterday the day prior to season opener. I do follow the law and am fine with the 2 gal, stipulation. Around here, there is so much posted land and even though farmers have no problem with me trapping their land they will not, under any circumstance let me hunt deer. with or without them. So, it's to the forest I go, and out there there just aren't any fields of any nature. Thousands of acres to be in so I guess by Lil Bit's reconkeing and yours, I'm cheating. But as I stated, it's only cheating during archery season.

yotes 28
red fox 19
grey fox 13
coon 21
rat 14
beaver 27
otter

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Sep 2006, 23:01 
Trapper
Trapper

cant bait here,but ya can find a natural salt lick to watch over,i dont hunt much anymore,gets in my way. well should say i have let it get inthe way: quail,ducks,geese,deer ,coon.,training dogs,lol no wonder i couldnt find time to trap as much as i wanted too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Sep 2006, 23:18 
I mean, to each their own. I just couldn't feel good doing it. Even for archery, I'd rather rattle a buck in than invite them to an 'all you can eat buffet' and shoot them while grazing.

I just can't do it. Same with bear. I'd rather hunt them with dogs, where they have a greater chance of getting away, than invite themto a slop pile where I can say to myself, "Enh. I'll wait for a bigger one to show up."

For the same reasons I won't pay to go to some fenced 'trophy buck' farm in Kansas. I'd rather get an 8 pointer that scores 126 that I rattled in after clearing my lane, and making mock scrapes, than a 14 pointer that scores 168 that was in a herd of 8+pointers just kind of cruising around under a manmade stand.

It's all about personal preference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2006, 00:14 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

to me there isnt really a differnce to hunting over bait than trapping next to a carcass.if it is leagel then i would do both

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2006, 09:58 
I don't like trapping up against a carcass as you tend to get a lot of crap animals like crows, skunks and opossums. I like setting my traps quite a ways away from carcasses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Sep 2006, 20:42 
Trapper
Trapper

Are we talking natural bait or added bait? I've never passed up on an acorn-laden patch of oak trees. However, I never put out bait...that's only legal for bear in Maine, although, every November it amazes me how many cut apples and acorns just happen to fall on the ground in front of a tree stand....

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Sep 2006, 20:59 
lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2006, 10:29 
Trapper
Trapper

lil'bit i still love :lol: you but

Quote:
I just can't do it. Same with bear. I'd rather hunt them with dogs, where they have a greater chance of getting away, than invite themto a slop pile where I can say to myself, "Enh. I'll wait for a bigger one to show up."

It is funny how different people think/react differently to the same thing. Even though there is not a right or wrong answer/stance. I guided bear hunters for 9 years, and still do just to a lesser degree. I don't agree with hound hunting. I don't see the sport in running an animal to death. It is not for me. Every one of my hunts were bait hunts. I prefer to see the animal in his surroundings, acting as much on his own terms as possible. I have hunted the same woods on many occassions, with dog hunters. I have witnessed some very unethical/illegal things. (to many dogs, adding/replacing dogs, shooting for the client, etc) Before you all go peeing on yourselves, I know this is a small percentage, and it goes with all groups, baitsitters included. Factually (is that a word :? )speaking WDNR numbers show that a higher percentage of animals are taken with hounds than without. 2005 cat harvest was 83% hounds, and 17% trapped, and you know as well as i that there are more trappers than, bobcat hunters. Ask a hound hunter how many bears they treed and walked away from before pulling the trigger, a hound hunter, IMO, has more opportunities to look at and select an animal than a bait sitter. In general bears taken in the same area with hounds will be bigger. Hound hunters can cover more area alot faster and cheaper than baitsitters can, giving the hound hunter more bears to choose from. When I get my 30 or so baits set up, for the 10-15 sitters, that is what I have to choose from. If things aren't going so good, I can't just pull up stakes, travel 15-100 miles looking for new bears. With 4-6 dogs on a bear I am not sure how they "have a better chance of getting away". What is really amusing to me is the dog hunters who slam bait hunters, yet they have out there own 30-40 places to start there dogs from (yes bait stations). In the reality of it, the small percentage that is doing things unethically/illegally is a very small portion of the outdoor public. Though it is a small percentage it is made up of YOU and ME, because that is what we all are in the nonoutdoorsmans eye. We all get lumped into bambi killing, non-trap checking, unethical worms. So I guess to sum it up, if it is legal in your state and you are an outdoorsperson, don't slam it if you don't do it. You don't have to believe in it, or do it, but it is other peoples right to. I want my kids to be able to have the same choices when they grow up. United we stand, alone we will crumble.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2006, 11:12 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

Well said Whitetail. :)

What part of the state do you bait in? I should be getting a tag for 2007, I have five preference points right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2006, 11:17 
Trapper
Trapper

bayfield county, chippewa and rusk county. Hoping the wife draws next year, 5 points now. Dad and I each have 4 points

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2006, 11:24 
Bear have a better chance of getting away because bears can climb ravines better than dogs, bears that go onto private property can't be shot, or are in a tree that you can't get a shot at, and bears can't be shot after dark. so, with that being said... more bears get away.

Besides, running them with dogs isn't about shooting the bear. It's about treeing the bear. We hunt every year, but the last bear I took was 3 years ago, and only because he was a big boy.

I don't agree with it. Nothing said will change that. If it's legal, that's your perogative, but I'm allowed to say what I say as long as I'm not bashing you personally. So neener neener.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2006, 11:39 
Trapper
Trapper

blah,blah,blah, :D :D :D :D :D :D you best be careful or I am going to smear some bear scent on your one good leg :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2006, 11:40 
I told you I'm against baiting... especially with me! :D :P :P :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2006, 11:55 
Trapper
Trapper

so are you saying that with some grilled salmon, covered in potatoes and onion, with sides of chili dip, and salad, I couldn't "bait" you into my trapping rig? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2006, 13:38 
Hmm..... hrm..... oh gees... the conflict... ARGH!!!!!

WTA, just your smile is plenty. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2006, 14:01 
Trapper
Trapper

*blushing* :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2006, 14:44 
And that folks is what we like to call 'southern charm' :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Feb 2008, 18:03 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

I reckon I'll have to side with Ted Nugent on this "hunting over bait" issue...what is bait and what is not bait. Is a cornfield bait? Is a white oak flat a baited area? Is a watering hole considered bait? Is doe in heat lure bait? Let's not point too many fingers at who may be correct or incorrect. Let's just unite together as outdoorsmen and do what we each like doing as long as it is legal. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Feb 2008, 18:09 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Here are some photos of game in area where we put corn and protein feeders out in south Texas. The deer was passed up because of being too young and too small.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Feb 2008, 18:58 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

where i live here in MI, i cannot bait due to the bovine TB issue. In other areas where i hunt, it is allowed. I have done just fine without bait as with bait. it all comes down to scoutin and knowin where the deer are or gonna be.