Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 04:13

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 71 Miles to a Party
PostPosted: 08 Aug 2016, 10:44 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Doesn't sound like much unless your horseback, which I was.

The early 80s found me working as a Wilderness Director at Eagle Mountain Boys School in Sagle Idaho. There I was employed with another wilderness director, he and I took the boys horse back riding and camping etc. Was the bestest bestest job ever as you can imagine. !!!!

While there I was invited to an Amm rendezvous/party in Ione Washington which was about 71 miles away.

I had a nice riding horse at the time so I loaded up with my pre-1840 accourtements and headed north. My horse gear lacked authenticity so I tried to keep it covered with a blanket. I had an old sante fe style saddle of a rawhide tree and nice big tacked horn but my rigging was nylon and leather. Nylon being a big nono. :evil:

My first day took me through one of the local Native American reservations. Name of it has escaped me over time. I discovered a beautiful large grotto of stone in the side of the hill there where I spend a couple hours in meditation. I was quite the site in all my garb and bedroll. Got quite a few looks from the locals. Got back on the trail and ended up over nighting along a back road. Tied my horse on a high line to keep him out of trouble and had a good nights sleep.

Up early and headed north. Eventually I came to a bridge that crossed a small river, not usually a problem but this bridge was of metal grid. Not to my horse's liking at all. In spite of my coaxing he wasn't having any of that span he could see through to the river below.
Fortunately I'd had the horse for a while and he had grown to trust me. He faithfully followed me while I was leading him across, albeit very cautiously. And he just about ran me over when we reached the far side to safety.

After passing through Ione, which is a dinky little town, I came to the long meadow where the gathering was held. It was a couple days before it was supposed to start so there weren't many camps. I got set up and then decided to walk my horse, Raj, to the upper end of the meadow and say hello to friends who had arrived before we did.

I tied my horse loosely to a small bush near us and proceeded to sit a spell and enjoy the fire and companionship. Something spooked him and of course he pulled back and broke free with little effort and high tailed it towards the other end of the meadow and the way home. I figured I'd catch up with him at the bridge, was hoping anyway.

I had a little song I'd whistle when I fed my horses. Id toss them hay and then repeatedly whistle that tune till they settled into enjoying their hay. That paid off because just out of hope and desperation I whistled as loud as I could that little ditty, and to my amazement, and the amazement of my friends, my horse did a 180 and returned to me.

After a few days of camaraderie and Shinin Times, I saddled up and headed home again. Threw a shoe on the way back that I ended up just pulling off. And taking it easy. Spent the night along the road again and made it back to the school in the evening of the next day.

It was a long ride, but I rode a lot so it wasn't too much for my horse. And even though my gear wasn't 100% pre-1840, no one confronted me over that fact. I guess I got cut some slack cause I rode there and didn't drive. Its not uncommon for participants to take two weeks to get to voo on horse back where ever it is being held in the Rockies. It changes each year.

Miss those days of adventure for sure and am looking for them in
My life once again.

WAUGH !

FREEDOM~LIBERTY

Last edited by Musselshellgal on 08 Aug 2016, 18:26, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: 71 Miles to a Party
PostPosted: 08 Aug 2016, 16:47 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

Sounds like a great time, thanks for sharing ! 8)

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.