Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 10:19

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2016, 20:53 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Do you ever wonder how much more good stuff could get done if scammers put their creative energy into legitimate, worthwhile endeavors??

My 15-year old wants a used truck so bad he can taste it. He likes the little ones but a full-size isn’t out of the question if the price is right. He keeps showing me various ones he finds and I keep telling him let’s wait until closer to his b-day and when he has more money saved up. But this doesn’t stop him from looking.

So, last week he found an early 2000s Ford Ranger that a gal wanted to sell for $1,500 on our se SD craigslist. It seems that the gal is a medic in the NG and is getting mobilized in a couple of weeks and needs to ditch the truck fast. The only problem is that she’s being MOBed in Nevada and she would ship the truck to us through ebay motors at supposed no extra cost, we have x number of days to check it out, and could return it. So I asked him for her e-mail and sent her a message asking 1) what state NG did she belong to?, and 2) wouldn’t it be easier just to place the ad in the Vegas craigslist and move the truck that way (2 million people, I’m sure she could find a quick buyer)? No response from this “seller”. I told someone at work and he said, “Well, yeah but now they have your e-mail address for all their spam and other scams”. OK, confronting “her” with my direct e-mail may not have been a wise move so won’t repeat that next time.

Today T finds a 2001 Ford F-150 on our “local” Let-it-go site and the “lady” only wants a little more than a grand for the truck. The pixs looked nice. He asks why so low in price and “she” sends back a long paragraph stating it was her son’s truck and how her husband & son were killed by a drunk driver and she just wants the truck out of her life because it “brings back too many bad memories”. I asked T when he showed me when the ad was posted because a truck that good looking and that cheap should only last a day or so in our metro area. I also found it curious that if it was a recent post, why the woods in the background were still in leaf-off condition in that the pixs? (pixs taken 2-3 months ago?) T asks the “lady” if we could meet and gets back a long paragraph that the truck is in an Amazon warehouse in Iowa, and it will be shipped to us for inspection, can get our money back, blah, blah, blah. All of this effort for a thousand $$ pickup that should sell about anywhere in a day or two?? C’mon, how gullible do they think we are?? But, I guess it costs little time and no money to post bogus schemes on such sites and they only have to get an occasional person to commit to the bait.

21st century technology and communication but there really isn’t anything new under the sun. Buyer beware…

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2016, 21:13 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

All I can say is thank God you are an educated man PC. And if you have the time drive up to Alberta and Trappintime will get you a great deal on a brand new loaded 2017 new in the box truck of your choice for the price of a go-cart, and for a pennies extra probably the time of your life in the ram pasture. :shock: :lol:

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2016, 21:56 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Also, now they know they have a valid e-mail by your reply to them, so now... they can sell you e-mail address to others for you to receive more spam.

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2016, 06:30 
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)

PC, if you can find a truck early the lad can spend many good hours just going through it and learning about it before he drives off with it. If they get one while they have a drivers license they tend to just drive the bag off it. The best to buy are the ones old [passing gas twice] have owned and are selling due to age/eye sight and such. They tend to have been driven with a little respect. Never buy from someone under 30. Never buy from anyone who will not let you look at it first.

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2016, 18:19 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

"Do you ever wonder how much more good stuff could get done if scammers put their creative energy into legitimate, worthwhile endeavors?? "

Have had that exact thought many times. We have had six or seven phone calls land our answering machine, in the last three weeks, from the "IRS" telling us they are filing suit against us for taxes due. All we have to do to avoid this troubling issue is call the number they leave. Never heard of the IRS using cell phones, let alone any phone contact, for official business. Same recorded message from two different cell phones. BRING IT ON "IRS". Wife got mad enough about it that she called the local police and filed a complaint, not that it will go anywhere.

"Buyer beware" is an old saying that still applies today.

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2016, 19:36 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Yeah, Rem, we had fun with one of those types a year or so ago. A guy called up and claimed he was some sort of fed law enforcement official or whatever, claimed we had to call them to talk about things or we'd be in big trouble. Little did mr. scrammer know that I actually know a federal law enforcement in bedroom town who is the dad of one of T's friends. The people that "Jerry" deals with typically don't get up much before noon so he usually not overly pressed in the mornings. I gave Jerry the phone number and explained the situation and he said he'd "check it out". He called the losers, said he was calling on behalf of his friend (me) and by the way wanted to know as a real federal agent what was the business mr. scammer had with me. Jerry said the guy on the other end of the line could disconnect fast enough.

Too bad we can't shoot a phone line equivalent of a Star Trek "photon torpedo" down the line or across the air waves and just fry their entire operation. I'd pay a modern big concert ticket price to watch that happen in real time :mrgreen: :twisted:

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2016, 11:37 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I have contemplated getting one of those "canned" air horns, call the scammer, and give them a blast while they are in the middle of their spiel. At least I'd get some satisfaction doing that.

I do like that "photon torpedo" idea. Too bad that technology doesn't exist.