Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 12:32

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anybody Raise Pigs?
PostPosted: 01 Jun 2016, 14:15 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Got two piglets last saturday, 6 weeks old, and I need some help/advice. This is my first time raising pigs, so a lot of this year will be trial and error, but I'm hoping to eliminate some of the errors :wink:

How much bread can I feed them? I get old bread and produce from a grocery store. Anything that is no good gets thrown away, then my rabbits get produce and the pigs gets fed everything thats left of the produce plus some bread. My grandfather said not to feed them very much bread, how much is too much?

I bought pig feed at the feed store, and when I put it in their feed tray, they seem to just mush it all up into dust and not eat it? Not really sure whats going on there

Squirrel-6
Coon-4
Muskrat-8 (1 eaten)
Mink-1 (ranched)

Check out my youtube channel? I'm retroslickbass. I have some videos of me playin piano and bass in church!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/retroslickb ... rid&view=0 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul. Mark 8:36

Post subject: Re: Anybody Raise Pigs?
PostPosted: 01 Jun 2016, 14:20 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

I feed my pigs anything and everything. Never heard of overfeeding them on bread, but some people don't like to feed them meat, they say it changes the taste of them when you butcher them , but I couldn't tell any difference. One thing I don't feed them is feed with ground corncobs in it , they say they cannot digest the corncob.

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2016, 17:42 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Are they gilts or boars? If boars, go on and castrate them while they are young. At six weeks they may not have been off straight milk long enough to learn what feed is. Mix some calf manna or any milk substitute with the pellets to get them started and then once they are eating the feed quit using the milk substitute. I always fed my hogs scraps like doc and if I didn't have scraps it was shorts and pellets until near butchering time and then I liked to finish them on corn to harden the lard.

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2016, 21:44 
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)

feed them all the bread you can as it sure won't hurt them. I've fed many truck loads of out of date bread to hogs. Pigs like all produce and grass as well. Make sure your pen is solid as them porkers are jail brake artists.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2016, 23:55 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

At 6 wks old,(probably they wiegh 5-10 lbs.), I start them on high protein pig pellets until they get to about 20-25 lbs.

Then start pouring the bread, veggies and anything you can to them. Also, don't forget to throw them a few lumps of coal to eat (de-worms them) plus, they like coal.

Then finish them off on corn.

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2016, 07:44 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Thanks for the advice, I've been putting the scraps to them, and I tried to keep pellets in front of them at all times. they haven't completely cleaned out their trough yet though.

These are a lot larger than 5-10 lbs at 6 weeks, they're definitely a good 20-30 lbs already

Squirrel-6
Coon-4
Muskrat-8 (1 eaten)
Mink-1 (ranched)

Check out my youtube channel? I'm retroslickbass. I have some videos of me playin piano and bass in church!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/retroslickb ... rid&view=0 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul. Mark 8:36

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2016, 18:24 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Keep your chickens away from the hog pens. Hogs love to eat chickens and will eat everyone they can get hold of.