Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 13:54

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2014, 13:16 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Any one have opinions or advice? Ive got a North American arms mini revolver and it would be perfect except ive got $375 in it with after market grips etc. its only needed for the trapline as with iron sights i cant hit anything smaller then a grapefruit at 10' with the subcompacts. If weve got any land footholds out at all we carry a cutdown marlin .22mag rifle. Although overkill it does fine for potting meat. I had a jet fire years ago but it had feeding issues. Ive been looking at derringer and single shot tip ups but the price is shocking.

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2014, 13:33 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

We have been using a little Saturday night special .22 and it works great. Even with a long rifle it barely gets through the skull and most times is balled up on the opposite side on a yote. Coons it tends to go through unless you aim it back into the body. It does have its benefits of being so short, it loses power quickly so muzzle velocity isn't much higher than that of the sub sonic .22 rounds. I will say the short barreled guns are a heck of a lot louder. We nicknamed outs the noisy cricket lol.

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2014, 13:36 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Found this beretta-- http://www.berettausa.com/products/model-21-bobcat/

Although not really "sub-compact," my dad's Ruger MKIII is a decent .22 http://www.ruger.com/products/markIIISt ... odels.html

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2014, 13:58 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Oh yes 1-2" barrels are hard on the ears. Those Rugers are good guns. I carried a 22/32 smith and Wesson kit gun for years. Not a cheap knock around now days. I like the Remington .22LR thinderbts for most .22 work. CMJ does the special have a brand name. Thats what im looking for a "Pocket pistol".

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2014, 16:50 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

It's a bryko Jennings, or something like that, not sure on the spelling. Just a cheapy off brand I would guess.

We also got one of the ruger mk's not sure which one, but it has the match barrel. Accurate little thing when its not in my hands lol.

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2014, 17:26 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I had a stainless Ruger mkii 8" bull barrel. It was more accurate then alot of rifles. My jet fire was a Jennings i think?

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2014, 12:21 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

cat-man-jr wrote:
It's a bryko Jennings, or something like that, not sure on the spelling. Just a cheapy off brand I would guess.

We also got one of the ruger mk's not sure which one, but it has the match barrel. Accurate little thing when its not in my hands lol.

I believe yours is a MK III, mine is a MK II and it doesn't go trappin. :lol: I have a little Taurus revolver for the line, but as soon as I find an ol' beater wheel gun I'll start leaving the Taurus at home too. If you are going to shoot nothing but LR ammo, then a small semi auto would be good, like the Ruger SR22 (I think?).

The second amendment is in place in case the others are ignored.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2014, 19:14 
Trapper
Trapper

I bought a Heritage Rough Rider single action .22 and I really like it. It is not a compact pistol, but it is relatively accurate and cheap. I bought it Gander Mountain for $180. I just couldn't bring myself to beat the crap out of my Ruger Single Six.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2014, 19:58 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

We've got a rough rider but id like a frugal(read that cheap if you want) little semi or wheel gun, new or used under $100, maybe $125? Its for our walk in lines. Or days we cant drive into farms etc. tryin to downsize/cut some weight.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2014, 20:05 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

We picked that Jennings up from a person for $20, plus we got quite a few rounds of .22, plus an extra mag. So you might check around with individuals for a cheapy.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2014, 22:02 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Yeah thats an idea too. No hurry, got a few months yet..

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2014, 20:13 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Backwoods, check out the Cobra Arms compacts and derringers. Brand new they are $130-$170. Made in USA, and come in various cal. including .22LR, and .22mag. Two shot derringers, and you can get a multitude of barrels for pretty darn cheap but you need the longer barrel model for that, which is still very compact.. Good looking outfits too. You may not be interested but they are worth a look. My Dad just bought one and really likes it.

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2014, 22:40 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Thank you, i seen the Bond Atms derringers but they were like $275 and up. Single or double barrel derringer would work fine and probably be the best bet all things considered.

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2014, 17:57 
Trapper
Trapper

I've been researching that same idea, but am a wheelgun guy.
The Ruger Bearcat that was Dads is nice but belongs to my daughter.
I've found that the S&W 317 with the 4" bbl is the lightest revolver available, except the same 317 with the 1 7/8" bbl.
BUT, BUT, when asking on the S&W owners site and a couple other sites found the accuracy was unacceptable for dispatch yotes in the heart at 2-3 yds.
Previous 1 7/8" owners traded for the 4" and were super satisfied w/ accuracy improvement.
Sooooooo, you know what on my birthday list NOW.

The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2014, 18:38 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I really like wheel guns too. I'll have to look into S&W, ty

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2014, 19:18 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I have been looking around for a used trapline pistol, but haven't found one yet. Get tired of packin a rifle around.

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2014, 20:02 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I've got .22RF pistols but lookin for a pocket gun. For the trapline and to carry for CCW. Im carrying an NAA mini revolver for CCW but i dont want to carry it on a trapline. I have before.

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2014, 11:40 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Backwoodsmansback wrote:
I've got .22RF pistols but lookin for a pocket gun. For the trapline and to carry for CCW. Im carrying an NAA mini revolver for CCW but i dont want to carry it on a trapline. I have before.

pm sent.