Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 16:37

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WAT like Facebook?
PostPosted: 04 Mar 2014, 19:30 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

My wife watches Dr. Oz, so I do also. Don't know the context of what was said, but he said you should only check social media once a day. I said I Facebooked a year ago to send a video of the grandkids at a Church function to the family. The wife said I'm on WAT every day- same thing. I disagreed with her and am wondering what yall think. I see Facebook as a minute by minute update of your life and WAT as the high and low points of your life. Totally different to me, but what do I know, I'm of the male species. She's on social media a lot and it seems like gossip to me. Any input welcome.

Kelley

Post subject: Re: WAT like Facebook?
PostPosted: 04 Mar 2014, 19:40 
Trapper
Trapper

I do Facebook as well and check it couple times a day. Sometimes post and put up pics. A lot of mine is outdoors stuff, Church or comment some. I am on some trapping pages as well. Good info there too. This is considered social media but you have categories you can choose from and possible not to offend someone. My son use to live in Illinois and it was a way to keep up with him, he rarely post. He lives with me now.

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2014, 19:52 

WAT is real life. Facebook is your pretend life................ :lol:

BTW, I don't have a facebook account. My wife says you don't need it but she has one....hmmmmm. :?

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2014, 20:02 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I havent "face booked" in almost 2 years. Dont miss it, liars trying to impress other liars from what i seen. Ex spent 10 hrs a day+ playing on it. I got tired of game invites, people building themselves up pretending to be what they wanted others to think of them. Id rather watch grass grow then check and read others status updates or build a zoo or a cartoon town. Friends of mine got married on a cruise and honeymooned in Jamaica. She kept lauding it over everyone on their friends list. They got home to a nearly empty house....

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2014, 20:14 
Trapper
Trapper

Yea, posting about vacation is a big NO NO. I get on different garage sales, outdoor swap and ect.... Get pretty good deals. Its like online garage/yard sales. I have friends all over Arkansas especially relatives.

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2014, 20:42 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

I was on facebook for 2 weeks and had my wife erase my account ( she signed me up ). Don't need that gossip and don't want people knowing what I'm doing.

I guess to our wives they see WAT as the same thing, but I disagree. Yes, we might talk about things that they think are stupid, but we share a lot of useful info too. This is no gossip site. Those people on facebook are crazy, parents getting on there acting like idiots. :shock: :shock: Worse than their kids, no wonder the world is frickin nuts.

I know, there are some crazy people on here too, but they are kinda funny. 8) :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2014, 22:50 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Yeah Doc i think are crazies are our northern neighbors, not across the road , lol.. I dunno if my accounts still exist. If anyone posted on'em i wonder if theyve figured out noones there? Lol.

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2014, 08:45 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

i am on Facebook 24-7 now an days. lot of yard sale pages and now gun and hunting and knives pages. people listing stuff every second on there. now the owner of Facebook is thinking about changing their polices about no gun pages to trade.. just one more step to striping our freedom and take away another right . always someone trying there best to ban gun everywhere..

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2014, 09:08 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Backwoodsmansback wrote:
Yeah Doc i think are crazies are our northern neighbors, not across the road , lol.. I dunno if my accounts still exist. If anyone posted on'em i wonder if theyve figured out noones there? Lol.

Crazy or not I like those boys from Minnesota :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: . Just wait till the Irish women hears what you said :--o

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2014, 09:48 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Lol, i can only imagine. We're Scot/Irish/Getman/Norse. Im sure ive heard it before lol. On snother note. We do Craigslist and ive got done good deals vefore on there.. But i wouldnt recommend a woman answer any ads for anything alone.

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2014, 13:56 
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)

Why pick on the folks from Alaska? What'd they do to deserve that :evil: .

I drove over here to BC yesterday for some skiing and had to laugh as the boys saw a couple elk I'm betting 99.99% of the motoring public missed. Winter is great fun eh. :D

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2014, 15:11 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

I do both Facebook and WAT (obviously). On Facebook I just skim over the junk most people post but I do find it a nice way to keep track of distant relatives and friends. WAT is more hobby/lifestyle related and most of the posts are about things many of us find interesting in our daily lives.

On the other hand...if I get ONE MORE "Farmville" invite from trappintime I am going to unfriend him. :lol:

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2014, 20:55 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

Just had a nice chat on Facebook with some guy named Biggi. He advised me that he is planning another trip to Canada to visit another one of our members. Facebook is good for something. :lol:

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2014, 21:29 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Biggi from Iceland? Thats neat.

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2014, 22:53 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

WOW, never thought I would get a post jacked by KD, I'm impressed. Now when is Biggi going to show up in Canada? And will he post another pic of the Great Northern One, who wishes to remain unphotographed? And will.....OH Heck, so many questions, I'm on pins and needles.

Kelley

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2014, 23:08 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Oh dear. Irish Woman likes it here. Since I moved up here I don't spend much time worrying about north versus south. The folks here like us but they think I talk funny.

Pierre

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2014, 18:00 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I've had a FB account for about 3 years but there have been stretches of 4-6 months that I haven't logged on. Usually about 3-4 days makes me think why I'm on here especially dealing with people's posts that I know and are civil with but who's worldviews are so wacked different than mine that its hard to stand. And the same loudmouths in high school are still loudmouths (usually). Still, its a way to hear from people removed by distance and time that you might still want to know about. But I certainly could live without it if pressed. I don't do Twitter and have yet to send a text message. I truly feel sorry for the people, especially the young folks who are on social media a majority of their waking time. Its an addiction just like most, and where it might not kill you physically it will certainly kill a lot socially (such as inter-personal relationships) and possibly spiritually. Like anything else on the Internet, there's a lot of good stuff but also a lot of dark stuff out there. And the dark stuff wins a lot :(

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2014, 18:36 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

TrapperKD wrote:
Just had a nice chat on Facebook with some guy named Biggi. He advised me that he is planning another trip to Canada to visit another one of our members. Facebook is good for something. :lol:

I wonder who the lucky Canuke is this time?

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2014, 20:35 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

On the news tonight they said Facebook was going anti-gun. Now I know what the difference is!

Kelley

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2014, 20:44 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

I never could figure out the big deal about class reunions. Why would I want to waste a day talking to people I didn't talk to in high school 30 years ago ?

Let facebook go anti gun. When the SHTF Osama will save them. :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2014, 22:45 

Pierre wrote:
Oh dear. Irish Woman likes it here. Since I moved up here I don't spend much time worrying about north versus south. The folks here like us but they think I talk funny.

Pierre

You do! :o :wink:

kc, I do both and I see your wife's point but I think you are more correct. Facebook has alot of self promotion that encourages ppl to spend more time on it. There are all the games, vids, and tons of other stuff too numerous to mention. WAT is generally more focused on our central interest and it isnt the format full of bells and whistles that draws us to the site. It is the exchange of common interests among members and the legitimate comradery that we feel for each other. Big difference in my mind.

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2014, 09:40 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I'm a teenager, and I hardly bother with Facebook. I update my profile picture once a year, and its with my most memorable catch on the trapline that year. Thats about all I do on Facebook.

Squirrel-6
Coon-4
Muskrat-8 (1 eaten)
Mink-1 (ranched)

Check out my youtube channel? I'm retroslickbass. I have some videos of me playin piano and bass in church!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/retroslickb ... rid&view=0 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul. Mark 8:36

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2014, 21:47 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I have Facebook too. Dont post much on there but do get on every once in a while to see what everyone is doing. Nosey I guess.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2014, 20:52 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

That's what I've said for near 30 years doc. Never went to a reunion and never will. Told'em all last time if i havent talked to or contacted you for more then a few years theres probably a good reason...