Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 11 Dec 2017, 18:08

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2013, 15:12 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I watch as many documentaries on Netfilx as I do movies. Today while escaping the muggy heat I decided to watch a documentary called HAPPY PEOPLE ~ A YEAR IN TAIGA. Supposedly about self sufficient people in a village of central Siberia. It's narrated by someone who sounds like Arnold Swarzenegger (sp?) and has subtitles.

Much to my delight, it centered around a trapper who is located in central Siberia. It could have been 100 hours long and I'd not lost interest. Any outdoorsman and trapper surely longs for the life these trappers lead.

Watch and enjoy. Learn and dream.

I wonder if anyone of them there would be interested in an American Mail order Bride. lol. It was all I could do to not weep with longing for their simple lifestyle in a land of beauty, solitude and wonderment, suffering and joy. I guess I wasn't necessarily born in the wrong century, but simply in the wrong place. I could soooooo do that. ( when I say I could soooo do that I don't mean I think I could ace it, just that I sure would love to try.)

FREEDOM~LIBERTY

Last edited by Musselshellgal on 13 Jul 2013, 22:11, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2013, 22:06 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Sounds interesting MG. There was a family discovered living in remote Siberia back in the 70s I believe, when a Soviet Union plane was flying over the forest and saw what looked to be a giant garden in the middle of the wilderness :shock: Turns out it was a family that had fled into the wilderness when WWII started, and had lived in complete isolation since. They didnt even know the war had ended :shock:

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2013, 08:49 

That is a great documentary....I have watched it several times over the last year or so. I never get tired of watching him make skis with nothing more than wedges...too cool!

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2013, 22:57 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Just finished watching it. Amazing. The lives these people live are astonishing.

What especially interested me is the relationship the hunters/trappers have with their dogs. They seem to be completely in-tune with each other. I couldnt help but laugh when he described how he teaches his dogs to avoid traps :roll:

On a side note, does anyone know what type/breed of dogs those were?

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2013, 22:19 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

His red dog, looks like a Japanese ICHIBAN.

FREEDOM~LIBERTY

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2013, 08:08 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

I just watched the documentary a couple of times and am amazed how much their life style is like what the life style of the immigrants in Alaska in the early 1900s was. Any one liking to read such should purchase a copy of Alaska's No. 1 Guide-The History and Journals of Andrew Berg 1869-1939. For a person with a bum hand he was able to have quite a life in the wilderness and seem to be able to repair or make most anything. The only place I have found this book is: Spruce Tree Publishing in Soldotna, AK. info@sprucetreepublishing.com