Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 12:10

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2013, 21:12 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Speaking of historical irony, here's something from WWII. The USS Nevada (from the "silver state" keep that in mind) was a tough old bird. The only BB to get underway during Pear Harbor, she was run around to avoid sinking in the main channel and blocking part of the harbor. She was repaired and back on duty about a year later. But during her repairs:

Nevada's twenty seventh 'first': When it was discovered the ships copper electrical bus bars required replacement after being immersed in sea water for three months there was insufficient replacement copper available at the repair yard. The problem was solved by obtaining ingots of (Nevada mined) silver from the Treasury Department and melting them down into busbars. They ware installed, painted, (and carefully monitored for pilferage by the Captain) thus making Nevada the first and only battleship to be so equipped. As a footnote: There appears to be no record of whether the silver busbars were removed from Nevada prior to her sinking, or if she took them to the bottom of the Pacific with her.

After the war, she was used in 2 atomic bomb testing but still stayed afloat. Later, the ship took a lot more punishment before she went below the waves...

Nevada's thirty eight 'first' was to be the first (and only) US battleship to painted bright orange. This was to indentify her as the target aiming point for the 21 kiloton airburst Shot Able on the 6th of July 1946 (Below Right) during the 'Operation Crossroads' atomic bomb tests at Bikini Atoll. The bomb was detonated 10,000 feet above and 710 yards northwest of the ship. Nevada survived the test and was surveyed and determined to still be in an operable, if radioactive, condition. The second test Shot Baker was an underwater detonation of a 21 kiloton device which also failed to sink Nevada. However, one airborne observer reported the explosion actually lifted the ship clear of the water on an even keel. And although the ship was now highly and dangerously radioactive she was still considered to be only minimally damaged and still operational. It should be noted that the more modern Japanese battleship Nagato, completed in 1923, and taken over by the US Navy at the end of World War II although almost 3 times the distance from 'ground zero' was in worst condition than Nevada after Shot Able and sank the day after Shot Baker (Right). However, Nevada was just beginning to show her incredible Nevadan toughness as will be seen.

Nevada's thirty ninth 'first' was to be the only battleship to ever be lifted clear of the water (!) and survive.

Nevada's fortieth and final, 'first' was to be the toughest target ship the US Navy ever experienced. Being very radioactive Nevada was stored at Kwajalein (Left) until 1948 when she was towed to a point off Hawaii to be sunk as a target. On the 26th of July 1948 a powerful new type of explosive device was tested aboard. Which was detonated without significant damage to the ship. Then on 31 July 1948 Nevada was scheduled to be sunk by naval gunfire from the modern new battleship Iowa BB61 (completed in 1943) and the Light Cruisers Pasadena CL65, Springfield CL66 and Astoria CL90. First from fifteen miles, then just five, Nevada was repeated struck by 16" 6" and 5" gunfire, but refused to sink. Destroyers were sent in to fire hundreds of 5" projectiles into Nevada, yet after the smoke cleared, there was Nevada riding proud and defiant. (Keep in mind all this modern firepower to which Nevada was being subjected to was against a ship never intended to withstand it and was an unmanned, stationary, and already damaged target, which had already survived two atomic bombs and was considered totally obsolete having been designed over forty years earlier). Finally, in sheer frustration the decision was made to torpedo the ship and a TBM Avenger torpedo bomber put a single torpedo into starboard side of Nevada amidships. Slowly at first, Nevada starting listing to starboard, then she abruptly capsized and went down stern first in 2,600 fathoms of water 65 miles southwest of Pearl Harbor with her colors still flying. The toughness of the Nevada was a vindication of, and a tribute to, the men who designed, built and served on this fine ship. And was a testament to the soundness of US battleship designs. Battleship Nevada had produced 40 'firsts' during her illustrious career as the 36th battleship named for the 36th state. One former crewman was heard to remark as the ship disappeared into the Pacific "Certainly every man who ever served aboard her will be forever proud to say: "I served on the greatest of the great battleships -----the USS Nevada, and a part of her mystique will always remain with me". A fitting epitaph for the 'Silver State Battleship' USS Nevada BB36, which repeatedly proved to be as rough and tough as the Sagebrush State she was named for.

Epilog: In 2012 sixty four years after a defiant Battleship Nevada slipped beneath the waves, what little remains of the ship is now located in Museums in Las Vegas and Carson City, Nevada. The ships bell is stored at the Nevada State Museum in Las Vegas NV. While the original Nevada state flag with 36 stars flown aboard Nevada and the original wardroom 'Silver Service', made of Nevada state silver, now reside inside the Nevada State Museum at Carson City NV. And there is a plaque and small memorial to battleship Nevada and her crew located on the grounds of the State Capital. And of course there are, and always will be, the lingering and everlasting memories of this Great Ship.

Battleship Nevada was awarded 7 battlestars for her World War II service

I wonder how many people living in Vegas have any clue of the home town state ship???

Here's the link to the whole story:

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... 6644770479

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2013, 21:15 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

NonPCfed wrote:
Yep, silver's pretty important to a lot of industries. I don't know if I'll go out and actively buy any junk silver but if any gets in my path, I'll pick some up. I think I'll do the bank route with getting a roll (or whatever they have) for half dollars and if they have any Ike dollars (may be easier to pick up the 40% coins than the 90% ones...).

Here's some links to people who occasionally or actively seek junk silver:

5 ways to find old silver
http://cointrackers.com/blog/5-ways-to- ... nk-silver/

Some comments off of a forum I stumbled into:

Re: How likely am I to find junk silver coins in circulation?
Here's the secret, go into a bank perferably one in a snaller town and buy $100 worth of halves and dollars (coins,not the new ones!) and search, the bank will love you as they hate storing them. The great thing it costs you nothing (Spend the reg. coins on gas or something you would anyway) The rewards can be awesome, my boys and I do this and we have found some great coins over the years

Those ripoff "coinstar"/coin counting machines at grocery stores reject silver and foreign coins as do toll boths(save up enough Canadian coins and then trade them in as they are worth more than our $ now). look in the reject slot of these machines. I get maybe 5-10 junk silver coins a year this way usually quarters and dimes. I did find a barely readable 1810 or so US dime coin book valued a few years ago at $14 or so, but those values are high anyway.

I work in a bank and we get rolled coin by the box. I find, on average, 3 - 5 silver quarters or dimes per box. Some boxes contain more some none at all. Luckily the rolls within these boxes are clear plasic and you can see the silver coins among the clads. I just replace the silver coin I find with a clad coin from my pocket change. I've accumulated quite a nice silver stash over the past couple of years.

Recently I found silver half from local banks. One bank has $40 and I exchanged it. When I get home I found 12 silver half. 1 was 1964 Kennedy and 1 was 1962 half. The rest were from 1965 - 1969. After this I went few other banks and in 1 week I fount total of 45 silver halfs. (Kennedy halves from 1965-1970 and Eisenhower dollars 1971-1976 are 40% silver)

Some advice about buying silver content coins on ebay
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1m8lDrK-4Q

I enjoyed watching this guy’s adventures for about two weeks but now it seems he does larger wheeling and dealing and not as much making deals at rummage sales…

NonPC, these kind of promo topics remind me of metal detector ads where each time they walk across a yard they are picking up silver or gold. I would guess a person would have to go thru many, many rolls to find any amount of silver coins. But if one doesn't have anything else to do and likes re-rolling coins, go for it.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2013, 22:58 
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)

Swamp surely you ain't forgetting the little bad boys who steal a roll from grandpa in order to buy a package of whatever. I'm sure that is the only way to find a full roll of silver coins now without buying them at 15 times face value.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2013, 06:26 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

trappintime wrote:
Swamp surely you ain't forgetting the little bad boys who steal a roll from grandpa in order to buy a package of whatever. I'm sure that is the only way to find a full roll of silver coins now without buying them at 15 times face value.

Exactly trappintime! My Daddy is a coin collector of many years and he got lots of coins from Mom and Pop store owners who had "customers" that often used old silver coins yet they didn't seem to have any sort of income.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2013, 06:27 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Swamp- I've never been very good at re-folding maps (sort of ironic for the work I do) so I don't plan to do any re-rolling of coins. Just take them back to the bank and the infamous coin counting machine. Just keep the circle going...

TT- I tend to be an incrementalist, so a goal of finding a whole roll of junk silver coins would be a dream. I think the best bet of that would be estate sales and asking people at rummages if they had any "coin collections" that they might be interested in selling. If I could pull a few coins searching rolls, I'd be happy, especially if I'm just watching tv for a couple of hours in the evening. Like I said, I think looking for 40% halves and Ikes might be more fruitful at the banks.

I'll start after I get back from Boy Scout camp later on this week...

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2013, 07:08 

PC, I hear all you are doing and do it some myself. Donny is the silver magnet for coins and it's actually amazing to me how many he finds in a year. ffAbout 10 years ago, dad bought a couple 9 drawer metal filing cabinets at an auction in the city[we use them for tools, antiques and small stuff]. Under the bottom drawer[we took the drawers out to move them easier] was a hidey hole with a bunch of old money. That was like finding a buried pirates treasure chest. :D Another place I'm always looking for silver is in the kitchen implements at fleamarkets/auctions. Sterling silver is .925 silver and old spoons, knives, forks and tea servings can be found sometimes.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2013, 07:30 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

trappintime wrote:
PC, I hear all you are doing and do it some myself. Donny is the silver magnet for coins and it's actually amazing to me how many he finds in a year. ffAbout 10 years ago, dad bought a couple 9 drawer metal filing cabinets at an auction in the city[we use them for tools, antiques and small stuff]. Under the bottom drawer[we took the drawers out to move them easier] was a hidey hole with a bunch of old money. That was like finding a buried pirates treasure chest. :D Another place I'm always looking for silver is in the kitchen implements at fleamarkets/auctions. Sterling silver is .925 silver and old spoons, knives, forks and tea servings can be found sometimes.

That is a good hint on the "silverware" for it usually looks almost black and is passed over as junk. The oval with the .925 stamped on any piece is a good sign. Same goes for necklaces and bracelets at yard or estate sales.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2013, 13:46 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

Another good place to find old coins is inside old pianos. :wink:

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2013, 14:38 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Here's site that lists some of silver coins of the world. I was glad to know more about when Canada and Mexico stopped using silver in their coins...

http://www.ngccoin.com/priceguide/Coin- ... ilver-Coin

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2013, 21:52 

Found this on ebay[by total accident and researched it cause I was totally bored at 2am :roll: ]

Found this about it.

http://images.goldbergauctions.com/php/ ... 051&lang=1

http://www.coinarchives.com/w/lotviewer ... c4&Match=1

http://www.ngccoin.com/poplookup/world- ... earch=true

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2013, 22:11 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Interesting. I wonder if those pointy ends would hurt carrying around in your pocket comapred to a standard round coin (then again, were these things ever used??)

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2013, 23:16 

NonPCfed wrote:
Interesting. I wonder if those pointy ends would hurt carrying around in your pocket comapred to a standard round coin (then again, were these things ever used??)

There were only 200 made in 1936 of this type. Kinda/sorta a commemorative thingy. I am only hoping it's the real deal. There were fakes produced of a few other years I've found out but not this one yet. Now I'm trying to find out how to get it authenticated if I figure it's for real.

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2013, 12:36 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Well, I've been running a little experiment this summer and fall looking for 40% silver half dollars. Every 2 weeks when I get my "allowance", I stop by a couple of banks and ask if they have any 50 cent piences. I usually pick up 5-20 that way. My non-ferrous metal recycler also has a sense of humor about the cash they pay out by liking to use $2 bills and 50 cent pieces, so I've bought at least one roll that way (20 coins). So far, I've handled well over a hundred half dollars and have found NO pre-1971 coins (the 40% silver ran from 1965-1970). I think I'm going to continue through Christmas time just in case someone breaks open grandpa's or ma's coin collection and cashes some in. But from now to then I think I'll save all the 50 cent pieces I get and try to buy a few real silver coins.

I was looking around about American Silver Eagles and the retail doesn't appear to be too bad. Some places were selling for about $25-27 (not counting shipping) which is only a bit over current spot (these are 1 troy ounces). I tried to look up Canadian Polar silver coins (1.5 troy ounces) but they seem a bit more spendy over spot, ranging from $45-59 (current spot for 1.5 t. oz. of silver should be in the low $30s). Just wondering if any of you guys have bought these silver coins and perhaps recommend some decent selling places that don't make a ton of extra money off of a buyer...

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2014, 12:45 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I came across this guy's postings recently. I'm not going to get into it in a big way but I'm going to buy a handful of US nickel rolls every pay period. Besides, I'll get to look for "war nickels" (1942-1945) that were 35% silver. I went through 200 nickels the other week but alas not much older than the late 1950s. We'll see how it goes...

http://www.survivalblog.com/nickels.html

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2014, 15:03 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I'm like Swamp. My precious metals are guns, knives, tools and the like. I do have small amounts of gold and silver stashed. If your going to keep gold and silver then keep it in smaller "denominations". Easier to trade 1/16oz for a bottle of aspirin then try to break up a 1 oz ingot for the same. TT ive been a sucker before an told someone what theyre selling is worth much more. Moral and ethics get in the way at times. I bought a Belgium Browning Auto5 12ga for $50 and had to go back to the owner. Felt guilty. At that time it was a $500+ gun. Im not a survivalist but i believe in being prepared. Government handouts of soup and koolaid arent in my future plans. I just made a deal this morning for 400lbs of lead from a guy in St. Louis. Thats my favorite precious metal. I think time is growing short to gather metals and other things. Remember the guy with the gold and no guns soon becomesthe man with no gold. PC sometimes diminishing returns comes to mind. Smelting gold and silver is dangerous. Maybe if you had some experienced partners but going it alone id be leery. I do wish you luck if you delve into it. Incidentally, the surplus plastic mortar tubes buried on end are awesome for storage. Place a chunk of scrap iron about 6" above, beat same width as the tube. Less ground diisturbance too.. Auger digs quick holes, stay near fences keeps curious people away. Now thats a hijack..;-)

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2014, 20:14 

Back not screwing someone on a gun deal doesn't make you a sucker. I've paid more than asking price as well but never forget that there are little old gals who will use their wiles to take what you have. :shock:
PC there are a lot of threads on the internet of people mining for 90% or whatever coins. I ain't saying you won't find a a full roll someday but the chances are about the same as me finding a gold nugget in our sand pit.
As for good deals on Silver/gold they are out there. sign up to Apmex and get their emails about deals. Every once in a spell they put a blow out price on something. On ebay you can get ebay bux and or 4 times ebay bux. Also 1% for a fat wallet and another 1% for something else I can't get in Canada. It don't really matter two days after you make a good deal anyway as the price will drop or raise making the deal less of the occasion than just owning the Precious metal. I've been having some luck finding guys who bought silver because of the hype at $30+ dollars and now they just want their cash out. I am not above helping someone out by giving him spot for a bunch of silver especially if they art bars I think will bring a premium down the road.
https://comparesilverprices.com

https://comparegoldprices.com

http://compareplatinumprices.com

http://comparepalladiumprices.com

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2014, 06:43 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

tt- Yes, some of your "art" silver bars are "interesting" to say the least from what you've shown. The "Old Man" from "Pawn Stars" (who supposedly is a big time silver hoarder) would probably appreciate them highly :)