Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 22 Oct 2017, 23:34

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2013, 23:29 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Like the topic says...I'm brand new. I don't know trapper slang. I don't have any trapper friends. I don't have any trappin' gear yet. I'm an outdoor lover and I've been huntin' and fishin' all my life. I could probably buy some traps and get some success but I want to start right. So I guess I would like to get any info I can get to have the best chances of success. Should I buy body gripping, snares or footholds. What species should I target etc etc. I live in Bonner Springs, KS...the western suburbs of KCK. The Kansas river is 1.5 miles away from my driveway. I know there are plenty of coon, opossum, coyote, fox and I have seen bobcat tracks at the river but not sure if there is much opportunity for cats right here. I also know there is good chance of wandering family pets and I don't want to catch or harm any of them. I never see any family dogs or cats in the main area I'd like to set in but I'm sure they stroll by sometime or another. Any info I can get will be much appreciated.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2013, 06:46 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Hello and welcome to WAT....

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2013, 13:53 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

My experience with trapping is limited, but my experience in trying to find a friendly trapping site to join is larger.
Stick with WAT, nice, very experienced trappers willing to give advice. Every time I come here I learn something new, which makes me want to run a line even more.
Welcome :!: :--D mg

FREEDOM~LIBERTY

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2013, 18:06 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Welcome to WAT rodrando, make your self at home.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2013, 19:11 
Trapper
Trapper

any chance of domestics means body grips on land are out.............submerged bodygrips on the other hand are a thing to think about for water critters. with coon around i would think about dp's..........some softcatch 1.75's should do you well with fox and coyote and allow a nice release for some unwanted catches...

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2013, 21:48 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Hi Rodrando, welcome to WAT. You will find that the trappers on here are very good teachers and very friendly so jump right in and enjoy yourself. Glad to have you here. By the way I know Bonner Springs very well. I have family there. Have spent a great deal of time there for the last 48 yrs. Happy trappin! :--D :--D :--D :--D :--D