Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 15 Dec 2017, 11:11

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need a little favor
PostPosted: 16 Jan 2013, 01:08 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I was recently at the local Sporting goods store. This is about the only store around that actually has any traps. I see a sign that Says "Montana approved wolf traps". To begin with there is no such thing. Only Montana legal. Which basically means an 8 pound pan tention and not over 9". Real irony being I cant use a bodygripper on land that is over 6". Well I had to take a look. They had two traps Bridger #5 CS($42) laminated and Bridger #9s. Now most of you already know my feelings that only a complete idiot would set a #9 in most of this state. (you cannot get away from skiiers, snow shoers and their dogs). A lot of them being anti's doesnt help. Now to the more practical point. They do not currently carry an MB 750. Simple math here figures I can buy three MBs for the price of one #9. While speaking to the store associates, Some of whom are trappers. I found out they want to stock the #750s but are having a hard time convincing corperate of the need. The Antis here have been preaching that we will all be using the 9" traps. SO by using those, one instance of a dog in one will jusify all there screaming (Real or posed).

If you all would email or call them and ask them to trade the #9s for the MB 750s (in Montana) a lot of trappers here would be gratefull. And you would be
making it a lot easier for some of the newbys to get into the sport. Not to mention safer. As well as giving access to a good beaver trap.

http://us.wholesalesports.com/storefront/contact.ep

Post subject: Re: Need a little favor
PostPosted: 16 Jan 2013, 09:40 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

jase wrote:
I would like to help and I'll see what I can do, but wonder if they will not catch on to me being out of State. I do feel your pain, and I am sorry for it.

I understand your passion ww, but honestly, if it is like you say and the politicians and liberal folks are laying down a schemed plan to oust trapping (esp wolves), then it won't take a dog getting in a bridger brawn to get them moving,,,,,it will only take a trapped dog getting in a wolf set period, no matter if it's in an MB, or #5, or even one of your larger long springs. If they are that entrenched in the idea of a ban, you can count on that. So what will all you do, just give up wolf trapping?

This all reminds me of how terrorism gains it's strength,,,,,by striking fear in the heart of the people they want to terrorize, and making them afraid to live their lives, even if the laws of the land allow free living.

Don't worry yourself sick friend,,,,,that's what they want you to do, and they are winning. I'm not saying to be complacent, but fight the battle on the right field and in the right frame of mind.

Its not just the political issue.(didnt really mean to play that up so much) The MB is a better trap for the job anyway. It is safer to use, has a wider feild of use, and is a lot more affordable. I cant afford to make a large trap order. But I can afford to go pick up a $30 trap on a payday. And I would emagine feedback from any trapper would work. On a side note, One issue they are having is accidental capture of lions. Be a lot easier to release one from the smaller trap and easier on them.