Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 09:47

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New puppy
PostPosted: 19 Jun 2007, 08:17 
Trapper
Trapper

Well, I did it last night, I went and picked out my father's day present from my wife and kids. They got me my beagle puppy. He is 7 weeks old and the cutest dog I have seen. I have to pick him up on Sunday because I have to go away this weekend to a fire fighting conference. I took a few pictures of him last night, but I need to get them downloaded so I can get them up on here. I will post them as soon as I can.

I think I need help picking out a name though. I have one dog with a fire name, and since this will be my hunting dog, I think he should have a hunting or gun name :) The only one I am considering right now is gunner. After spending 4 years in the Navy as a gunner, it kinda fits, but I am open to other suggestions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Jun 2007, 09:53 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

What is this pup's breeding ?gunner sounds good, would be easy to yell......How about "single shot"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Jun 2007, 11:26 
Trapper
Trapper

He is purebred, both parents are good hunters, no field champions, but good hunters none-the-less.

Already got that nose to the ground :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Jun 2007, 12:34 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

He is one fine looking hound pup.I like them blanket back ones .I took mine out this morning for awhile and he is just about to start .Its alot harder starting one on his own without any other dogs that will run a rabbit.Maybe I should have kept one of them I sold .He sure is marked good .he just looks like a rabbit runner.how many you got?That conference, was it at Champagne Ill.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Jun 2007, 13:03 
Trapper
Trapper

I have just the one. My brother got one out of the same litter, but my buddy has 2 that will run for days. I will use them a little further down the road for training. My brother is at the Champaign School this week. There are explorers and cadets from around the country competing in different firefighting abilities events. He is the leader of our explorer program. The one I am going to is in Springfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Jun 2007, 13:40 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I seen on my local news the deal at Champagne is going on ,looked pretty interesting .I'am 45 mile south of there. Having dogs that will run a rabbit by him will definitely speed up the training .

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Jun 2007, 14:06 
Trapper
Trapper

That and I have PLENTY in my neiborhood. They are constantly in my yard, so I am going to get some shelter in the yard and let him find them and give them a little chase.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Jun 2007, 14:25 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

That is what I'am doing with my pup right now .I made a few brush piles around the yard[5 or 6] not real big either 8 foot across and 4 foot wide by 4 foot tall.I first put down 2 ,,6 foot long pieces of 6 inch black drainage pipe that way if there are any varmints around the rabbit can get away from them in the pipe.Then I put out several rabbit salt and mineral blocks around the piles. you can get these at most feed or farm supply stores .I also found they like the salt for soft water softeners.each one of my piles have 2to 4 rabbits in them most of the time.He will take line and go for maybe a hundred yards but just aint barked yet.I live in the country and have to draw my rabbits in.leave a little cover and a place were they can get away from the predators and you will soon have rabbits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Jun 2007, 15:21 
Trapper
Trapper

Soon?? I would bet that there are at least 2 there right now :D
They LOVE my yard. Just like the squirrels LOVE my birdfeeder. Until they get a water bottle or whatever else is handy thrown at them, then they laugh at me for missing and stay away for a couple days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Jun 2007, 17:13 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Here's my, wanna be ,should be, could be, ......MAYBE.....Image :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject: Update
PostPosted: 26 Jun 2007, 09:27 
Trapper
Trapper

Well, I got him and named him Gunner. It seems to be a good name I guess :)

The first night he was up ALL night. I put him in a carrier in the basement and he whined all night. Last night I wanted to try something a little different due to the fact that even during the day he doesn't want to sleep without touching someone. I put him in a smaller carrier and put him on the floor next to my bed. I hung my arm off of the bed and put my fingers in the door holes of the carrier. He cuddled up to them and went to sleep just fine. A few minutes after, I pulled my fingers out and went to bed. When he would wake up alone, he would whine a little bit so I would repeat the process. If he went back to sleep he was fine, if he kept whining he had to go to the bathroom. He ended up going out twice last night with no accidents in his carrier. And I actually got some much needed sleep. So far there has only been one accident in the house and that was my fault. I saw him sniffing but didn't get to him in time. A dog will not stop pooping just because you say no and pick him up, and it is better to have 1 pile than it is to have a 15' line from the living room to the door. We are still learning :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Jun 2007, 13:44 
Trapper
Trapper

Nice looken pups guys makes me think it's time to get another one my pup was killed on the highway last fall. Havent been ready for another one yet it's like loseing a family member.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Jul 2007, 12:01 
Trapper
Trapper

Nice looking pups, too bad you are so far away, i have plenty of rabbits around here. My chessie run em down once in awhile, but not the same as listening to a hound. Take Care. Tom