Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 10:01

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jun 2007, 12:56 
Trapper
Trapper

We finish off this week with two Minnesota boys with a record black bear. It weighed 400+ pounds and was the largest recorded bear by our Game Warden in the 10 years he's served in our region. Dave and Dale have something to be very proud of.

Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jun 2007, 14:00 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

Awesome pictures. Thanks for sharing. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Jun 2007, 22:34 
Trapper
Trapper

Nice pics, and looks like a good time was had by all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Jun 2007, 08:47 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

really nice pictures someday I will shoot a bear :lol:

beaver-4
muskrat-3
mink-2

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Jun 2007, 11:04 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Nutz,I didnt find the bear pic.s ,but I did find the elk pic. I described .within 15 seconds of this pic. being taken I sent the 125 thunder head and the Easton shaft sizzling between the 4 and 5 th rib.If you look close you can make out parts of me in the right hand edge of the pic. 17 yard shot he never went more than 40 yards.My good friend took the photo.....Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Jun 2007, 11:41 
Trapper
Trapper

Great looking photo! I guess that is why I guide, hunting alone never gives you those kind of photos or such celebration amongst friends. You certainly are camo'd well. He never knew what was in store for him. Was that taken in your home State?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Jun 2007, 12:07 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I wish, the Elk here in Illinois are few and far between and when you do see one there is most likely a ten foot high fence around them and they are hard to climb :lol: :lol: :lol: This pic. was taken near Fort Collins Colorado .Loveland ,Drake, are all near by.The Big Thompson is the drainage for this area .My buddy is not a bad photographer.The nice part was it was all down hill on the pack out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Jun 2007, 10:59 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

ok I have a question. I just got a peep sight put on my bow and I have never used one before. I was wondering do I close my left eye? or do I leave it open?

beaver-4
muskrat-3
mink-2

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Jun 2007, 11:06 
Trapper
Trapper

If you are right handed with a bow, you close your left eye. Opposite with a left handed bow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Jun 2007, 12:41 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

O.K. Iam going to ruffle some feathers here.but here go's, first what ever work's for you stick with it no matter what any one say's.I 've bowhunted since 1974 I've tried every thing to come down the pike .I dont use a peep for a couple of reasons .one, in low light situations when the peep comes back to your eye when at full draw it cuts down on the amount of light you can see, which is need to see your sight's . You can shoot earlier and later without the peep.you can drill the hole out and make it bigger and it helps but does not cure the problem.second,I was at full draw one time on a nice 11 point buck when the surgical tubing slipped off ,totally keeping me from making the shot. I 'am not very forgiving when equipment screws me .took it off have never had one since .Here is my opinion on bow's and equipment. keep it simple and basic. I am not saying any thing bad about any bow shop but these people are there to make money, they may or may not sell you stuff you really dont need .I have a simple Martin cross hair sight a simple rest not a fall away or arrow holding feature just a good well built rest .I do use a kisser button and some are saying ah -ha But I use them in away they are not built for .Iput them on as string silencers.they have quieted my bow down more than any silencers I ever had on it and I've been shooting the same bow for 15 years. The kisser buttons dont fold water on the days it is raining either .Tell you what you do go buy or barrow a traditional bow long or recurve .no store bought rest no sight just stick and string[I started with one, hunted with it till I killed a deer with it].shoot it every day for a hour each day for 2 weeks .then pick up your good compound bow and go out there and start shooting I promise you it will make you a better shot.when your out hunting with a bow you dont need all them bell's and whistles.Bells and whistles scare game .The more basic you keep it the less things can go wrong when you are doing the death dance with your quarry,

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Jun 2007, 04:05 
Trapper
Trapper

I have to say as well as others, you are the first to have no peep sight on a compound bow. Not that I do not approve,,, For god's sake that method that you have described would have possibly downed a brown bear lurking in that area. Had it not been for the "wet peep sight" he'd had made the shot. The question I have with such'a hunter is this: He said the peep sight was filled with water (oooo,, I am thinking this guy never has shot with a recurve). As it was told to me,,, he pulled back three times with a sight filled with water then saw the bear (no more than 30 yards from his stand). In the same evening, he says he could not pull the bow on him as he stood near our rifle blind (which was 10 yards). A minus peep as you suggested, may have gotten this bear. As it is, his story and my bait still awaits a confident hunter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Jun 2007, 07:40 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Nutz I have seen that water in the peep sight problem also .I was told when I bought mine it was to improve your form and hold your head straight.Well I'll tell you this if you are having form problems the bow will let you know.if you are cocking your head to the inside [which is most common hardly ever away from the sting]the string will start raking the end of your nose thus the bow is telling you to straighten your head up.same way with raking your for arm this still happens to me once in awhile on the practice range .you shoot and shoot and shoot ,your arm and wrist start getting tiered you cock your wrist to the outside to brace the bow better [away from your bow ]this intern pulls your bow over towards your arm or moves your forearm in towards the string which ever way you want to look at it.and the sting lashes your inside forearm.ouch .again the bow is telling you something is wrong with your form.lay the bow down and let your weak arm and wrist recover go back out start shooting and you will able to hold the bow straight again without cocking your wrist. Again if it helps your shooting stick with it by all means .Dont let some one tell you that it will help you when in really may not.try it if you think it helps use it another thing with the peep it has to be served into the string .I cant tell you how many times on the practice range and in the woods Ive had guys say man my serving has come loose and my peep is moving.one more thing to go wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Jun 2007, 20:38 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Nutz still aint got every thing going yet took me a half hour to load up to here on this site.lighting sure is hard on things, all 4 0f my phones got zapped T.V. its shot ,my security light in my yard is toast.and this computer aint right but we'll keep trying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Jul 2007, 10:34 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

got a new computer tring to figure it out .

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Jul 2007, 10:52 
Trapper
Trapper

Looks like your getting it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Jul 2007, 12:36 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I'm getting it Skinner but it takes practice .the older I get the less I like change. this one has some feature I think I'll like once I learn how to use them :D