Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 05:41

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Flooding
PostPosted: 20 Apr 2011, 10:19 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

well the name says it all...went to bed last night about midnight and had no idea it even rained lol

normally my boat is about 30 feet up the bank which has about a 2 foot high bank

as you can see just how high it is from that dock

if you see the walk way to the marenia normally you have to walk down that ramp now you got to walk up lol

Check out my you tube page!!! alot of the stuff i learned on here i have made video's of them ..... http://www.youtube.com/user/ski31989?feature=mhee

Post subject: Re: Flooding
PostPosted: 20 Apr 2011, 11:30 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

You live in "Hippo-town" ? :roll:

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2011, 13:58 

Don't worry Ski, The rain is done until Friday, it has a whole day and a half till it starts raining again. Then it will rain another 3 days. :roll: This April has been rediculous! I swear it has rained 15 out 20 days so far and if the weather channel is correct, it's been in the 80's and very little rain in Swamp Rat country (Texas) all month.

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2011, 17:05 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

like my grandson would say
" way to much water Prampa "

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2011, 17:29 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

We had a lot of water too but not that much !! :shock:

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2011, 17:43 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

:? We just advised that our BURN BAN has been extended for 90 more days due to the DROUGHT we are in. Feast to Famine.

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2011, 21:29 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Nothing but rain and cloudy days here for a while. Hopefully nothing as bad as what Ski has gotten lately, be safe out there Ski.

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2011, 21:50 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

very dry here. The central kansas wheat crop is in trouble! :(

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2011, 22:28 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

well all we are being safe its just crazy i am going home for easter and i am worried about my boat lol i never seen it up this high before. we could go fro a dry spell for a month ...maybe then i could finish my dads birthday gift :? well by now its a fathers day gift lol :--D i bought him 2 loads of stone for the drive way at camp and we cant get a bobcat in there to move any of it the yard is to wet its lake a mini pond all you do is sink if you even drive a car on it :P :--D and NO i am not moving it by hand :twisted: i love my dad alot but i aint doing that lol

Check out my you tube page!!! alot of the stuff i learned on here i have made video's of them ..... http://www.youtube.com/user/ski31989?feature=mhee

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2011, 10:36 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Ski, did you lose your boat? Or is it just submerged?

What river is that?

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2011, 10:46 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

no i didnt lose it, it is just under water ..it is the monongahela river lol :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2011, 10:54 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Well then I hope your boat survives ok Ski. Keep us posted.

We've had lots of rain this April but no major flooding here.

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2011, 18:23 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

erik_caught_it wrote:
very dry here. The central kansas wheat crop is in trouble! :(

I guess the corn is in trouble too cause I just paid $ 20.00 for a 100 lb. bag of whole kernal. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: When are our idiot politicians going to stop turning FOOD into gas and drill for the oil we have right here ??!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: Frickin' idiots.

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2011, 21:39 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Not that I want to start a political fight, especially on Easter, but being a nephew and cousin of corn farmers and from a state that has over a dozen currently corn-based ethanol plants, I can’t let Doc’s swipe at grain based ethanol as the cause of high corn prices go without some rebuttal.

Yes, currently corn is at a higher price per bushel but this driven by a number of things besides just ethanol production (one is the amount now being shipped to Far Asian countries who like corn finished meat animals just as much as we do and now have the money to import the grain). There have been many years where grain framers have struggled to make enough on their crops to pay for their costs invested for the season. What was the price of Doc’s 100 pound feed sack when my uncles and cousins were getting $2 a bushel for their corn??? We also didn’t have $5+ a gallon of fuel and increased transportation costs affect EVERYTHING we buy. Another thing that people who bash ethanol, such as national media pundits, never mention is the other by-product after the starch from the corn kernel is used what is left over is “distillers’ grain” that is sold as a supplemental livestock feed. For every train load of ethanol leaving SD, there’s a train load of distiller’s grain as well.

I’m not an apologist for big agriculture. None of my farming relatives went broke but none of them ever got too much bigger and there will be no full time farmers in my extended family in another ten years. I miss the days of smaller farms in my state where a kid that grew up in a “city” could stop in and get hunting permission to go chase around some pheasants or ducks. Those days are pretty much gone and if a guy doesn’t have a few Uncle Bens hanging out of his pocket, than hunting is pretty much out of the question. But it’s not surprising when we watch individual industries become dominated by the big guys. Farming is that much different, only that it’s taken longer than other industries.

I think we should have a diversified energy portfolio. If the coal region folks think we should make vehicle fuel out of coal (the Germans ran their military during the second half of World War II doing just that), I’m all for it. We should be converting vehicles to run on natural gas which North America also has large amounts. The Midwest ethanol guys are ready to start making cellulosic hooch out of corn cobs and corn stover but according to them, the E10% market is saturated and until the EPA approves higher percentage blends for a larger number of older cars, they’re not going to build cellulosic factories. Personally, the sooner we can get more domestic energy from whatever sources, the sooner we can tell our off-shore “friends” to go get lost and stop spending or making money to and for those losers!!! We’ll keep our money and they can have the “change”!!!

P.S. Sorry for jacking your thread, ski!

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2011, 23:21 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

HAHAHAH is all good PC i new it was going to happen sooner or later lol

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2011, 17:47 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

This is what it looked like this morning, another good one or two comeing.

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2011, 18:17 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

:--? hope things calm down for you man its calmed down here at least for awhile.... river is still moving good though some kinds from the college tried swimming across it today and i thought i was going to have to go back on my lifeguarding skills :? luckly they made it barely though

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2011, 18:35 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

NonPCfed wrote:
Not that I want to start a political fight, especially on Easter, but being a nephew and cousin of corn farmers and from a state that has over a dozen currently corn-based ethanol plants, I can’t let Doc’s swipe at grain based ethanol as the cause of high corn prices go without some rebuttal.

Yes, currently corn is at a higher price per bushel but this driven by a number of things besides just ethanol production (one is the amount now being shipped to Far Asian countries who like corn finished meat animals just as much as we do and now have the money to import the grain). There have been many years where grain framers have struggled to make enough on their crops to pay for their costs invested for the season. What was the price of Doc’s 100 pound feed sack when my uncles and cousins were getting $2 a bushel for their corn??? We also didn’t have $5+ a gallon of fuel and increased transportation costs affect EVERYTHING we buy. Another thing that people who bash ethanol, such as national media pundits, never mention is the other by-product after the starch from the corn kernel is used what is left over is “distillers’ grain” that is sold as a supplemental livestock feed. For every train load of ethanol leaving SD, there’s a train load of distiller’s grain as well.

I’m not an apologist for big agriculture. None of my farming relatives went broke but none of them ever got too much bigger and there will be no full time farmers in my extended family in another ten years. I miss the days of smaller farms in my state where a kid that grew up in a “city” could stop in and get hunting permission to go chase around some pheasants or ducks. Those days are pretty much gone and if a guy doesn’t have a few Uncle Bens hanging out of his pocket, than hunting is pretty much out of the question. But it’s not surprising when we watch individual industries become dominated by the big guys. Farming is that much different, only that it’s taken longer than other industries.

I think we should have a diversified energy portfolio. If the coal region folks think we should make vehicle fuel out of coal (the Germans ran their military during the second half of World War II doing just that), I’m all for it. We should be converting vehicles to run on natural gas which North America also has large amounts. The Midwest ethanol guys are ready to start making cellulosic hooch out of corn cobs and corn stover but according to them, the E10% market is saturated and until the EPA approves higher percentage blends for a larger number of older cars, they’re not going to build cellulosic factories. Personally, the sooner we can get more domestic energy from whatever sources, the sooner we can tell our off-shore “friends” to go get lost and stop spending or making money to and for those losers!!! We’ll keep our money and they can have the “change”!!!

P.S. Sorry for jacking your thread, ski!

Pardon me , but I wasn't bashing farmers. Maybe this will help explain what I meant :

Ethanol Fuel from Corn Faulted as ‘Unsustainable Subsidized Food Burning’
David Pimental, a leading Cornell University agricultural expert, has calculated that powering the average U.S. automobile for one year on ethanol (blended with gasoline) derived from corn would require 11 acres of farmland, the same space needed to grow a year's supply of food for seven people. Adding up the energy costs of corn production and its conversion into ethanol, 131,000 BTUs are needed to make one gallon of ethanol. One gallon of ethanol has an energy value of only 77,000 BTUS. Thus, 70 percent more energy is required to produce ethanol than the energy that actually is in it. Every time you make one gallon of ethanol, there is a net energy loss of 54,000 BTUs.

Mr. Pimentel concluded that "abusing our precious croplands to grow corn for an energy-inefficient process that yields low-grade automobile fuels amounts to unsustainable subsidized food burning".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Neither increases in government subsidies to corn-based ethanol fuel nor hikes in the price of petroleum can overcome what Cornell University agricultural scientist, David Pimentel, calls a fundamental input-yield problem: It takes more energy to make ethanol from grain than the combustion of ethanol produces.

At a time when ethanol-gasoline mixtures (gasohol) are touted as the American answer to fossil fuel shortages by corn producers, food processors and some lawmakers, Cornell’s David Pimentel, one of the world’s leading experts in issues relating to energy and agriculture, takes a longer range view.

"Abusing our precious croplands to grow corn for an energy-inefficient process that yields low-grade automobile fuel amounts to unsustainable, subsidized food burning", says the Cornell professor in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences. Pimentel, who chaired a U.S. Department of Energy panel that investigated the energetics, economics and environmental aspects of ethanol production several years ago, subsequently conducted a detailed analysis of the corn-to-car fuel process. His findings are published in the September, 2001 issue of the Encyclopedia of Physical Sciences and Technology .

Among his findings are:
An acre of U.S. corn yields about 7,110 pounds of corn for processing into 328 gallons of ethanol. But planting, growing and harvesting that much corn requires about 140 gallons of fossil fuels and costs $347 per acre, according to Pimentel’s analysis. Thus, even before corn is converted to ethanol, the feedstock costs $1.05 per gallon of ethanol.
The energy economics get worse at the processing plants, where the grain is crushed and fermented. As many as three distillation steps are needed to separate the 8 percent ethanol from the 92 percent water. Additional treatment and energy are required to produce the 99.8 percent pure ethanol for mixing with gasoline.
Adding up the energy costs of corn production and its conversion to ethanol, 131,000 BTUs are needed to make 1 gallon of ethanol. One gallon of ethanol has an energy value of only 77,000 BTU. "Put another way", Pimentel says, "about 70 percent more energy is required to produce ethanol than the energy that actually is in ethanol. Every time you make 1 gallon of ethanol, there is a net energy loss of 54,000 BTU".
Ethanol from corn costs about $1.74 per gallon to produce, compared with about 95 cents to produce a gallon of gasoline. "That helps explain why fossil fuels-not ethanol-are used to produce ethanol", Pimentel says. "The growers and processors can’t afford to burn ethanol to make ethanol. U.S. drivers couldn’t afford it, either, if it weren’t for government subsidies to artificially lower the price".
Most economic analyses of corn-to-ethanol production overlook the costs of environmental damages, which Pimentel says should add another 23 cents per gallon. "Corn production in the U.S. erodes soil about 12 times faster than the soil can be reformed, and irrigating corn mines groundwater 25 percent faster than the natural recharge rate of ground water. The environmental system in which corn is being produced is being rapidly degraded. Corn should not be considered a renewable resource for ethanol energy production, especially when human food is being converted into ethanol".
The approximately $1 billion a year in current federal and state subsidies (mainly to large corporations) for ethanol production are not the only costs to consumers, the Cornell scientist observes. Subsidized corn results in higher prices for meat, milk and eggs because about 70 percent of corn grain is fed to livestock and poultry in the United States. Increasing ethanol production would further inflate corn prices, Pimentel says, noting: "In addition to paying tax dollars for ethanol subsidies, consumers would be paying significantly higher food prices in the marketplace".
Nickels and dimes aside, some drivers still would rather see their cars fueled by farms in the Midwest than by oil wells in the Middle East, Pimentel acknowledges, so he calculated the amount of corn needed to power an automobile:
The average U.S. automobile, traveling 10,000 miles a year on pure ethanol (not a gasoline-ethanol mix) would need about 852 gallons of the corn-based fuel. This would take 11 acres to grow, based on net ethanol production. This is the same amount of cropland required to feed seven Americans.
If all the automobiles in the United States were fueled with 100 percent ethanol, a total of about 97 percent of U.S. land area would be needed to grow the corn feedstock. Corn would cover nearly the total land area of the United States.

For further information, contact:
Roger Segelken
Phone: 607-255-9736
E-Mail: hrs2@cornell.edu

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2011, 19:07 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

You better get out and move the wood pile to higher ground or else someone is going to have to cut more wood!

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2011, 17:07 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

MAN!!! Just told on channel 5 NEWS...5"-6" more rain next 24 hrs., gonna get deeeeeep :--o

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2011, 18:29 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

WS make sure you move the stuff out of you basment!!! i saw that on the news today besafe!!!