Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 22 Oct 2017, 13:53

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hard Water Fishing
PostPosted: 22 Dec 2010, 17:04 
PSYCHO SASQUATCH
PSYCHO SASQUATCH

Anyone out on the ice yet? Our lake is a bit thin, and the temps went up just a touch, now it looks pretty weak. I'm jonesing to get out after some perch and pike. How's the ice elsewhere? Let's see some pics.... something... lol

Lifetime:
Red Squirrel- 4 (in the garage)
Beaver- 1
Coyote- 1
Fisher-3
Raccoon- 3
Red Fox- 1
Skunk-1
My left index and middle finger in a 110
Left hand in a 220

Post subject: Re: Hard Water Fishing
PostPosted: 22 Dec 2010, 21:16 

The lakes are frozen around where I live but nobody fishing yet. I believe it's just a little to thin yet. On Monday I was working in Elkins West Virginia and drove past Deep Creek Lake in Maryland which is an excellent place to ice fish and it's a very big lake. It was completly frozen also.

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2010, 08:42 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

they are sayin there on 2 of our lakes here already. but only on 3 inches of ice. not thick enough for me in to be out there

Duck-
Regular goose-

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2010, 08:43 
It would never be thick enough for me. My nerves cannot stand the popping and cracking of the ice. I tried it once many years ago, promised the Good Lord I would never do it again :P

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2010, 08:48 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

we plan a late season goose hunt on the ice. snow builds up on the ice and we gonna dig holes in the snow to drop in layouts and put the spread in front with a plond. (plastic pond) should be interesting but im itchin to get some fishin in after all the huntin is said and done

Duck-
Regular goose-

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2010, 12:42 

redrooster wrote:
It would never be thick enough for me. My nerves cannot stand the popping and cracking of the ice. I tried it once many years ago, promised the Good Lord I would never do it again :P

C'mon Red! Where's your sense of adventure. I remember the first time I went ice fishing, it was early March and went with a seasoned hard water angler. I heard this real loud "CRACK!!" :--o I asked him if I should be concerned and he said "nope, does that all the time". I didn't see anybody else running off the lake so I guess it's alright. :D

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2010, 15:58 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

been on the ice t gotten since last wed. here...i havent had a chance yet but will be out later on though :--D

Check out my you tube page!!! alot of the stuff i learned on here i have made video's of them ..... http://www.youtube.com/user/ski31989?feature=mhee

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2010, 16:25 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

GLASFORD — A boy who was revived after 90 minutes submerged in frigid Banner Marsh lake water Tuesday died early Wednesday and was being remembered by family later in the day for his quiet demeanor.

Michael Hallor, 15, of 257 S. Ninth St. in Canton was pronounced dead at 8:10 a.m. Wednesday at OSF Saint Francis Medical Center - more than 12 hours after arriving at the hospital in a helicopter from the state park that straddles the Peoria County and Fulton County line near the Illinois River.

"He was a very quiet person, a good kid," Maxine Welker, the grandmother of the Canton High School freshman, said Wednesday from the family home in Canton.

School let out an hour early Tuesday to mark the beginning of Christmas break, and the boy and his father, 43-year-old Frank Hallor, headed to the east point access area of Banner Marsh State Fish and Wildlife Area for some ice fishing.

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2010, 18:54 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Let me ask you guys a question ! Would you be out there fishing if there was no ice,just cold 8|-

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2010, 20:39 
PSYCHO SASQUATCH
PSYCHO SASQUATCH

jeff kanagy wrote:
Let me ask you guys a question ! Would you be out there fishing if there was no ice,just cold 8|-

Pulled the boat only a few weeks ago. I fish when I can for what I can. Soon as the ice is out, I'll launch the boat.

Good news is, today saw a few guys in one of the bays, they said there was 6 inches. If it's cold the next few days, I'll be out there. :)

Lifetime:
Beaver- 1
Coyote- 1
Fisher-3
Raccoon- 3
Red Fox- 1
Skunk-1
Left hand in a 220

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2010, 20:45 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

THATS AWESOME.. I could fish 24/7 myself .. We catch alot of stripper down this way I could take you somwhere and I promise withine A week youd have A 30 # or more stripper + severall 20 somethine pounders mabey evan A 50 60 # r.. We use live trout to catch them... its A little bit cold now have to ask my freind if there still biteing.. Good Luck :D :D :D

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2010, 16:27 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Red rooster- I've never gotten totally accepting of the ice popping and cracking but then when you hear that after drilling through 2 feet of ice with a hand auger, you know its just the way of the ice talking. I hope to start a week of ice rat & mink trapping on the sloughs on Sunday and there shouldn't be any question of the ice being thick enough, but until a guy runs around on it for the first time in the season, there's always something that knaws away in the back of the mind that this doesn't seem natural. :wink:

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2011, 20:57 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

redrooster wrote:

I'm with you Red! Plus the chilly factor...I'll be in the local pub that serves fish first!LOL

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2011, 22:23 

trapperrick wrote:
redrooster wrote:

C'mon Red! Where's your sense of adventure. I remember the first time I went ice fishing, it was early March and went with a seasoned hard water angler. I heard this real loud "CRACK!!" :--o I asked him if I should be concerned and he said "nope, does that all the time". I didn't see anybody else running off the lake so I guess it's alright. :D

that popping and cracking is the ice flexing up and down. you'll hear it much more on days of heavy wind. when the ice expands, mostly at night, it makes a strange sound i cant really describe. i live on a little crappie lake and until i got the trapping bug, used to fish it feverishly. late season ice out is the best, both for fishing and for the experience. all the snow is gone off the ice and ground. the holes remain open cuz night temps stay above freezing. there's still 3 feet of ice so you can drive anywhere you want to, if you know the body of water and its currents and springs. nothing like sitting out on the ice in tee shirts when we get those 60 degree days, drinking beer and eating fresh fried fish mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm had plenty of seasons where i come home from work, burn out to the "honey" hole with a few minnows and a rod. 10 minutes later i'm wheelin back to my shoreline with a limit for dinner that night. absolutely the best! here's an example :--D

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2011, 22:26 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

I got to go to a New Year's Eve fish fry and there was catfish and fresh crappie...ummm ummm good!

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2011, 11:57 
Trapper
Trapper

I was out last week for a while caught a few crappie. Ice was 6" thick

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2011, 18:55 

Crappie and walleye are the best eating fish! Those are nice crappie you got there TrapperAL! The local ice fishing has been ok, there were a few people on the ice before new year but it warmed up a little so I don't know if the ice is still safe. Although it should be since we are getting down in the teens at night again. They were catching alot of pickerel at a lake I fish alot recently but I'd rather have crappie.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2011, 10:00 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

We've got good ice up here now and people are starting to drive on the lakes. I will be heading up to northern MN on a little excursion next week and will post pictures if I can. Should be a fun time.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2011, 07:26 

KD where you headed to? i just got back from Lake of the Woods. we were in Zippel bay for anyone who wants to see on google map. kinda slow, between 4 guys over 3 days we caught 50 or 60 saugers and walleyes....got a couple pics.

sunrise over LOW you can see a couple ice shacks. if i turned the other way, you would not even see a shoreline, the lake is ginormous.

heres the two biggest fish of the trip...a couple of 21-22 inch walleyes. they went back as they were in the slot.

that is only the 5th time i have been out on the ice in 2 years! for me that is crazy-talk...used to fish every weekend without fail...fur is better than scales :--)

Last edited by TrapperAL on 13 Jan 2011, 19:31, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2011, 10:24 

Real nice walleye TrapperAl!

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2011, 21:04 
PSYCHO SASQUATCH
PSYCHO SASQUATCH

Got my new ice auger. Jiffy propane 10 inch... gonna try it out this weekend.....

Lifetime:
Beaver- 1
Coyote- 1
Fisher-3
Raccoon- 3
Red Fox- 1
Skunk-1
Left hand in a 220

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2011, 19:30 

adk, the outfitter at Lyon's Resort (which i highly recommend, second year and we will be going through them next year as well) was telling us about his. they bought one this year and love it, but he said they have a design flaw. apparently the fuel line has a section that is not stabilized properly and will wiggle loose. there is a kit for it when and if it fails. just a heads up!

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2011, 20:47 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Nice marble eye, T Al!! About 3 1/2-4 pounds? About as big as I'd want to fillet out and pan fry. Looks like quite the ice fishing set up, t-shirt and all!!!! :)

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2011, 20:59 
PSYCHO SASQUATCH
PSYCHO SASQUATCH

TrapperAL wrote:
adk, the outfitter at Lyon's Resort (which i highly recommend, second year and we will be going through them next year as well) was telling us about his. they bought one this year and love it, but he said they have a design flaw. apparently the fuel line has a section that is not stabilized properly and will wiggle loose. there is a kit for it when and if it fails. just a heads up!

thanks for the heads up. I'll keep an eye out for issues...

Lifetime:
Beaver- 1
Coyote- 1
Fisher-3
Raccoon- 3
Red Fox- 1
Skunk-1
Left hand in a 220

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2011, 20:15 

NonPC those sleeper shacks are sweet! 4 bunks and and inside "outhouse" (theres a system lol) you can fish all night if you want to catch eel pout (poor man's lobster) or try for a big walleye. even when it's slow the bite is pretty reliably on every hour or so. when the fishing is good, the timing is the same, but the bite lasts longer and the fish are bigger and more aggressive. 3 days and nights is about 250 bucks per guy.