Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 25 Apr 2018, 15:04

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WAT will be going dark
PostPosted: 15 Apr 2018, 19:24 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

Hi guys. This is going to be a little emotional for me to write. I will be permanently pulling the plug on the WAT website and the forums as of the end of April, 2018.

I started this little venture over 20+ years ago as a labor of love. I was a WI Hunter Education instructor at the time and did some hobby trapping on the side, and I did not see much on the internet in the way of educational materials that a newbie would have ready access to. Most of the trapping related internet content consisted of a few poorly constructed websites (YouTube did not exist) and three or four bulletin boards (i.e. forums) that had some good content but were pretty cruel to anyone that asked what was deemed a "newbie question." Many of these questions were answered with ridicule or scorn. Not a good way to introduce potential newcomers to trapping and many were disillusioned by the general idiocy exhibited if they asked a "stupid question" on those sites.

So I built this site. From the very beginning the goal was to make trapping information available to the "noobs". The policy here has always been "there are no stupid questions" and we have always had a no-tolerance policy towards name-calling, fighting, and rudeness. I think we accomplished that.

Running this site, especially as a hobby, does cost money. I do have ads on the site but they don't come close to covering the costs involved. Time has also always been an issue. I own another business that has to be run full-time and all too often there are just not enough hours in the day, so WAT has unfortunately been pushed to the back burner many times. And as we get older our interests and priorities change. I, personally, am going to start enjoying my remaining time on God's great earth. I will hunt. I will fish. I will build crazy cool cars. I am still going to trap, and now I will have more time to trap; I just won't be talking about it online.

The brotherhood of trappers is one of the coolest things I have ever experienced. The friendships, the sharing, the discussions, and the good-natured ribbing I will always cherish.

Thank you-- SwampRat, Wolf, TrapperAL, Trapperrick, Doc, Trappintime, Chieftain, remrogers, Biggi. I don't have time (or the memory :roll: ) to name you all. Just know that y'all have improved the lives of everyone that has shared in your wisdom, humor and candor.

So it's time to start sharing amongst yourselves. Share phone numbers, Facebook pages, tweeter handles and Instagram names. Find ways to keep in touch with each other after WAT is gone.

Thank you all for one of the coolest adventures ever.

Peace out- KD

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2018, 20:17 
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)

Well (Please excuse my language, I'm a bonehead).
Thanks for the decade of laughs, information and the chance to meet some wonderful people.

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2018, 04:24 

:(

Well, this news started off my Monday on a sad note. Thank you so much for providing the website Keith. Without this site I wouldn't have ever met Kevan (Doc) and Ben (Ski) and have a great friendship with Larry (Swamp Rat) Barry (trappintime) Rex (Chieftain) and Rob (Wolf).

Thank you so much for the past 8 years for a wonderful time indeed.

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2018, 09:35 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Thanks KD for all the memoires and all the great guys I meet on here over the years...iam not ashamed to say that I shed a tear when I read there will be no more WAT...thanks again to all you fine folks.......

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2018, 10:03 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I have heard it said that "All good things come to an end". I have enjoyed myself every time I logged in here. Met some great people. This place will be missed.

Good luck, KD

Russ
remrogers@gmail.com

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2018, 16:53 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

WOW !! I was out of town over the weekend, and was looking forward to getting back on here.

Truly did not want to hear this.

I understand all good things must come to an end, but this is truly a sad day.

THanks Keith for creating this site, Lots of good memories, laughs, and a few sad times, but very well worth it. Met some great people here............ Swamp Rat, Trapperrick, hope to meet others before I kick the bucket.

Just don't know what to say.

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2018, 00:24 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Thanks Keith for the memories....it has been a wonderful trip with wonderful friends. What a great site to have been a part of. It was so nice to work with you for so many years. We have had some great guys and gals on this site. It is a bit sad but I for one am glad you are taking a break and heading towards you dreams.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2018, 17:35 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

Just out of curiosity Keith, if you don't mind me asking, how much does it cost to run the site ? Perhaps someone on here would be interested in taking over. I'm a computer idiot so I couldn't run it, but If someone else would take over I'd be interested in donating to the cause.

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2018, 23:11 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Its a sad day today as Rem told me about WAT's ending. There's the old saying about "all good things must come to an end" but I didn't think it would happen to WAT. I want to thank Keith and his faithful mods over time in keeping this site running and a great place to hang out. I guess my tenure here is at about 8 1/3 years so a little over 40% of its history. I have contact info for a number of folks but plan to go through my pms again and gather all that I can and let anyone else contact me because my pms are generally full up to the 50 number. Sort of like my semi pack/rat-semi-hoarder-greatly disorganized life. But its a fun ride!!!

I'm not going to post my facebook info or my work info on an open forum but Rem found me on facebook on his own so you can pm me or contact Rem for that information, although a number of my facebook friends don't seem to see what I post anymore. Silly facebook algorithms!! I'm probably easy to find through work with a little digging. I work at a fairly unique federal facility in the Sioux Falls area. You figure that out and call the place and ask the operator about getting through to the Roger who likes to hunt and trap and they'll probably get you through to me. Because most of you pay a little bit of my salary, I think its only right that you can talk to me at work. I can always find something that's relevant to my job because my charge is to understand the Nation's land and what goes on upon its surface.

Hopefully will get some more posts on WAT before the end. Until then, take care and may God bless all of you!!- Roger in South Dakota

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2018, 23:34 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Non.heres my email.bypass.road@hotmail.com ...you have been great contributor here.always like reports from South Dakota :D

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2018, 10:59 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Wow so sorry to hear this guys. Been tons of laughs and adventures over the years. Unfortunately these forums like this are closing shop by the bunches in all facets of outdoor sporting, and not just trapping based ones. Facebook and other social networks are flat outcompeting with message forums anymore and for some reason people are preferring it. Not me....I guess I'll go back to being my normal solitary hermit self. Good luck everyone, it was really great to have met and gotten to know most of you. Thanks a million Keith for the opportunity.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2018, 22:49 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Evening! I've cleared almost all of the pms out of my account so I have plenty of space if anyone wants to pm before the end of the month. Spring might actually get and stay this weekend and next week. Sort of tired of the white stuff...- Roger

Genesis 1:26