Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 03:57

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2012, 18:51 
Trapper
Trapper

Well, with the new year coming up fast, I thought of posting all of the pics from this fall that I took on the trapline!

Here we have a double (Skunk/possum) in a farmyard, while doing some mid-October ADC work.

Skunk #2 from the same farm as above.

Medium sized coon caught in a DP! (not my favorite type of trap, but it works)

Little possum in the same place as the coon above, just after our first snowfall.

My dad trying to dispatch a skunk without getting sprayed... (He got sprayed...)

This was after a nights check..Time to spend some time in the fur shed!

Me, trying to dispatch another one of our skunks... (On a very windy day, plus the fans on the bins we running...)(I was later sprayed..and my friends we not happy...)

Turkeys!!!

Drove right up to this owl.. nearly 5 yards!!

You can see the two bald eagles in this picture.. although, there is a gold in the distance.. but its very hard to see...

November 4th (day after opening water season) first catch on our first check!! 9 coon and 1 mink.

First coyote of the season!!!

Coyote #2!! (same day as the first one)

One of my remake sets.. I call it the dirt-hole-cornstalk-post-chaff-walkthrough.!

Due to state law, we had to check during a blizzard this year.. Although we nearly ended up in the ditch a few times.. we still managed to check all of the sets in the near 0 visability weather. (AND IT WAS COLD!)

3 of the 4 pepes that live in this culvert. One was already inside.. (couldnt get the camera fast enough) I love skunks so much... way to pretty..and cute..

Tough and angry badger caught on a nice sunny day! on a coyote POST!!

Some HUGE coyote scat we found! (Always looking :twisted: )

First double of the coyote season.. Although it was coons it was still a double.. And they both made Jumbo on our large boards!

Well those are all of the pics I have of 2012.. Next Ill have to be showing all of the ones from 2013! Can't wait either!!! :--D

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2012, 21:22 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

SDH, I use the same "T" rebar stabalizers on my bucket sets, but not to anchor my conis. I enjoyed all the pictures but the "blue blizzard" coyote was my favorite, followed by the badger catches. You have done a fine job on nabbing some critters.

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2012, 22:40 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

SD96- Nice pixs!! Did you make your own acetone push pole or did you buy one??

You said you trap in northern Hutchinson Co. In the Milltown, Clayrton area?? I have rural relatives from north of Menno down into Yankton Co. east of Lesterville, although I don't get down there to see them as much as I should. One of my uncles used to live in Olivet and was a trapper, although he probably pulled more coons out of old houses and buildings then he trapped. I remember one time he cornered a couple of yotes under a crawl space. The guy never put anything up but sold them whole to a country buyer. I wonder how much money he passed up over the years...

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2012, 09:26 
Trapper
Trapper

Swamp Rat wrote:
SDH, I use the same "T" rebar stabalizers on my bucket sets, but not to anchor my conis. I enjoyed all the pictures but the "blue blizzard" coyote was my favorite, followed by the badger catches. You have done a fine job on nabbing some critters.

Thanks Swamp :D

NonPCfed wrote:
Did you make your own acetone push pole or did you buy one??

We actually just bought the red one from our local Runnings store. Its just a broom pole, with a heavy duty syringe from MTP.
And yeah, I live West of Miltown, But I'm always in that area. The land around the James River bottom area is just so...not sure what word to use.. There are so many critters! TONS of trees, water from the river, a lot of cover, and the ground just about the bottoms is good to.. because most of it is used for pasture.
With this fresh snow today, I might be able to grab some more pics. And about your Uncle cornering some coyotes, we nearly cornered a fox in a barn once, while looking for coon. LEt me tell you.. He was gettin out of there when he seen us!! haha :--D :--D

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2012, 22:08 
Trapper
Trapper

Well, with the weekend, and new snowfall came more pics!!!

Fresh snowfall, and a crisp morning, along a drainage ditch!

Set for this badger last weekend, and we got him!!! (first one in a coni too!)

Coyote #4!!!

Not that great of a catch! :--o

Well, with these last pics, I think 2012 has come to close, to bring an even better 2013! and with 2013 comes even higher goals on the trap line! Just means im going to have to try harder and put more effort in to make those goals happen! Good luck to everyone on a great season, and a HAPPY NEW YEAR to all!!!! :--D

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2012, 08:45 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

I am looking forward to updates of your 2013 results .

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2012, 11:54 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Great posts. Can't wait to see more. Im turning greener by the minute ! :mrgreen:

FREEDOM~LIBERTY

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2013, 20:13 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Your 2012 season was excellent and i like those badger pics. Looking forward to the 2013 season pics.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2013, 16:36 
Trapper
Trapper

Great pictures, it looks like you had a wonderful season....good job!

Coon-1/25
Coyote-4/40
Fisher-0/1
Red Fox-/0
Muskrat-0/0
Mink-0/1
Skunk-2/5
Squrrel-1/0
Weasel-0/10

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2013, 01:16 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

SD96- Hey, didn't you send a bunch of skunks to auction at the end of the year (I don't remember if it was Fur Harvesters or NAFA). How'd you do with them?? I have 5 that I'm going to send to the NAFA spring sale and just want to have an idea what the highs might be for them (although the spring sales are usually down in price). Thanks!!

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2013, 16:08 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

The top lot of skunks went for 16 at the last NAFA sale, on further down the list a couple lots went for in the 20's. Most that sold fell in between 9-12 though, although there were alot that didn't go during the auction. I imagine those left over went private treaty though.

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2013, 23:13 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

CMjr- So, the seller has no control over these "private treaty sales" right? I mean stuff could go for less than a country buyer offers. Like LHB's weasels going for a buck or less a piece. If that was me and I knew that was going to happen, I wouldn't have sent them, unless they were all least weasels. I'd make something out of them myself before selling a critter for a couple of quarters or so. Just me...

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2013, 17:54 
Trapper
Trapper

Nice pics 8)

7/8 coon
1/2 bobcat
1/2 coyote
2/1 fox

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2014, 20:06 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

I know I'm late to comment, but because I created my account this week, I'm going to assume it's still ok to comment. Loved the pics! Sounds like you had a great season, and hope you continue to be successful!
-TrapperTanner