Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 11 Dec 2015, 21:26

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2010, 09:54 
Trapper
Trapper

When there are topic discussions about using different kinds of hardware fasteners to affix and secure to traps, chain, cable, stakes, snares, drags, drowners, etc., names of devices are mentioned - often without photos. Most of us tend to assume that other trappers already know what we are talking about when tossing out a connector term.

And, there are always those times that we need a replacement part for something that we already own, or we may want to make and rig up something without knowing what to call the parts that we need when shopping for the components to make it.

For those younger and beginning trappers who may not be familiar with their names or what they look like, here are illustrations of the more popular ones used for those purposes as a reference assembled under one cover for easy access to know and learn what they are.

These are commercial devises available from most trapping supply houses and local hardware store outlets, and the majority of the photos were taken from online trapping supply, hardware fastener dealer and manufacturer catalogs - the malority of the photos are from Minnesota Trapping Products and F&T Fur Harvester catalogs. It is by no means intended to be all inclusive, but the best examples that I could assemble for an overview of what I found available that could be used by trappers.

I puposely did not include homemade devices in the main content of this introductory post - that is a separate topic that has been covered and discussed numerous times with several examples of what they are and how made already in the Archives here and on other trapping forums.

However, I will include some to show how the homemade commercial counterparts are used in practice on traps, chains, etc. Those will be easily recognized compared to the manufactured products.

These names are as close to what I believe to be hardware industry standards for them. Individuals may refer to them differently, and they even may have different regional terminology. The list of photos is in no special order, but are grouped in categories as close as I could come up with for now.

Hopefully, as this post may progress, members will share photos as to how they apply and use these different devices on their gear, and anyway else on the trapline. This is an open invitation for those to show their respective applications to compliment this narrative.

Contributions of examples from member trappers that arrive on this thread will be included in an Appendix at the end of this draft.

There will be duplicates of some of the same connectors to view them from different perspectives to show variations in size, gauge, shape and manner of manufacturing assembly.

*** IF? *** You are wondering where to find any of these for purchase, you can find the majority of them through Minnesota Trapline Products or F&T Fur Harvesters online catalogs, or through any other reputable trapping supply dealers of choice.

Jonathan

General Introductory Assortment Of Fasteners

"J"-Hook

"S"-Hooks

Teardrop Ring

Cold Shut

Cross Chain Hook

Welded Round Ring

Welded "D" Ring

Crunch Proof Swivel & "J" Hooks - 2

Box Swivel - 2

Paws - I - Trip Components (PIT)

PIT Swivel - 2

Spro Swivel - 2

Double Stake Swivel - 2

Flat Stake Swivel

Lap Links

Split Rings - 4

Quick Snap - Spring Hook

Quick Snap - Spring Hook (With Swivel)

Quick Snap Swivels - 5

Quick Links - Different Shapes - 4

While not as commonly used as others, a few trappers use these small "U" Clevis connectors for a variety of applications.

Clevises - Assorted

Double Eye Bolt Swivel Rings

Shock Springs

Drowning Locks - 5

Snare Locks - Different Sizes

Micro Lock

Cam Lock

"Penny" Small Locks

"ADC" Washer Lock

Snare Swivels

Aircraft Cable Connectors

Double Swage Ferrules

Single Swage Stop Buttons

APPENDIX OF APPLIED EXAMPLES - Random Order

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2010, 10:18 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

thank u so much for these photos, it will really help me understand more about the hardware

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2010, 10:20 
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)

Just wondering how many you have used that didn't fail :?: . Neat information.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2010, 10:23 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Once again Johnathan, kudos for the good post. Where do you go in between visits to WAT??? 8)

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2010, 19:52 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

Another great post Jonathan! You mentioned trapping supply websites, some of these items are readily available at the local hardware store but I have found that the trapping supplers have the hardware you are looking for at a FRACTION of the cost. For instance, small quick links: $3.95 per dozen from F&T, Nearly $3 for 2 at walmart. :evil: Buyer beware!

The second amendment is in place in case the others are ignored.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2010, 20:10 
Trapper
Trapper

good job thank u for the post joanathan

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2010, 09:21 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

Once again, another GREAT post Jonathon! Thank you so much. I am copying this to the Archives.

-Keith