Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 15 Dec 2017, 18:41

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2008, 08:30 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Alright men and boy's ....I' seen on the other thread that some of us are not catching coon's the first night.I think I can help you out...This by far is one of my greatest idea's for coon's ..I should get a patent on this one...first, like the carcass set for K-9's dont set right at the carcass but set back alittle way's ..I stay back 30 to a 100 yard's at time's...after the coon's start useing it they usally have well beaten trail's going to the attractor :shock: ....for us coon hunter this is the easiest way to find a coon for your pup..just after dark take your young hound down to the site where you have the attractor and let him smell around and it won't be long he will start ...I'v been useing this method for 15 year's now..Another advantage is it draw's coon's for a long way and does it all year long..I'v went back to the spot's I'v had this stuff at and 2 and three year's after I STOPPED baiting a spot coon's would still come back and dig around looking....that's how powerful this stuff is.......all I can say is try this one it work's ..you heard it first on WAT website...........................Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Jul 2008, 15:47 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

O.K. chieftan, I can understand the licorice and vanilla, but where in the devil did you come up with the idea to use rhubarb?

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Jul 2008, 16:38 
Trapper
Trapper

ill definately give that a try

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Jul 2008, 17:57 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Your going to think I'm crazy but here go's....I was the adc trapper for the county a few year's back .they had a call from a produce stand...I went to investigate...at this stand they sold rhubarb jelly...to make the jelly they had to boil the barb ,when they were done they would dump the waste barb out back....As I removed the unwanted coon's .I noticied that the coon's would walk by all kind's of fruit's berry's watermelon's canalope's to dig through the barb pile..don't know how much they really ate or they just like the smell..but they couldn't pass the barb up...the hay bale play's a big part in this .I use a pretty good grade of hay .the more they vist the site the more they grind it to a pulp..they will dig and dig in the hay pile..I start 95% of my coonhound pup's off the hay bale's ...I don't use a cage coon because the first thing most pup's do is run up to the cage the coon growl's and lunge's and 9time's out of ten all it does is scare the crap out of your pup..if you take your young dog down to a bale site and hour or two after dark ,the coon's have been all over it and leave sent everywhere..if your pup is old enough and ready to start all you have to do is expose him to hot coon sent enough time's ..a pup worth his salt will soon be running and treeing...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Jul 2008, 18:02 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

Chieftan, fact is stranger than fiction, I believe you.

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Jul 2008, 18:04 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Doc are you saying it is strange that you believe the Chieftain or it is a strange situation with the barb bait?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Jul 2008, 18:12 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

Swamp Rat wrote:
Doc are you saying it is strange that you believe the Chieftain or it is a strange situation with the barb bait?

:lol: :lol: I would never doubt chieftan, I just can't believe ANYTHING would like rhubarb.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Jul 2008, 20:55 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

that's what I thought .. I never did think the coon's ate a lot of the barb .but would dig through it and would lick at it alot...I'm not sure what made the coon's do what they did...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Jul 2008, 00:23 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

That sure does sound like something that I'm gong to have to try out.

Coon: 5
Grinner: 4

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Jul 2008, 21:38 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

What do you mean were going to think your crazy heck we already KNOW your crazy- crazy like a coon that is :lol: gonna have to give it a try, thanks Chieftan!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jul 2008, 12:32 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I struck a coon off of one of the old bale's last night coonhunting....It had been there since last spring...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Jul 2008, 23:17 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Chief, any idea how far that stuff will draw them from? I only have permision on, well, not even half the corn feild. The rest belongs to some one else, and the only creek is across the other side of their part. I haven't seen any coon tracks or other sign on my part, yet. For now, I doubt they'll go far from the creek, since the corn is right there for them, but after it's picked, I'd like to find a way to get them across the field to where I can get them. The creek runs south along the East boarder.

All time favorite:
Skunk 1 (in a bag)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Jul 2008, 15:14 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I found this set up to pull them for quite a peice...I dont know if it's the smell on the air or that coon's track it everywhere on thier feet so the next coon who cut's thier track will follow it back to the source..if you can place your bayle where the prevailing wind would push the scent toward's the cornfield..I found once they find the bayle and start working it..they will come from a long way's to get at it...some of my old bayle site's have well worn path's to them , they get lot's of use because coon vist them year round...I will once in awhile go down and refresh the site with a bucket of the same mixture..say once or twice a year...I would be putting my bayle's out right now..by the time season get's here the coon's should of had time to start working it.....if there's creek there I would put it next to the creek but in a spot that it wouldn't get flooded out...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Jul 2008, 15:27 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Not to venture too far from the calling power of the hay bale, but I do know a little about trapping around a corn patch. When I raised corn and would have a problem with coons tearing the ears off I was told by an old man to take my hoe and see if I could locate where they may be entering and exiting the field. Once a location was found I was to hoe a path from that point to just about anywhere I so desired in the cornfield. Coons and fox love to travel those fields on the soft fresh dirt. By making these trails all I had to do was set my traps as blind trail sets and I caught many coons and fox with this simple trick. So Boom, this being said, you may be able to make a trail from your side of the cornfield out towards the middle and attract the coons with the trail and lead them towards your trapping area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Jul 2008, 15:41 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

sound's like a winner....cornfield coon's can be a challenge

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Jul 2008, 00:18 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

As far as hoeing, the creek is a good strech across the other guys field. I haven't trespast on it to see if there even are any coon, but I figure any self respecting creek running along a corn feild edge would at least have a few coon on it. There is corn on both sides of the creek, and the creek is in a tree line. Good spot for a coon. Corn=food, creek=water, and trees=shelter. As soon as the hay gets baled off the water way (just for runoff) that divines the 2 parts, I may move the trail cam, and try the bale bait. Where do you get the licorish? I've only ever seen the rope lookin candy.

All time favorite:
Skunk 1 (in a bag)

Last edited by Boomhawr on 22 Sep 2008, 00:36, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Jul 2008, 05:47 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

That would be a question for Chieftain to answer on the licorice, if not the "rope" candy you know oil of anise would probably work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Jul 2008, 07:13 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

all these methods sound good I will give it a try this year

beaver-4
muskrat-3
mink-2

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Jul 2008, 09:04 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

my pap's friend trapped a lot using duck eggs

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Jul 2008, 09:28 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Rainning here today..trying to up date my lumber prices on the computer but I keep ending up over here.....Licorice that's in the candy work's fine just add a few extra piece's... there is liquid licorice that they sell up here in grocery store's ...Swamp's idea with the sweet anise would be great....against the law up here or I'd dam sure would use it...when you make up the mixture and are boiling it , you can tell by the smell how good it's going to be..it has a very one of a kind smell about it ..you'll see why coon's come to it...I use a good bale of clover hay with the big red top's from the clover in it...coon's seem to eat the top's...the vanilla is the same way ,I buy a pretty good grade ..Boom, that place sound's like a perfect set up for a bale ..you can pull coon if you can offer them something diffrent in thier diet..I'v seen coon walk right through cornfield's without taking a bite of corn to get to a stand of mulberry tree's ..they sit there and eat till they can't eat no more...that's why in the fall those same summer time coon's that have been feeding in those cornfield's will leave them and head for the oak's with the acorn's on them...a change in the diet was all it took to pull those coon's out of the corn ....JMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Jul 2008, 10:23 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Thanks Chief, I'll look and see what I can find. I don't have any clover hay, though. Just my mixed hay for the goats. Coastal and (I think) fescue.

Swamp, Bloomy Thanks for ya'lls input, too. Don't have duck eggs, but I got chichen eggs. That would probably give an eye apeal inhansment to the set. I wander if it would also do better to use BOTH licorish and Swamps idea of oil of ainise, together :idea: .

All time favorite:
Skunk 1 (in a bag)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Jul 2008, 14:43 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Just curious Chieftain...why on earth would oil of Anise be illegal...isn't it a food flavoring???

You mentioned a good grade of Vanilla....everything else is Mexican down this way, I don't know about up your way, but if you have those Mexican food stores, go in and see if they have Mexican Vanilla with a ROOSTER on the label....best ever! Very strong and cooks well.

I will agree 100 percent with you on the coon's movements being according what they are feeding on. When I had corn patches, I would be swarmed with coons....once the corn was in the crib and the field mowed and disked up....you couldn't buy a coon around the place! Same with most animals...seeing otter on high ground makes me believe they can sense or smell water somewhere in the distance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Jul 2008, 15:33 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Anise was outlawed here way back in the 40's .I never understood it..can not under any circumstance's be use as bait..for fishing [which it is great for] or as a attractor for wildlife for trapping or hunting..I'v been checked out fishing and trapping for anise..I don't have that kind of store ..but the better the vanilla the better... .that you are talking about sound's great..I do have far east shop and they sell oyster oil..it's better than any crayfish or fish oil I ever bought through a trapping supply store..it smell's and keep's on smelling ..I had to start useing rubber glove's to put it on..has a real oily base to it and it stick's ..if you drip it in the water it create's a oil slick.and it's way cheaper..........hay bale..... a guy might take a few stick's of pure vanilla and boil in with the other stuff when your making up the mixture ..I never tried it that way. :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Sep 2008, 13:35 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

this is a good idea and am going to try it

coyotes: 23
Badger: 4
coon 127
beaver: 8
mink: 1

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Sep 2008, 14:25 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

buster, funny you should bring this post back up ....in a week or so I have two new bale's to put out in a new spot........