Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 18:59

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2008, 20:14 
Trapper
Trapper

May I take this opportunity to share my ink with you in regard to "dog proof" traps?

The only reason that I bring this up, is that I know many states have banned the #220 trap for raccoon, or for use on land in blind trail sets. Mine did that! I have 5 dozen of the them that I can no longer use, unless, as I can make out, they are submerged underwater, or in a "box" of some configuration so high off the ground. Too much regulation and fuss for my 66 year old bones and being. What next to interfere with my 58 year old trapping traditions?

The use and applicability of dog proof traps has surfaced here more than frequently in the question mark fold, with divergent opinions in recent posts - one of which I left some ink on.

In the wake of that, I thought I would introduce trappers at large, especially new ones who do not know much, or anything about them to the availability of "dog proof" traps that I found in my research to compliment the demise of the use of the #220 in my corridor.

I am most intimately familiar with Yancy's DP and the Lil' Grizz, both unequivocal sound investments from my experience.

Here they are, along with some of the other options in that category that I am not the least bit familiar with - never saw, touched, or tried to set one.

If there are others than these, kindly let me know.

Jonathan

Yancy's DP

Lil' Grizz

Egg trap

Trapmaster

Coon Cuff

Bandit Buster

Duffer's Raccoon Trap

Black Hole Adapted To #1-1/2 Coil Spring

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Jul 2008, 20:23 
CANADIAN SASQUATCH
CANADIAN SASQUATCH

I've seen people use the dog proof traps, but never used them myself. I like my plain old steel, or rubber (thanks TN :roll: ) jawed traps. Glad you posted this. I haven't seen some of these. That first one looks REALLY complicated to me. Most of these dog proof traps are overly complicated to me.

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God. -Matthew 5:9

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Jul 2008, 22:20 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

"J", I can figure most of them out, except for exhibit #1. It looks like a wood duck nest with a wooden cork????? :cry: Exactly how do you set one like that and what is with all the extention and free hanging stuff? :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Jul 2008, 22:42 
Trapper
Trapper

The item on the right is a dedicated trap setter; however they can be set using other methods. At trapper from Iowa produced this setting tutorial for the Yancy DP trap:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v332/ ... 0_1284.flv

Jonathan

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Jul 2008, 12:25 
Trapper
Trapper

Good photos and great video. Has anyone seen the new dvd/video by Mark Stech “Running hard with the grizz?” I wish there were some video stores or netflix would rent some trapping videos so we didn’t have to pay $40 to watch them. Just curious if anyone has seen it and what they thought. I was thinking of getting some grizz get'rz and figured that would be the video to watch to see how they work and what sets to make.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Jul 2008, 21:17 
Trapper
Trapper

Fielder, I know Mark, but have not seen his video.

These homemade videos by "Foxtail," a trapper friend from Minnesota, may be equally as helpful in learning how to set these traps:

Jonathan