Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 07:43

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6803 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 273  Next
PostPosted: 22 Jul 2010, 18:30 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

The roots of the "coon tree" look good for mink!

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2010, 18:44 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Swamp Rat wrote:

probably is a good spot Swamp but if you set a trap there you would catch old chiefs hound by the toes. :D

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2010, 20:19 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Swamp Rat wrote:

I bet it is Swamp...seen lots of sign today ..beaver are running ramped..lots of rat sign some otter sign..coons tracks everywhere I stopped and fished....sure was a nice day to be on the water...Jeff ,I'd would have to get the dawg out before it could get caught in a trap. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: ...bet yours are down in hunt'en shape with all them cornfield races.. 8) 8) I bet that tree is over a hundred foot tall and 8 foot thru at the butt[but ]the big end... :roll:

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2010, 21:04 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

If I had a coon in a tree like that I would have to let him go. I couldn't see the top, to get him out of there. :lol:

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2010, 23:17 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Nice fish Chief, congrats. Your catching more on rod and reel then we were with setlines, lol. I was thinking the same thing Swamp about that root wad!

Archery/Youth Deer Camp 2011- Everyone else in the group/camp-1 hen turkey, 1 coyote, 3 squirrel's, 1 groundhog, 1 single horn spike, 2 does, 1 button buck and 8 miss's. Youth gun deer season 2 adult does-2 doe fawns. Me-0-goose eggs-nada

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2010, 17:28 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

man it was a hot one today. set trusses this morning then started putting sheeting on a garage today ..going to can some green beans tomorrow..least it will be in the ac...

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2010, 21:52 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Ran errands here today. Had all 5 kids in for lunch, that was a treat. Got a wedding reception tomorrow so not much will get done.

Archery/Youth Deer Camp 2011- Everyone else in the group/camp-1 hen turkey, 1 coyote, 3 squirrel's, 1 groundhog, 1 single horn spike, 2 does, 1 button buck and 8 miss's. Youth gun deer season 2 adult does-2 doe fawns. Me-0-goose eggs-nada

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2010, 07:53 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

got the beans picked early while it was cool...now if I had them all snapped... :roll:

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2010, 09:38 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Worse thing about beans Chief. Got any kids around you can talk/trick into doing it? Hope this heat breaks before August 1st. Few hours chasing tree rats in this stuff and a guy'll be done quick. We've got the wedding reception this evening, ugh. They filled sandwich baggies with sand IN OUR LIVING ROOM last night! We have to drop off some fish on the way to the reception at a family's wake. Ive got about 60 or so lbs of fish thawing, 5lb bags of fillets in tubs of water, have to be ready by 4pm. Know a better way? Got the call about 6am and got them out. I brought them inside I was afraid in the heat theyd spoil before the insides were thawed? I prefer a day or so notice but the family and VFW didnt do that.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2010, 21:13 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

hope it was inside Back,radar shows some bad storms over your way.....

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2010, 05:04 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

got around an inch of rain last night...

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2010, 08:09 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

1-1/2" here last night Chief. Lots of lightning too, cooled down though, high today is only 85.

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2010, 08:19 
I got just a little over an inch. Wet Wet Wet

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2010, 09:54 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I seen up north they got 5 to 8 inches last night,mostly west of Chicago.

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2010, 14:02 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Looks like a dryer day today! We arent getting alot done, housework and cleaning etc. Few of the pink maters that didnt get stolen are turning red now so we're gonna pick them pretty soon. Yeah thankfully the reception was inside at the Amvets. Still got some whopper storms and rain before the night was out. Tornado north of Virginia never touched down and they had one bouncing around north of Hannibal. We were outside smoking when the first storm started to hit. We had 3 different rains move thru. Fish turned out good they said, channel, flat and a few lbs of blues fillets. It was thawed and ready to go, even had to add a little ice to the tubs before we left to drop it off. Thankfully the rain held off for the wake. We took 5 gallons of peanut oil and a bunch of breading for it too. One of our local sons was killed in Afghanistan and came home but the family was kinda short on money and the economy has the VFW on the ropes too so they called to see if we had any extra fish or anything to help out feeding the family, friends. honor and color guard etc at the wake. Several other families donated hams and the trimmings too so everyone had a good meal they said. One of our goddaughters stepdads is on the Honor Guard and he said it was good too. I was kinda worried because out of some of these free flowing waters the fish can taste odd.

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2010, 06:42 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

lots cooler here this morning ,Back....squirrels are sampling some of the nuts on the shag bark in my yard....

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2010, 13:01 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Nice day here too. Got 3 feeder calves coming to the farm so we have to go down there here in the next few days and get the electric fence back up. Hopefully the treerats will be in the hickory's earlier this year. Gets hard getting a mess when theyre feeding in the cornfields and foraging. 1 or 2 is the order of the day when they are feeding like that. Taking a bunch of kids to our local waterpark here in a few. Glutton for punishment. Hows the fruit trees doing over your way Chief? All the peach trees are done at the farm.

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2010, 17:39 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

my peaches are still 2 weeks off..i did go get a load of produce this afternoon.if I don't go fishing tomorrow ,I'll put up corn and beans..Image

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2010, 19:19 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

my plate for supper needed side boards..corn,green beans with taters.slice of yell'er mater,cucumbers with ranch dressing.pound pork chops from the hog we butchered this spring.and bread and gravey..bout time for a nap...Image

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2010, 19:36 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

:--o Geez Chieftain, that looks like an ad from a seed catalog! :lol:

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2010, 23:20 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I was thinking that too Swamp and the pictures you see of the "horn of plenty". Good Lookin supper too Chief. Homegrown maters are hard to beat. Fresh hamburgers with fresh maters, wax beans n new taters and candied garden carrots was our supper. Brought a few apples home from the farm this evening but didnt have time to fix them up with caramel. Did pick about 1 quart of tame and wild strawberries while we were there, probably the last of the year.

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2010, 04:50 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

may put the corn up this afternoon,got 4 square of shingles to put on this morning..hope to be done by noon. as hot as it is them shingles get to hot to work with..I ain't going to scar them up.

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2010, 16:33 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I dont miss roofing for summer employment. That is one job I dont wish on my worst enemy. Got 3 feeder calves, a bred cow, 30 laying hens, several odd roosters, ducks, geese and 2 feeder pigs and an old sow all settled in their new home. The cow, all the fowl cept the laying hens and the pigs were a cheap bonus. Owner came over with the stuff we were buying and had the rest at his place for a little more including delivery. Kinda nice getting back into animal husbandry/farming after several decades of pretty much hiatus. He sold off his place and about 80 acres to an outfitter but is holding onto the 35 I want(it was across the road from his home place). Best deerhunting, squirrelhunting and rooning 35 acres in Pike county(got 2 nice patch's of 'seng on it too Chief). I'll keep trying to get that deed, lol. 5 minutes from our place.

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2010, 21:31 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

sounds like a dandy spot Back, hope you get the deed.good places like that are getting hard to come by..just got done with the last of the corn..I say the last but I hate to see any of it go to waste .may put up one more batch..if I don't use it I got a coon bait recipe that calls for corn ,so I may use it that way...yea I thought at some point in my carpenter career that I would finally not have to do any roofing or drywall,guess that time ain't came yet. :roll:

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2010, 08:34 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

ain't getting around to early today..I thought for some stupid reason that last night would be a good night to take the young dog out..we had 2 good corn field races[one lasted 45 min.s the other a 1/2hour] ..treed one in a field tile and the other in a persimmon tree..young dog did a nice job last night..by time I got back to the truck it was 2:30 ...I couldn't have been any wetter if I had jumped in the river....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6803 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 273  Next