Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 08:18

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6913 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 277  Next
PostPosted: 19 Jul 2010, 14:53 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

big storms rolling through..I can see I'v lost a peach tree from my window. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2010, 22:46 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Thanks Chief, big one coming thru here in a few minutes, rumbling now. Got caught in one this afternoon by the time I hobbled 15 feet to the front door I looked like I had just stepped out of the shower. We needed the rain for the Sangamon but forecast is for rain thru Sunday anyhow now. So did you for certain lose a peach tree? That stinks if you did. Looked like our maters were flattened pretty good and had a few limbs down out of the sweet gum tree.

Archery/Youth Deer Camp 2011- Everyone else in the group/camp-1 hen turkey, 1 coyote, 3 squirrel's, 1 groundhog, 1 single horn spike, 2 does, 1 button buck and 8 miss's. Youth gun deer season 2 adult does-2 doe fawns. Me-0-goose eggs-nada

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2010, 04:11 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

still raining here ,lost one peach tree loaded with fruit, up rooted in that 70 mph wind.lost a big oak ,blew over into the power lines going back to the 100 acre woods ,aint been into the middle of it yet to see what I lost.got around 3 inches of rain.I will go back and see what kinda damage is done in the woods today...Aint looking to dry over your way this morning either ,Back

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2010, 06:52 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

I have to wonder how you guys in Illinois manage to have any trees the way the high winds come thru with the rain storms. Once the ground gets soaked down here and a high wind blows, the shallow rooted tree start hitting the ground. Sorry about the loss of your "loaded" peach tree. I hope that was the worst damage you have suffered from it. Be careful down in those wet woods while you are checking the damage there.

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2010, 08:30 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

That stinks Chief. Nevers seems like its a willow, hedge or something that gets whacked. Ive got a sweet gum out front that wont come down but sheds limbs like its dead. Comes with the territory Swamp. I think it's whatever a person gets used to. We do have more problems then some with the fault lines, tornado's, floods etc it seems. Rained here most the night Chief. Keeps it up and an ark wont be a bad idea. Looks to hit your area here in 3 or 4 hours or so? Streetlights are still on. Wind aint bad, I'd guess 20mph gusting to 30 or 35? Waiting for everyone to roll out so we can check lines. cooking biscuits n gravy, hashbrowns, sausage links n patties and eggs to stoke the boilers.

Archery/Youth Deer Camp 2011- Everyone else in the group/camp-1 hen turkey, 1 coyote, 3 squirrel's, 1 groundhog, 1 single horn spike, 2 does, 1 button buck and 8 miss's. Youth gun deer season 2 adult does-2 doe fawns. Me-0-goose eggs-nada

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2010, 08:34 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

started back to the woods...Image...heres the oak that took out the power lines......Image...nice 30 inch oak..Image..lots of fire wood...Image....

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2010, 08:38 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Back, the power co. called me ,so I didn't go on back in to the big woods yet...I want to be here when they cut the tree off the line...they said they would cut it up in 8 foot long pieces and pile it where I can get to it to cut it up....

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2010, 08:47 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Might be some saw logs in there too? Gonna be a good day to stay in the house there Chief in a few hours.

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2010, 09:00 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

it would have had a nice log but when it hit the ground it split 75% the length of it.shop wood now..thanks for the warning..It gets to raining I'll go in the shop and spool on some new line ..creek aught to raise.

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2010, 09:35 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Looks pretty rough in those pics Chieftain! Hope you get some good wood from those downed trees. No telling what awaits you in the "woods"! :?

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2010, 17:37 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

never go back to the "woods"..worked on the downed oak all day..

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2010, 21:27 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Thats too bad Chief. I had a few walnuts do that years ago in the dead of winter. Rain quit before noon here so the kids and I took my middle daughter to her egg donors. Cut across the Illinois and went down to the farm. Got alot done there. It sits in a bowl but they still got enough wind to knock alot of limbs down the last few weeks. None of the fruit trees were damaged and we got about 3/4 bushel of peach's, snapped 2 5gallon buckets of green beans, 2 pickup loads of firewood cut from the downed stuff and theres two less groundhogs in the world plus made up most of the flowers for a wedding cake MIL is baking. They are slaughtering channel on trotlines along the levees in the flooded timbers on worms. Wifes cousin has a commercial fishing license and theres a truck picking up asian carp at .10/lb whole so they are running alot of nets. Guess they are spawning or about too? They said the females they are cutting up for setline bait are full of eggs.

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2010, 04:38 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

thats 3 cents higher on the carp than they were paying the last time.heard they are going to get to 14 cents a pound..

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2010, 07:10 

wish we had oak up here i could cut for firewood....99% of what we have here are those gigantic weeds known as pople. most live 10 years and snap off in the middle. they dont even rot out to make decent hollow logs for sets!!! at least they can make tp out of it...

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2010, 07:16 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

takes about 2 years for some of this oak to season out enough to burn...just got a report from a coon hunting buddy..there was a MT. Loin ran over and killed in Jackson Co. ILL. ....young one...this is the 5th one I know of here in ILL. but the ILL. DNR says they are not here in ILL..... so they must not exist :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2010, 07:32 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

:? There you go AGAIN Chieftain with the MOUNTAIN LION IN ILLINOIS propaganda! Why do you keep trying to undermine the IL DNR? They deal in FACTS......like most all Gov't Agencies! :roll:

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2010, 09:03 

:? are you sure your not talking about the MN dnr? :P

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2010, 09:48 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Wow, at .14 a guy could make some good money with the numbers of the asians we have. Thats really neat Chief on the mountain lion. Kinda scary too, unlike bob's from what Ive heard and read mountain lions can and will eat you. Surprised the rumor isnt going around that the DNR in black trucks dropped the lions off to cull the deer population and a guys cousins brothers sisters barbers brothers aunts boyfriend seen it one night way back on some government ground, lol. It's amazing how our DNR works, deny a critter is here and when theres proof then say its an escaped pet or UFO's musta dropped it in or something. I guess its good in a way that way its not considered a game animal etc and you can kill it if need be. West of the Illinois its not uncommon in some areas for the game cameras to catch "big cats"(DNR always says theyre not mountain lions). That oak takes a long time to season but its some of the best firewood. We had a little bit of everything to cut up and stack yesterday. Alot of dead elm came down too. TrapperAl is the soil up that way poor or do they prefer to grow pople? Is it poplar or pople? I know down south theres a tree they grow for TP and paper specificaly thats not much use for anything else. The lumberjack competitions were using it alot. Its amazing to me how you can travel sometimes just a few hundred miles and everything changes. 200 mile round trip yesterday in about a 6 county loop here and we went from flat prarie farm ground to deep ravines with old growth timber the glaciers made, river bottoms and even marshland. Soil from rich black dirt to red clay to sandy loam.

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2010, 14:58 

backwoodsman wrote:
Wow, at .14 a guy could make some good money with the numbers of the asians we have. Thats really neat Chief on the mountain lion. Kinda scary too, unlike bob's from what Ive heard and read mountain lions can and will eat you. Surprised the rumor isnt going around that the DNR in black trucks dropped the lions off to cull the deer population and a guys cousins brothers sisters barbers brothers aunts boyfriend seen it one night way back on some government ground, lol. It's amazing how our DNR works, deny a critter is here and when theres proof then say its an escaped pet or UFO's musta dropped it in or something. I guess its good in a way that way its not considered a game animal etc and you can kill it if need be. West of the Illinois its not uncommon in some areas for the game cameras to catch "big cats"(DNR always says theyre not mountain lions). That oak takes a long time to season but its some of the best firewood. We had a little bit of everything to cut up and stack yesterday. Alot of dead elm came down too. TrapperAl is the soil up that way poor or do they prefer to grow pople? Is it poplar or pople? I know down south theres a tree they grow for TP and paper specificaly thats not much use for anything else. The lumberjack competitions were using it alot. Its amazing to me how you can travel sometimes just a few hundred miles and everything changes. 200 mile round trip yesterday in about a 6 county loop here and we went from flat prarie farm ground to deep ravines with old growth timber the glaciers made, river bottoms and even marshland. Soil from rich black dirt to red clay to sandy loam.

nope...believe it or not, they are protected in mn! doh!

soil is heavy with clay up here. ranges from boggy to rocky clayish dirt. lots of sandy/gravel areas. not alot of nice black dirt, though i know they will turn over some of the marshes and bogs to dry out the black dirt underneath. it was all white pine forest before it was logged and cleared for farming that, ultimately, failed.

pople, poplar, aspen, quaking aspen, widow makers, and probably alot more common names. looks alot like birch, but the bark is corky not papery and is more of a grey green color. i dont know if they originally planted it on purpose, or how it got here, but it is what seems to outgrow all other species of trees other than spruce and balsam after a clear cut. everything eats the buds and it is the largest single organism on the planet. when you look at a pople growth, you are supposedly seeing a single organism, because the propogate mainly by feeder roots.

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2010, 17:56 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

got out on the river today..got somewhere between 20 and 30 ....Image

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2010, 21:53 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Nice catch Chief. We stayed in today, cooked and did some canning. TrapperAL that soil doesnt sound like it would be too good for very much.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2010, 05:35 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

don't know if I'm going today or not ...may have to go pump out a foundation today.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2010, 11:17 

backwoodsman wrote:
Nice catch Chief. We stayed in today, cooked and did some canning. TrapperAL that soil doesnt sound like it would be too good for very much.

Back, it grows great tp...dont knock it, unless youre ready to go back to catalogs :P my mom says she remembers when sears changed its catalog from papery to the glossy :lol: :lol: :lol: its ok firewood...just have to burn more. there is some mixed hardwood around as well, but kinda tuff to find where you can cut any consistent quantities. there is also lots of black ash since they like the wet areas. that's some good wood.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2010, 12:53 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

We salvaged the lines out of the creek this am. Had to use the long trapping hook for the weights and the bankpoles were just visible. Few fiddlers and one 7lb channel were all that was on them. Everythings flooded here now. Fixed a sump pump for a buddy's mom. She called him distraught, the pump wasnt on and there was 1' of water in their basement. He's an OTR trucker. Float had a box of Christmas decorations on it, lol, theyve got shelves built right by the pump hole. Concrete floor so they'll be ok and didnt lose anything but the Christmas decorations. Im gonna draw up plans for an Ark, lol. No idea what we're doing yet for this afternoon. Someone stole the red and almost red tomatos and 12" zucchini from the backyard garden so we'll have to go to the farm to get some to can in the next few days. Tame blackberry's next week. Got green and yellow beans n new taters in the fridge for either lunch or supper. Finished off the refridgerator pickles last night and Im regretting that!

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2010, 17:55 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Your a good man Back..bet her and your buddy are happy you could fix it..I' had a good day on the river....got 31 heres a 11 pounder...Image....our beaver are corn fed...Image...heres a big cotton wood that stands on the bank of the river .treed several coon on that tree....Image....a 7 pounder..Image...seen and eagle.....Image..had agreat time today....Image

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6913 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 277  Next