Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 24 Oct 2017, 04:47

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: S.O.S Skunk Problem
PostPosted: 25 Apr 2010, 19:48 
Trapper
Trapper

A little earlier today my dogs were going crazy and I went out to find a skunk walking around our backyard about to mess with my dogs. I hurried to get the .22 and disposed of it before one of my dogs could get a new perfume :shock: . I don't have much experience in trapping but the skunk acted as if it had rabies. I want to skin but do not have the necessary supplies. The thing stinks and i was going to freeze it but i need to know if you have to wash it to get the smell off before you freeze and if not will it stink up the freezer while its in there :?:

Post subject: Re: S.O.S Skunk Problem
PostPosted: 25 Apr 2010, 20:01 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

Take a quart of hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup of baking soda and a squirt of Dawn dish soap and mix it together in a bucket and throw the skunk in. Work the solution in good and rinse it off with water and let it dry. I have done this several times and once in a while you have to do it a couple times to take care of it well enough to put in the freezer.

The second amendment is in place in case the others are ignored.

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2010, 20:29 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

dudeman,,,if you think that skunk was rabid,,you need to bag it and get it to your local game warden for testing,,do not handle it,you get a scratch and it is rabid,,you are in for some painful treatment. also,,are your dogs up to gate on thier rabies vaccine,or boosters, be careful,,it aint worth the dang hide. utah we had someone on here last year who had to the whole rabies shot thing,can't recall who

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2010, 20:37 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

utahtrapper wrote:
dudeman,,,if you think that skunk was rabid,,you need to bag it and get it to your local game warden for testing,,do not handle it,you get a scratch and it is rabid,,you are in for some painful treatment. also,,are your dogs up to gate on thier rabies vaccine,or boosters, be careful,,it aint worth the dang hide. utah we had someone on here last year who had to the whole rabies shot thing,can't recall who

Oh yeah, there is that matter too! :oops: Much better advice than my previous post!

The second amendment is in place in case the others are ignored.

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2010, 21:11 
Trapper
Trapper

I tried the peroxide thing and it worked wonders...The dogs have their shots and the skunk looked kinda of old and one of its eyes looked like it was blind so that may have been why it acted weird?
Thanks for the help on the skunk stink Mohawk

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2010, 04:03 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Dudeman I'd be real leery of it still. Up to you of course but the danger and expense of rabies isnt worth a hide to me and Im kinda fruity about not wasting anything. If you finish the hide I would use every precaution you can.

Archery/Youth Deer Camp 2011- Everyone else in the group/camp-1 hen turkey, 1 coyote, 3 squirrel's, 1 groundhog, 1 single horn spike, 2 does, 1 button buck and 8 miss's. Youth gun deer season 2 adult does-2 doe fawns. Me-0-goose eggs-nada

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2010, 22:06 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

messing with warm season skunks is like deciding whether to use the week old pound of hamburger in the refrig, is saving $4 by using it worth the couple of possible days of gut wreching food posioning?? I assume all skunks that I deal with are rabid so I like to air them out a couple of days if its cold enough and/or toss them in a gunny sack in submerge them in a stream for a day or two. The rabies virus doesn't live long outside of the animal's salvia but at a minimum on a two-day dead and cold stinker I would use heavy playtex gloves and maybe goggles and mask. On a fresh dead one, all of these would be a must, plus a shower quick after handling it. So, again, is it worth it???

I have a question for the Western and Southwestern guys when it comes to messing around with critters that have fleas that might carry plague. I'm sure you all both try to kill the fleas as fast as possible at the same time trying not to get bite by the little jumping bas****s. I'm sure there are other animal diseases that trappers have to be careful when handling critters.

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 06 May 2010, 08:25 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

soaking the hide in white gas for 24 hrs will work also and as for the rabies they have to test the brain and it has to be done within 12 hrs of dispatch i run a few up for testing every year and theytold me anything after 12 hrs is pointless to test

pepe lepue 3
greys 8
reds
coys3
Johnny sneekum hopefully
beaver 9
bobcat 7
otter 2

PostPosted: 06 May 2010, 09:11 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Looking online I found these New York State guidelines on dealing with rabies:
Follow these guidelines with all species:

Use caution when approaching the suspect animal, because many are aggressive and can bite even if paralyzed. Wear animal handling gloves and use restraining devices to minimize contact with the animal. Avoid bites, scratches, and direct skin contact. Handle dead animals with care, too, especially when your hands are near their mouths.

Restrain and isolate the suspect animal.

The animal may be choking. Beware the impulse to clear the "obstruction" from its throat! Do not put your hand in or near the animal's mouth.

If rabies testing is required, you must kill the animal without damaging its head. Brain tissue is needed for the rabies test; that's why the test can't be done on a live animal. Even with this restriction, it's still possible to humanely dispatch animals in most circumstances. For example, raccoons and skunks can be captured in cage traps. The trap can then be placed in a CO2 chamber and the animal can be euthanized. If the animal is aggressive, and you're in an area where you can legally discharge a firearm, you may prefer to restrain the animal with a catchpole and then shoot it in the heart and lung area using a low caliber rifle or pistol. That method reduces contact with the animal and may be safer for the operator.

If you can't capture the suspect animal, describe the situation to the local health department and the doctor in as much detail as possible. They'll want to know which species was involved, how the animal was behaving, whether or not the attack was provoked, and what type of first aid was administered. Immediate medical care should be sought for the exposed person or pet.

When you're done, disinfect any surfaces contaminated by the animal's fluids or tissues with a 10% bleach solution (one part chlorine bleach to nine parts water). You may want to mist spray your gloves with the bleach solution. Wear protective gear, especially if using a power washer.

Clean everything that might have been contaminated before you go to your next job.
Additional guidelines for wildlife:

Quarantine is not an option. There's no conclusive research data on safe quarantine periods. The only way to be sure whether or not the animal is rabid is to kill it and examine its brain tissue.

Capture any bat that's been found in a room with a sleeping person, an unattended child, a mentally impaired person, or an intoxicated person. That's demanded by the NYS Health Department. Why? Children and impaired people might not be aware, or be able to tell you whether they were bitten. In these cases, talk to the local health department to determine if the bat needs to be killed and tested for rabies. Don't release or discard any bat found in people's living quarters, unless the possibility of human exposure has been absolutely ruled out.

Individual bats will sometimes enter a home in the evening, especially during July or August. This doesn't mean there's a roost in that home. The bats may just have wandered in, as wild animals, especially young ones, sometimes do while exploring their territories or feeding. If you're sure that no person or pet has had contact with the bat and it appears healthy, it can be released. (Use a soft-sided container to scoop up the bat after it's landed. Plastic yogurt containers or cardboard boxes are less likely to hurt the bat than a metal coffee can).
Additional guidelines for domestic animals (cats, dogs, ferrets) and livestock:

There are vaccines to protect cats, dogs, ferrets, and livestock from rabies.

A vaccinated domestic animal that's been exposed can receive a booster to prevent it from developing rabies.

An unvaccinated pet that's been exposed can be quarantined for six months (at the owner's expense) and observed to determine whether or not it's infected. The other option is to have the animal killed to avoid the possibility of it developing rabies and exposing people or other animals later on.
Additional guidelines for exotic pets (such as monkeys, gerbils, guinea pigs, hamsters, snakes, iguanas, birds):

Only mammals get rabies. Not birds. Not reptiles (such as snakes, iguanas, and turtles) or amphibians (frogs, salamanders).

Even though they're living in a home, these are not domesticated species. They're wild species that are native to another country. Again, unfortunately, quarantine is not an option. If an exotic pet has been exposed, the health department may require that it be killed and tested.

A few species of common exotic pets, such as gerbils and guinea pigs, almost never get rabies. Prevention: rabies vaccinations

NWCOs and other people in high-risk jobs should get a rabies pre-exposure vaccine. This consists of three shots. Your doctor should test your blood every two years to determine whether you need a routine booster.

First aid and treatment after exposure

The importance of seeking immediate medical care for people and pets who have been exposed to a potentially rabid animal cannot be overemphasized. This is especially true if you can't capture the suspect animal, and have no way to determine whether or not it was infected.

If anyone has been wounded, disinfect the wound by washing it thoroughly with soap and warm water. (You can then apply Betadine, a liquid surgical soap available in many drug stores). Cover the wound with a sterile bandage, then apply direct pressure to control bleeding.

Have the animal tested for rabies. If the animal was rabid, everyone who was exposed will need treatment (this includes pets and livestock). For someone who received pre-exposure rabies vaccinations, the post-exposure treatment amounts to two shots of rabies vaccine given three days apart.

Unvaccinated people who may have been exposed to the rabies virus will be given six shots in a span of 28 days. Again, treatment must begin as soon as possible. Emphasize to your customers that the shots are now given in the arm, not the stomach. There's a good chance that your customers have heard and believed scary stories about how horrible the rabies treatment is. That's not true! Calm them down and persuade them to call their doctors right away. Call the local health department and give them the contact information for anyone's who's been exposed.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2016, 11:39 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Isn't it a great possibility that any skunk seen wandering around during the day, that it is rabied.. I saw one a few years ago that was ragged looking and during the day.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2016, 18:18 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

Jays wrote:
Isn't it a great possibility that any skunk seen wandering around during the day, that it is rabied.. I saw one a few years ago that was ragged looking and during the day.

Any normally-nocturnal animal that is out in the daytime could have rabies. Granted , they sometimes move just before dark or just after daylight, but I would be very careful with any skunks, coons, or possums out in broad daylight.
Having said that, ANY animal can have rabies and not appear sick. It is good advice to always wear gloves when skinning, although I usually don't , it is a good idea just to be safe.

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2016, 16:46 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I have witnessed innumerable skunks, possums, and coons, in daylight and hunting and going about the timber, or pastures in the skunks case. Nothing wrong with them at all, and are busy gathering food like grubs, bugs and such. Its an old wifes tale to think every animal out in daylight is sick, its simply not true. Ive trapped so many healthy coon through the day Ive lost count. Checked traps in morning...nothing, check again in early evening and have them. Like doc said though, any wild animal has the potential for sicknesses, so we should always take precautions.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2016, 13:00 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Amak wrote:
I have witnessed innumerable skunks, possums, and coons, in daylight and hunting and going about the timber, or pastures in the skunks case. Nothing wrong with them at all, and are busy gathering food like grubs, bugs and such. Its an old wifes tale to think every animal out in daylight is sick, its simply not true. Ive trapped so many healthy coon through the day Ive lost count. Checked traps in morning...nothing, check again in early evening and have them. Like doc said though, any wild animal has the potential for sicknesses, so we should always take precautions.

Amak is spot on.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2016, 17:51 
Trapper
Trapper

Rabies will only live for 24 hours after the critter is dead. Let it sit away from anything for 24 hours then skin that critter.. Always use gloves of course.