Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 15:24

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2010, 05:59 

NonPCfed wrote:
trapper Al- not to keep this hijack going any longer than needed, but was the trapper angst in MN about non-residents trapping against the reg (hey, charge those guys higher rates and let 'em trap) or was it in support of the reg (hey, right on, keep those guys out of the state)??? :?

seems alot of nr trappers think its unfair that their state offers nr licenses and mn does not. mainly that seemed to be the gripe. of course there is the occational mn trapper who says keep your mitts off my fur! lol i think most mn trappers arent that concerned about it. read our regs and decide if you would even want to trap here! especially the regs within the protected lynx zone...jeeeeeez ya need a law degree to decipher some of em.

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2010, 22:20 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I agree on that one about the complexity of your trapping regs. One day I was day dreaming about possibly trapping fisher some where when I get old and have time to run around the country and read both the MN and WI trapping regs (or at least part of them). All I know is that you have some folks working for the state that have a lot of time to think up complex rules to make people jump through. I forget that I'm spoiled in this state (South Dakota) where we have only about 1 1/2 pages of trapping regs.

Meanwhile.... I wonder if Spike has caught another doggie in his trench set???

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2010, 00:53 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

NonPCfed wrote:
I agree on that one about the complexity of your trapping regs. One day I was day dreaming about possibly trapping fisher some where when I get old and have time to run around the country and read both the MN and WI trapping regs (or at least part of them). All I know is that you have some folks working for the state that have a lot of time to think up complex rules to make people jump through. I forget that I'm spoiled in this state (South Dakota) where we have only about 1 1/2 pages of trapping regs.

Meanwhile.... I wonder if Spike has caught another doggie in his trench set???

No, But i caught this female about 15 feet away in a scent post. I don't think she had a chance to get to the trench set.

coyotes 7

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2010, 06:15 

spike there is no doubt about it.....U R A BEAST!!! lol
that's a nice lookin' dog.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2017, 11:15 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Thought i would give an update. I've been using this one since the day i made it . It's been very productive for both wolves and coyote. This is one of my main sets i use. I since moved the trap to the very top of the trench for wolves that do not want to commit to the set.

The original one i made.

Another trench i made for a wolf depredation complaint.
I'm using post image as a hosting site. We'll see if they keep or delete the images. One never knows.

coyotes 7

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2017, 08:09 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Without seeing the set not sure if thats the same trench\stepdown I use. Could very well be. I place trap at top end of trench also for yotes. Cats don't seem to mind it either. Nice wolf catches. Please tell me about this post image for hosting site. Will be much needed. Thanks :D

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2017, 10:32 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I use the set from the Hal Sullivan video. The set i make slopes back 2 feet till about 8 inches deep. Then i put the hole in the end. Post image site is easy to use. you can resize images and load time is fast. And it's free.

coyotes 7

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2017, 03:50 

I remember making a set like that and catching a few fox.

Without seeing how it originally looks I can only guess.

So let me know if this is correct Spike. Your version of the trench set starts at the top with a gradual grade down to an 8" round hole? If this is right, I've used that exact same thing as mentioned above. I've gotten away from that set for the amount of time it takes to make that set. I may re-visit it this coming season.

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2017, 07:08 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

spike wrote:
I use the set from the Hal Sullivan video. The set i make slopes back 2 feet till about 8 inches deep. Then i put the hole in the end. Post image site is easy to use. you can resize images and load time is fast. And it's free.

I use the Charlie Robbins stepdown. Same stepdown\trench that Craig Ogorman used and many others. Approx 16" from hole to start of trench. It's the only dirt hole I use. They do take more time to set up, but I predig most of them in October, saves a ton of time come the middle of November. Only down fall is they will fill with water during heavy rains, but still catch yotes with them full of water.lol I dont dig my hole at the bottom though. I dig it as close to the top and straight back as I can get it. I put lure on ground above the hole instead of in it. I think that helps keep the set working when full of water or partly full.

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2017, 10:29 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Richard Murray..... Sounds like the set you make is very simular to the one i make. I do the same. Keep the lure high on the hole.

coyotes 7

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2017, 10:57 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Richard, didn't you have a thread a couple years back that had a lot of pixs of your trench set up...? That might be good to see again!

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2017, 06:45 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

NonPCfed wrote:
Richard, didn't you have a thread a couple years back that had a lot of pixs of your trench set up...? That might be good to see again!

Yes, but not sure if pb stole the pics or not. Would have to search the archives. If I remember correctly the title was Charlie Robbin dirthole or somethin like that.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2017, 17:51 

Spike, I use the trench set per your instruction. It has really shined for me the last couple seasons. Catches wolves, yotes, cats, fox.....everything. I like to change up where I place the trap. A couple years ago, I had a wolf step right in front of the hole in the deepest part of the trench. I have been practicing with post sets so I have a reliable change up, but the trench is 99% of what I make. Richard, I have found with a tile spade and a hole pounder, I can have this set done in just a few minutes. When I drive the spade in, I just flip the sod over the deep end of the trench as a backing. I like how slick it works in a pasture, especially where a trail comes out of the tall grass into the mowed. I have the same problem as you mentioned, that it fills with water. Havent really figured a way around that yet. We have had 2 wet seasons in a row and this year is shaping up to be the same.