Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 20:25

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2010, 12:53 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

trenchset.If I did anything wrong let me know or if i can make it better. I think it may a little steep.

The pan is about 12 inches from hole

This is the finished set.
I put a wad of grass to obscure the hole

coyotes 7

Last edited by spike on 19 Apr 2010, 10:46, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: My first try at a
PostPosted: 05 Apr 2010, 13:11 
I have never used this set. How do you determine where to set the trap? I noticed that it appears to be offset.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2010, 13:22 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

redrooster wrote:
I have never used this set. How do you determine where to set the trap? I noticed that it appears to be offset.

I have only read about them and watched a video of trappers using them. The coyote/fox are suppose to walk in the trench. I put the trap about 12 inches back for coyote. They say it will catch those trap shy animals that really don't want to commit to a standard dirthole. A person could go any distance from the hole as long as its still in the trench.

coyotes 7

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2010, 17:36 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Do you use pebles or little dirt lumps to guid there foot to the trap? Looks good though, let us knoe how it works out for ya. :D

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2010, 18:23 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

The only trench sets I have made (& have had some decent luck with them) is open all the way, front to back and have a trap set at each end with bait/lure in the deepest area, which will be the center of the trench. As a rule, the long legged animals will not lean over to get the bait from above if they have an open area to travel down to get it. On page 68 or the newer edition of the S Stanley Hawbaker book, TRAPPING NORTH AMERICAN FURBEARERS there is a very good drawing of one. Here is the illustration from the Hawbaker book:

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2010, 22:03 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

i had a canine trapper show me how to make one once. not having ever made it before myslef i cant really explain it very well. his were less of a cut in the ground and more of a scraped out deppression leading to the hole. he used the extra dirt to slope up the sides a little. his were less pronounced and seemed to be very subtle but enought to naturally guide the animal where to approach and step. allthough i think yours looks dandy and will probably work just as good. i have heard these sets are good because a domestic dog wont want to step down into that trench unlike a coyote or fox.

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2010, 10:31 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Ive heard the same thing Swamp Puppy. I'd really be curious to know if its true. The step down dirthole set is supposed to play off of that one rumor/wives tale(but dogs do work the step down dirthole)? Ive used a trench type set before and some old timers swear by them(as Swamp showed). Alot of ours are more like dryland pocket sets and we had to cut the sloping bank down for the trap bed. Canines do work those sets. Spike it looks like it would work to me. Personaly I wouldnt obscure the hole too much and I would move the trap closer maybe 9" away but thats just me. I make a set and if it doesnt "feel right" I tweak it here and there till Im satisfied. Too picky at times Ive been told. On a different note then canines but still a "trench" type set we've made "underground cubbys" before using conibears and footholds. We dig a trench similar to Swamps post but we cover most of it with old plywood etc throw some dirt over it to blend it in and bait the middle. If you leave a small hole(1/2"-1") in the covering you can relure and rebait easier. Either a conibear or foothold in each end under the covering and its pretty weatherproof too. We've never caught a non-target with it but weve never used it extensively. Its a good set for someone just starting out with limited resources/buckets etc. Block one end so its like like Spikes tunnel set and you'd only need one trap per set too.

Archery/Youth Deer Camp 2011- Everyone else in the group/camp-1 hen turkey, 1 coyote, 3 squirrel's, 1 groundhog, 1 single horn spike, 2 does, 1 button buck and 8 miss's. Youth gun deer season 2 adult does-2 doe fawns. Me-0-goose eggs-nada

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2010, 11:48 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Thanks guys for the input. I will tweak as necessary.

Fuzz
I used 3 clods of sod,No bigger than a quarter.

Swamp, I'll have to try that one to.

coyotes 7

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2010, 12:23 
Trapper
Trapper

Here is how I make mine:

Dig a trench and undercut the sides a little, place your trap in with one
spring toward the hole and the other toward the end of the trench.

Build up a little mound of dirt to cover the end of the trench and the further away spring. Also build up a little mound of dirt toward the hole to cover the other spring. This leaves only the low area over the pan to step down into.

Keep the trench as narrow as you can, undercut the sides of the trench to actually hide the jaws under the sod some to keep the foot placement as focused as possible - which does the guiding for you.

I believe the original "Trench Set" was a trench about 6 or so inches deep, wide enough for a trap, and about 3 to 5 feet long with bait in the middle of the trench. Two traps were used one at each end of the trench. The target animal (usually fox) would enter the trench at one of the trench ends to get himself at the same level as the bait. Takes advantage of a predators habit of seeking the lowest point to approach from.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2010, 11:19 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

It connected :o

Another female

coyotes 7

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2010, 12:21 

nice one spike...swing by and give me another lesson, would ya?

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2010, 00:04 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Now that is a great FIRST TRY!!!!

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2010, 10:49 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

One more out the same trench with some horse hoof lure i made saturday.

female

coyotes 7

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2010, 10:58 
PROFESSIONAL (MOUSE) TRAPPER
PROFESSIONAL (MOUSE) TRAPPER

I'll have to try that set next season.

Nice looking yotes too.

2013/14
red fox 3
gray fox 2
coon 3
muskrat 25
mink 1

Hunting
130 lb 4pt buck - Mathews Z7, Grim Reaper 100 gr. at 6 yards.
17 lb tom turkey - Remington Express 20 ga #4 at 10 yards.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2010, 11:30 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Caught one in another trench saturday,at a different farm.The land owner had taken care of that one before i could get there. Could not get any pics. Released a coon saturday too. ran under the truck and would not come out.I drove around in circles until he decided he had enough. He bailed and headed for woods.

coyotes 7

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2010, 12:31 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

The Modified Trench Set is now tried and proven by our own Spike! Thanks for the reports.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2010, 13:51 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Nice! Way to go thinnin them fawn eaters! We've got a couple farms we have to work on this spring.

Archery/Youth Deer Camp 2011- Everyone else in the group/camp-1 hen turkey, 1 coyote, 3 squirrel's, 1 groundhog, 1 single horn spike, 2 does, 1 button buck and 8 miss's. Youth gun deer season 2 adult does-2 doe fawns. Me-0-goose eggs-nada

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2010, 10:09 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Female

coyotes 7

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2010, 10:22 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Looks like Y'all's fur is still holding up well.

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2010, 14:25 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Way to go Spike ! Nice Yotes you got there .

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2010, 21:44 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

Great looking yote! Congrats on the catch.

The second amendment is in place in case the others are ignored.

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2010, 18:29 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

spike- So you've gotten 3 doggies in your trench sets so far?? If you want to try messing around with a little taxidermy (can't remember if you have mentioned it before or not), an off-season yote shoulder mount with an artfical jaw set could be a way to go. Your first and last doggie looked decent enough to try. Just pop a couple of double pneumothorax with hollow points and the cape should be in good shape to mount. What part of MN are you located? I plan to post some "badger control" flyers at local hardeware stores this summer to see if I can round up any new upland trapping areas. I had toyed with the idea if a MN landowner contacted me to trap over there (the border is only about 10 miles away), but after reading your state's trapping regs, I found out they don't even sell a higher price non-ressident trapping license unless the person actually owns land in Minnesota. So much for that idea. Continued good luck on the variment thinning spring excercise :) :)

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2010, 05:43 

NonPCfed wrote:
but after reading your state's trapping regs, I found out they don't even sell a higher price non-ressident trapping license unless the person actually owns land in Minnesota. So much for that idea. Continued good luck on the variment thinning spring excercise :) :)

not to post jack, but this has been the subject of major angst among trappers on other trappin' web sites.

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2010, 19:48 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

trapper Al- not to keep this hijack going any longer than needed, but was the trapper angst in MN about non-residents trapping against the reg (hey, charge those guys higher rates and let 'em trap) or was it in support of the reg (hey, right on, keep those guys out of the state)??? :?

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2010, 00:41 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

NonPCfed wrote:
trapper Al- not to keep this hijack going any longer than needed, but was the trapper angst in MN about non-residents trapping against the reg (hey, charge those guys higher rates and let 'em trap) or was it in support of the reg (hey, right on, keep those guys out of the state)??? :?

I'm near Duluth. There are alot of trappers for NR Trapping, But I think the property owners would block it.

coyotes 7