Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 17:36

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2010, 08:56 
Trapping ends in NJ on March 15th but i packed it in a few weeks ago to start giving my bowfishing boat a makeover. Mine isnt ready to fish yet but went out in my buddies boat for a couple hours on saturday night in the Delaware River. Three of us shot about 25 carp and a couple suckers. Nothing too huge but a good number of fish, the biggest was right around the 20 pound mark. Heres a few pics i took out on the water.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2010, 17:10 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Nice pics and early fishing. Do you eat the carp and suckers?

Archery/Youth Deer Camp 2011- Everyone else in the group/camp-1 hen turkey, 1 coyote, 3 squirrel's, 1 groundhog, 1 single horn spike, 2 does, 1 button buck and 8 miss's. Youth gun deer season 2 adult does-2 doe fawns. Me-0-goose eggs-nada

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2010, 18:31 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I don´t know what you mean by Carp but I like that you are puttin a hole in those suckers , I usually call´em British pricks :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2010, 18:32 
backwoodsman wrote:
Nice pics and early fishing. Do you eat the carp and suckers?

no we dont eat them...some go for trapping bait ..but most are put out in the farmers fields and some for personal gardens.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2010, 00:09 
Trapper
Trapper

I usually take a few a year for coon bait. They also make great fertilizer for the flower bed. This year will be my first attempt at making fish oil.

Very fun "pass the time" activity.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2010, 09:03 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Out of that cold water they would be top of the line eating. We did most of our bowfishing in the summer and some of the carp, suckers etc were getting mushy.

Archery/Youth Deer Camp 2011- Everyone else in the group/camp-1 hen turkey, 1 coyote, 3 squirrel's, 1 groundhog, 1 single horn spike, 2 does, 1 button buck and 8 miss's. Youth gun deer season 2 adult does-2 doe fawns. Me-0-goose eggs-nada

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2010, 22:23 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

some fine fist action Fishstick! i always like to see a fellow Oneida shooter,

Duck-
Regular goose-

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2010, 15:15 
BigMoo3 wrote:
some fine fist action Fishstick! i always like to see a fellow Oneida shooter,

i love my oneidas for bowfishing...i hunt all traditional but love the oneidas for bowfishing. I also shoot a recurve for bowfishing but thats the beauty of it..an oneida draws like a recurve. That is my buddy and his son in the picture, they both shoot oneidas too. Oneida has fast become the bow of choice in the bowfishing world......hopefully ill have plenty more pics after this weekend if the weather holds out

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2010, 18:42 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

i grew up on them. as long as i could remember my dad always shot one and then he opened an archrey shop and sold them. i used to be able to take'em apart and put them back together agian in just a few minutes. there simple and you are correct, they do draw like a traditional bow. i still shoot a "Force" and i started with a youth model TomCat. ill tell ya they got the coolest sound. sounds like pullin a plunger off a floor.

Duck-
Regular goose-

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2010, 19:05 
Nice...that is an awesome picture too.

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2010, 21:51 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

i got him with the second shot. first one sailed through the trees only deeper into the forrest never to be seen again. i wish i could get one of them FishHawks for fish though. thats a hell of a set up. yall use the bottle rigs to right?

Duck-
Regular goose-

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2010, 22:23 
the oneida bowfishing bow is the osprey (the blue one you see in the fish bucket picture)...the bottle reels are retrievers, we do use them but i prefer the closed faced reels. when i shoot saltwater i use the retrievers with a float attached to the line for the big fish (rays and shark)..you have to follow the float and put multiple arrows in the big ones.

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2010, 22:37 
BigMoo3 wrote:
i got him with the second shot. first one sailed through the trees only deeper into the forrest never to be seen again. i wish i could get one of them FishHawks for fish though. thats a hell of a set up. yall use the bottle rigs to right?

the first picture is Oneida Osprey......the second picture shows the retriever reels (bottle type} with the floats attached for the big saltwater fish.

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2010, 15:09 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Do they still make Oneida bows? I know they were popular in the late 80's early 90's. Always wanted one then but couldnt afford it. They always looked like a slick bow. Stingrays good eating? Are you cutting the stinger off that one in the pic?

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2010, 16:22 
yes they still make them...they are called c.p. oneida now (they are priced outrageously though)....the old oneidas are a commodity in the bowfishing world..even oneidas from the 80s are selling for 300 bucks in the bowfishing communities..and they can be completely redone or even "tricked" out by 5150 bows. yes im cutting the stinger off in that picture and yes they are GREAT eating....some species are better than others. Those are Southern Rays and their wings are great eating. if any of you have been to the eastern shores of maryland or virginia and ate scallops there is a pretty good chance it was southern ray wing. they taste look and feel like scallops and are sometimes substituted.

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2010, 22:26 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Ok thats what i ment. i knew it was one or the other and i guessed wrong. Its got the big duel buterfly cams like the Stealth Eagle does. thats kinda the set up thats like the 404 rig for bowfishin. the ones im thinkin is different and its not the saltwater set up. you can get them at gander mountain i just cant think of the name right now. i wanna do the saltwater shootin like that some day. kinda like id like to get in a tourny some day too.

Duck-
Regular goose-

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2010, 22:33 
BigMoo..what part of PA are you from?

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2010, 17:57 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

the northwest. in south of erie about 30 miles i believe.

Duck-
Regular goose-

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2010, 19:37 
BigMoo3 wrote:
the northwest. in south of erie about 30 miles i believe.

ok your a good haul from here...i was gonna say come on out and do some shooting with me but thats a long haul for you.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2010, 21:56 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

yea its quite the poke. when is the tourny there by BaldEagle state park? i think thats where it is and i think you said you were gonna be there. correct me if im wrong. i have looked into that tourny before but buy in was to expensive for an at the time college student and no boat helped that decision out too. lol

Duck-
Regular goose-

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2010, 15:06 
BigMoo3 wrote:
yea its quite the poke. when is the tourny there by BaldEagle state park? i think thats where it is and i think you said you were gonna be there. correct me if im wrong. i have looked into that tourny before but buy in was to expensive for an at the time college student and no boat helped that decision out too. lol

i think its may 22nd...7pm to 7am...i have to check though im not positive

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2010, 20:28 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

id love to shoot fish for 12 hours straight lol

Duck-
Regular goose-

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2010, 21:55 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

now i know why pymatuning had to import carp!!!!

life member pta distric #1,venango co leader
life member vfw
member fta
member nta
i have trapped in nebraska,michigan,new york,alaska and pa.
us air force retired.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2010, 01:43 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

cooncrazy- me and a buddy i duck hunt with are planning a small outing at night with headlamps walkin the flats on the north side of the spillway. im sure during the spawn we can load up his decoy "canoe"

Duck-
Regular goose-

PostPosted: 11 May 2010, 17:28 
Trapper
Trapper

fishstick wrote:

:shock: see, this is why no one ever wants to go fishin with me. ida had the urge to push ya overboard for laughs. :lol: :lol: