Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 07:47

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Coon Problem
PostPosted: 21 Oct 2006, 18:04 
Trapper
Trapper

Ok here is the situation. We have some cow feed that is a bunch of ground up trash. The coons are really hitting it hard. So the rancher that I work for told me where the live trap was and wanted me to put it out. So I did just that and used some of the cow feed as bait. The only problem was that I did not see the locking device to hold the door shut was a little off and did not work properly. I found this out by finding a trap with no feed, the door sut and no coon. Now I have fixed the trap and it is working wonderfully. The only problem is that the coons wont touch it. They have found a way to pull the feed pan to the edge of the cage and dump it. I have wired the pan to to cage but I dont thing they will go in anyway. I think they will just move on to the trailer of feed. Any sugestions on bait or other traps to up out. Thanks for the help.

GH

Have a good time

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Oct 2006, 19:43 
Cover the trap with a moving blanket. Make it dark, like a cubby, so they don't quite know the wire. also, change your bait to something fruity instead. Change it up a little.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Oct 2006, 20:56 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

Gang set around the live trap with footholds. :D :lol: :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Oct 2006, 22:00 
Trapper
Trapper

just wanted to let you know that I went hunting tonight and shot one out of like 6 or 7 that i saw and left at 9:30 I am going to take a picture in the morning. Thanks for all the help. I think I might try a little jap or something sticky like that. I found out that they are reaching into the trap and pulling the food out so I have also wired the bait can to the trap. Is there anything else that anyone can think of?
Thanks,
GH

Have a good time

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Oct 2006, 11:54 
Trapper
Trapper

I thought that Lil Bit should know that I tried the pizza trick and it worked. I had a coon in the trap this mornin when I went to check and feed the cows. I think they might like Canadian Bacon. I thought it was kinda cool that it actually worked. Thanks for all the help guys.
GH

Have a good time

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Oct 2006, 12:28 
:D Toldja. And everyone thinks I'm pulling their leg... heehee. :D Only one risk to the pizza factor... you might catch me! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Oct 2006, 17:51 
Trapper
Trapper

Dont worry I would let you go as long as you didnt eat any cow feed. LOL :lol:

Have a good time

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Jan 2007, 19:19 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Marshmellows. Coons love em. Also, if the coon keep from goin in the live trap, put some straw on the floor of the trap. Coon don't like to walk on the metal part of the cage too much. For example, when a neighbor tried to catch a coon in his garage with a live trap, he just set the trap on concrete. Coon wouldn't go in. Set it in the grass a few feet away, and made sure the grass was coming up thru the bottom and caught the coon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Jan 2007, 19:30 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

buckeyesnareman wrote:
Also, if the coon keep from goin in the live trap, put some straw on the floor of the trap. Coon don't like to walk on the metal part of the cage too much. For example, when a neighbor tried to catch a coon in his garage with a live trap, he just set the trap on concrete. Coon wouldn't go in. Set it in the grass a few feet away, and made sure the grass was coming up thru the bottom and caught the coon.

Great tip. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Jan 2007, 21:36 
Trapper
Trapper

haven't caught any coon in my live traps either could be the same problem thank for the good tip

Post subject: Coon'in around
PostPosted: 13 May 2007, 21:43 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

I've done pretty good using pieces of fish and as for them reaching through the sides I just wired up some ply-wood to the sides. But it really seams like I catch them in spurts. Some weeks a bunch others none. What kinda fruity type baits are ya talking about?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Jun 2007, 18:34 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Hey I've got a new idea for bait that is tried and true. In the past few weeks I've been using fresh chicken eggs as bait. Raccoons (and skunks) love these eggs. It's so rare for them to get such large eggs that they can't resist going in for them. works every-time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Jun 2007, 00:30 
Trapper
Trapper

To keep the coon from pulling the bait out put in under the trap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Oct 2007, 19:05 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

if you can hunt them take some fruit apples pears etc through some garbage
in a pile sit back and wait tell you hear a move ment around the pile turn on your truck lights or some spot lights and see what happens

if you do this make sure of your target and i would recomend using a shotgun
with some buck shot
things happen quick and you most likely will have several fast shots at running animals

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Nov 2007, 00:35 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Red licorice. Wire it to bottom, inside of trap.

Post subject: Live trapping coon
PostPosted: 15 Nov 2007, 08:46 
Trapper
Trapper

When you use a live trap for raccoon ... don't put the bait inside the trap. Instead, dig a small hole, put the bait in it ... and set the trap down on the hole so the pan is in front of the hole ... and stake down the trap so they don't flip it over. This will force a coon to have to go into the trap and on the pan in order to see what the bait is. Also ... take some of the grain and mix it with some sardines, and a piece of bananna. Mix it well and add some molasses to it to make a paste, use this mixture for the bait. This will get them into the cage trap. And cover the trap as Lil Bit suggested.

Mbr: NTA, OFBA Director, OPHA, Coni Safety Instructor, NWCO Cert., T4K Sponsor & Admin

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Nov 2007, 13:03 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Last time I covered a trap with a blanket it took me 4 hours to separate the two. I would suggest placing the trap in some underbrush or make a lean-to with blanket so it doesnt come near the trap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Mar 2008, 21:07 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

1/4 inch mesh wire around the sides of the trap prevents the reaching -in problem. I place my bait inside the trap in an old tin soup can with the lid still on and open just enough to let the odor out. prevents mice from stealing the bait or a trapped coon or possum from eating it all. Also, if I'm using bacon grease, the rain won't wash it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Aug 2008, 09:37 
Trapper
Trapper

Try using marshmellows or vanilla and honey on some grain for bait. I have found these work great. If you don't mind releasing cats from traps, sardines work too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Dec 2008, 18:48 
Trapper
Trapper

i've had that problem and i put the bait under trap dig a whole and place the bait in it then they wont be able to tip it over!