Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 03:54

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fisher killing cats
PostPosted: 22 Oct 2007, 19:28 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Hello - First things first I have a question about how to trap a fisher and avoid catching the pets. I purchased two 220 s for this and have not set any for fear of getting a pet or a chicken in the chicken yard. I am targeting the critter that killed most of my birds. I know its a Fisher

Ideas and experience in such matters would be welcomed.

cbul

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Oct 2007, 20:19 
If you're new to trapping, I would suggest you sell your 220's and buy a cage trap. Cage traps are easier for beginners who have no trapping training, and reduce risk of harming a pet. Conibears are quick kill, and can be made to be species specific, but cages are better because they require little knowledge to operate succesfully and are easy to set, and are easy to release from if you catch a pet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Oct 2007, 20:39 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

I tried the cage thing. I only catch coons and skunks. The critter in question must be to long for my box trap or to fast. I am new to trapping with leg holds or body traps. I am also reviewing the legal implications of catching a fisher under such circumstances despite it being a nuisance. I think I'll call a Warden.

Cbul

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Oct 2007, 10:22 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

In Wisconsin you must apply for a fisher tag every year so I would suggest you do call your warden to find out if you have a plan of action for dealing with one. The wardens are not very kind to people catching fishers without a tag.

Do you know for certain that it was a fisher doing the killing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Oct 2007, 10:58 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

A foot print on the window and headless chickens all point to a fisher also my son saw it and described a fisher to me. But the foot print was the thing that convinced me 100% of a Fisher. This sort of thing is pretty common in Northern Bayfield Co. I have since secured the chicken coop to prevent unwanted visitors and stopped feeding the birds Laker and Coho fish heads. This was a leaving a pretty good scent trail I suspect. I thought I would have bear trouble before a Fisher but they keep their distance with dogs scent in the yard.

cbul

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Oct 2007, 12:48 
Still, if you think the cage trap you have isn't long enough, sell the traps you hvae and get one that's appropriate. Like KD said, regulations in your state prohibit trapping without proper permitting. I'd definately call the warden. Even if he does say go ahead and trap the thing, get yourself a 12x12x36 box trap, and call it a day. Even if you're catching skunks and raccoons, many times they cause trouble to poultry as well (in particular the skunks). Or get a trapper to come down who has a tag to remove that fisher for you. Your concern is pets, you say. Well if that's a problem, given your experience level, a larger box trap is your only option, and that's only if the state of Wisconsin lets you do it. Catching and dispatching an animal in the act are two different things, and a lot of the time, a state will tell you: Unless you SEE the animal doing it, you cannot dispatch it under guidelines of livestock harassment. Massachusetts is one of those states.

Also, most prints on points of entry are smeared, as the animal is pushing up into or down into wherever they're going. Can you be certain that it was a fisher and not a skunk? Both have 5 toes, and a smeared skunk front paw track to someone who isn't very familiar with fisher could mistake them... And just because you see a fisher doesn't mean that it's the one causing your problems. The warden and the biologists at the dnr can better determine what is preying on your livestock and suggest a course of action. Afterall, what happens if you do trap that one fisher, only it wasn't the fisher giving you the trouble? Instead you catch a roving male, and the one going nuts on your chickens is a resident female? Better to find out now what your legal options are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Oct 2007, 13:48 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

The Fisher is the culprit. My son watched him carry off a bird. The foot print is on a vertical window surface adjacent to the roost. 4 feet off the floor of the coop. This animal is very nimble and has the climbing ability's of a cat. The foot print is much larger than a skunk. I think traps located within the coop will identify the killer. I purchased the 220s after some leg hold taps just yielded a wad hair.(looked gray with some blond) These were placed inside the coop at the chicken door just inside. The coop has an interior space that I was able to close the birds behind it securely. The box trap is a large havahart .......might need a bigger one. Neighbors reported a large Fisher eating sweet stuff from a bear bait pile. His description matched the hair from the leg traps.

Cbul

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Oct 2007, 16:07 
The hair in your traps is likely raccoon, not fisher. Fisher have dark dark brown legs. The only light is on the ruff and head of males, not on their feet. A large havahart will catch a large fisher if the bait is wired down in the back and not just loose. I am very worried for what is going to happen ifyou use those 220's, and I pray for you that you are successful without causing damage to your pets or anyone else's, and remove those traps as soon as possible. Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Oct 2007, 16:34 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

Here is some good information about fisher trapping in Wisconsin-- http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/wildlife/harvest/reports/07fisherpop.pdf

Fishers are not very well liked in the northern part of the state, the general consensus (whether true or not) is that a high fisher population is the reason that the Ruffed Grouse population is so low. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Nov 2008, 12:48 
Trapper
Trapper

Well I suppose cbul has delt with this by now but I thought I would add some info for future reference. I am just starting out and got my WCO and trapping license this year , so yes I am a newbee. While taking the class from NH Fish & Game they said to put the coni in a 5 gal bucket , 5 ft off the ground. This should be on a down fall or a board that you leaned up. Place some meat in the back of the bucket as bait. They seem to think the odds of a non target animal climbing up and sticking its head in the bucket are slim. I plan on giving this a try come Dec. 01. If it works I will be glad to post a pic. NH

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Nov 2008, 15:57 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Yes I did deal with the critter in question. It was hit by a car 1/4 mile up the road. The hair was a perfect match. ....An old fisher with well worn teeth A couple of months later raccoons started to visit. Then skunks.......in a box trap near my house :? . That is a pickle for sure.

I have since built a different chicken coop and no longer dispose of Trout and salmon heads in the chicken yard.....no more troubles.

CBUl