Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 01:51

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2010, 13:26 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

A hello to all my fellow Virginia Trappers out there! I live in Orange County and have trapped fox, beaver, mink, muskrat, coon, otter, grinners and stinkers too. I got into trapping back in the late seventies when the prices were soooooo good. I trapped beaver in the pulp wood forests for several years and still do a little bit but not like I used to. I have a job that does not allow for me to do much trapping as I have to commute two hours to and from and I dont much like trapping in the dark, but you do what you have to.
Back in the seventies we did not have much coyote around where I trap, but now they are everywhere. I am going to put out a few sets this season and was wondering what has worked for some of you all in my general area. I have already bought some lure, including some Coyote gland lure as I know they are starting to breed this time of year. I have been waiting for the deer season to end so that there are not so many dogs running around. Now I am ready and will be setting some blind sets, some scent post sets and some dirt hole sets as well. I have mostly Northwoods 1.5 coil springs that are basically my fox traps, but do have a few NW 1 3/4 coil springs that I hope might be big enough to hold a coyote. They are triple swiveled and had the chains shortened up some. I am curious if some of you experienced Coyote trappers have any input? Bud-

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2010, 17:02 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Howdy, im in Rockingham county, and the only success i have had with yotes in this area is with snares...i think this is due to scent, its too hard for me to make a "clean" set with a foothold, whereas puttin up a snare take 30 sec. just my input......

Coon: 31
Yotes: 3
Bobcats:
Rats: 2
Mink: 1
Grinners: 4
Stinkers: 2

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2010, 13:07 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Thanks jeepfreek. I have never used any snares before, but have checked them out and would like to give them a try one day. They look pretty easy to set up and I would imagine they would work great on a shy animal like a coyote. I have seen some of your pictures, and they are very impressive. That one grey fox is really nice in your recent submission. Congrats! Bud-

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2010, 16:11 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

snares are your best friend....they are cheap and easy to make, which is wat i do, wat works best for me is if there are any fences on your property, set on holes or "go-unders". this is a generic set so multiple animals use the same holes, so you have a better chance of connectin? u still got a month :)

Coon: 31
Yotes: 3
Bobcats:
Rats: 2
Mink: 1
Grinners: 4
Stinkers: 2