Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 00:54

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New to trapping
PostPosted: 24 Sep 2006, 21:00 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

I have 5 old victor traps that were my great grandfathers. He died about 15 years ago, and the traps set in his old farm shed ever since. They are all 4 1/2 inch jaw spread three are double long spring and two are coil spring. I want to try to trap some raccoons this year. It looked like the cubby set would be the easiest set to make for me but I would like to know what bait/lure to use without spending any money. I was thinking about using a peice of squirrel meat or maybe a fish thrown in the the cubby. Basically I just want to know what Prep, I need to do to my old rusty traps (they still function well) and what is the easiest way to catch a raccoon, and what free baits are good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Sep 2006, 22:34 
Well, Ross. I don't know where you're from so I don't know what your laws require as far as trapping goes. I know that many states require a Trapper's Education course to get a trappers license, unless you're trapping your own property. Regardless, these courses are offered free by your state, and offer a WEALTH of information: everything from trap preparation to animals and their diseases.

Raccoons carry many diseases, some of which you can contract, so it's important that you be careful.

Depending on how rusty your traps are, there are a variety of things you may choose to do to prepare them, from soaking them in Vinegar for a little while, or boiling them in saniflush. If they're not terribly rusty but have just a thin coating of rust, you can usually choose to dye them and wax them, or select from a number of commercially produced 'quick dips', some of which you cut with white fuel, others are water based.

If you're looking for a cost economic way of doing it, you'll probably want to go to the store and buy some parafin wax, and a toilet bowl beeswax ring to cut it with. Dyes can be made of walnut hulls, sumac berries, even certain woods.

A good book, like one that the NTA offers (the NTA Trappers Handbook) would likely be invaluable to you, and it is inexpensive.

You'll want a decent narrow shovel, a hammer, a staking system (rebar or cable stakes), a sifter for the soil, lures can be as simple as some vanilla, and baits can be as simple as a marshmallow.

It is better to be armed with knowledge than with conjecture in the field. See when your state is offering their next trappers education course, and contact your state trappers organization to inquire about a mentorship program!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Sep 2006, 09:06 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

Welcome to trapping Ross. You will find that it is a lot of work, but there are more than just monetary rewards for you when you head for the woods and fields.

Here is a good article to help get you started with trap preparations-- Trap Preparation- Dyeing and Waxing

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Sep 2006, 15:01 
Trapper
Trapper

Capturing animals is only the first part of the game. Then you need a few pieces of equipment to skin, flesh, and dry the furs too.

The NTA handbook, the Ohio Trappers Handbook (available in its complete form online), and a few books from the library will aid your new outdoor activity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Sep 2006, 15:14 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

The new trapper does have a couple of options however. If there is a fur buyer in your area they may buy your fur from you "in the round", in other words-- whole and unskinned. You get paid less than if you put up the fur yourself though. You may be able to learn some things though, if they would let you watch or help while they skin the critters.

The other option would be selling to the taxidermist market.

Post subject: TRAPPING
PostPosted: 25 Sep 2006, 17:14 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Welcome Ross. As stated above there are many options for you to follow. Take your time and do things right. Ask questions. Everyone will throw in whatever info. they have for you.

yotes 28
red fox 19
grey fox 13
coon 21
rat 14
beaver 27
otter

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Sep 2006, 20:47 
Trapper
Trapper

The traps you have are #2 double longsprings and #1 1/2 coil springs. I'd assume the springs are strong enough to hold a raccoon because you don't need a lot of power to hold them.

I'd suggest you just use the traps as is and use pocket sets baited with a piece of fish. They are simple to construct and the most effective way I know to catch raccoons with foot traps.

Here's how...

I like to use this pocket set for mink and raccoons...
What I do is find a relatively straight up and down creek bank, or make it so by cutting down it with a trowel or spade. Then I dig a hole about 6" in diameter and about 12-20" deep into the bank right at water level, and at an upward angle so the back of the hole is above water level to keep my bait out of the water. Then I bait the hole with creek chubs, other fish, or 1/4 of a muskrat carcass. Then I put the trap against one side, and just outside of the hole and under about 1" of water. Mink enter along one edge and exit along the other edge of the hole most every time. I stake it down solid and I'm done.

For stakes cut yourself a stout branch 1 1/2 to 2" in diameter and wire the end of your chain to it with good strong wire.

Too often us trappers get hung up on all the tricks and such and forget they are just raccoons and pretty easy to catch.

Now after you catch a few coons this season and get them sold, buy up a few more traps and visit here to find out a few more things that will make you even more successful.

I just don't want to discorage you with thinking you have to be too scientific.

~ADC~

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Sep 2006, 08:38 
Trapper
Trapper

Ross asks what is the easiest way to catch a racoon

In my experience the easiest way to catch a coon is to set up on the smoking hottese mink sign you can find an extra large racoon is the sure result :D

ADC is right you can't beat a pocket set bait it with fish any will work mackerel is chaep and smelly. Stake securely coons are strong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Sep 2006, 12:58 
Trapper
Trapper

I know that you are looking for free, but if interested, send $8.10 (covers the shipping cost only) and I will send you more than enough bait and lure for your coon traps this fall. let me know if interested. WTA

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Oct 2006, 13:24 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

See if you can get a copy of the october 06 Fur Fish and Game there was a great article called Trapping on a shoe string all about stuff at home you can us as tools, baits and lures

If you can't find it i have been successful with corn and fruit and this keeps dogs out of set also.

Rabbitt

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Oct 2006, 17:12 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Thanks for all the tips. I will let you know how I do.