Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 22 Oct 2017, 23:31

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: About muskrat and beaver
PostPosted: 13 Dec 2009, 23:54 
Trapper
Trapper

So i live in a desert. arid. dry. waterless. and im asking how to trap beaver and muskrat! to be more specific, my new trap line ( the other being under 2 feet of snow ) has some water holes that are home to muskrat and beaver, and maybe a few darned coons. i have in my inventory only #2 bridgers, offset and 4 coiled, and Duke 1.5, 4 coiled. i was in my garage today devising a muskrat float, and i have one half heartedly put together and waiting for a test run... when the wifes not looking (bathtub). the water is moving in some areas and pools in others and is there pretty much year round, i saw tracks today while putting out traps, but was unsure how to set, or what to look for in general. i know its a tall order, and i have done alot of reading on this manner on this forum ( not to much in the water set archive forum ) and other forums. i would appreciate any information you may have for me!

-thomas

Beaver - 1 big'n
Hand - 2

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2009, 00:04 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

For the muskrats try 110 coni's in there runs and den entrances.As far as the beaver go the traps you have listed are pretty small for beaver,unless you can get a front foot catch and have it rigged on a drowner.

Beaver-
Fox-
Yote-

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2009, 00:38 
Trapper
Trapper

to close to x-mas to be buying any more trapping gear, might ahve to wait untill next year, i didnt expect to find what i found where i found it!!!! im going to try my muskrat float out, it seems like it should do the job from what i have read about muskrat floats, any good ideas for bait? i was seeing people were using apples and cob corn. do they eat fish? i was thinking some sardines or sardine bait that i made up might work well for them, but im not sure what they eat!!!

i will post pics of the float tomarrow for some constructive critasism. mind you i pinched it together with what i had on hand!!!!

-thomas

edit - the area where the water is is so brushy you would never find the runs/dens, i was lucky i had stumbled across a watering hole when i did. i just plan on putting my waders on and putting the float out in the middle of a kind of wide spot in the "road".

Beaver - 1 big'n
Hand - 2

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2009, 00:49 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Apples and a good lure would be your best bet.

Beaver-
Fox-
Yote-

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2009, 00:51 
Trapper
Trapper

apples it is then, i happen to ahve 2-3 apples that didnt get eaten, ill cut them up tonight and put them in the fridge!

-tom

Beaver - 1 big'n
Hand - 2

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2009, 09:14 
PROFESSIONAL (MOUSE) TRAPPER
PROFESSIONAL (MOUSE) TRAPPER

Yep, Apples. Just cut them into wedges and put one on the float with a finish nail and partially cover with weed and mud from the water. Place your trap so the rat will have to cross it to get to the apple. Set the trap low so a half inch of water covers it if possible.
Good luck.

2013/14
red fox 3
gray fox 2
coon 3
muskrat 25
mink 1

Hunting
130 lb 4pt buck - Mathews Z7, Grim Reaper 100 gr. at 6 yards.
17 lb tom turkey - Remington Express 20 ga #4 at 10 yards.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2009, 15:36 
Trapper
Trapper

with your 1.5 coils I would put them in the water where the rats are climbing out onto shore. You will want to drown them quick so they don't twist out because Im sure with the four coils it will break bone. This is a fast and easy blind set. You can even do this on their huts. As far as beaver if you got snares or can make them them can be deadly for beaver. Just set them in runs, slides, or at a bait pole.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2009, 17:03 
Trapper
Trapper

thanks guys. im going to do a bit more work on the float, should get it in the water thursday. im going to use some pvc pipe for a stake and some 550 cord to anchor the float to the stake. the water has a bit of current. i may also use a small cinder block for an anchor... still thinking about it...

-thomas

Beaver - 1 big'n
Hand - 2

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2009, 06:53 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

For your float I'd use wire or chain and weights or wood/metal stakes. Could cut a stake out of the brush alongside the water? The Duke's will probably be your best bet but they are fairly big for rats and coon. Rig them up as drowners for certain. The rats should be eating something around the water. There may be floating "rafts" of vegetation ie: feedbeds. Just set your trap in the middle or where it looks like the rat is climbing up on it. You may need to adjust the pan tension as rats arent the heaviest steppers. Rats are pretty much vegetarians, they do eat an occasional crawdad, mussel etc. Apples are fragrant, easy to get and probably best for a short rat line. Your footholds are barely so so for beaver. I'd try snares or wait till you can get some no.3's minimum and 280's/330's.

Archery/Youth Deer Camp 2011- Everyone else in the group/camp-1 hen turkey, 1 coyote, 3 squirrel's, 1 groundhog, 1 single horn spike, 2 does, 1 button buck and 8 miss's. Youth gun deer season 2 adult does-2 doe fawns. Me-0-goose eggs-nada