Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 10:51

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: calls?
PostPosted: 10 Dec 2009, 23:48 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

i am totally new to calling, what products would someone recomend, i am looking for ones that are blown through, not electrical, i am mainly looking to call in coyotes, but other predators would be great too, thanks, tim

Post subject: Re: calls?
PostPosted: 11 Dec 2009, 06:45 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

aurox, try making this same posting in the Camp Fire section and you'll get some responses. Not many look down this far. :lol: Swamp Rat

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2009, 09:04 
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)

aurox I'm not sure what you are looking for to call. There are many call makers out there and I have found the custom guys who care about their hobby/job do the best calls.
If you want pm me and I'll send you a couple links to check out about call's and there makers.
Barry

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2009, 20:21 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

where are you located? if your in the east a wounded cottontail will be your bread and butter if in the west a jackrabbit. at least thats my understanding. also pick up a coyote howler and just try out a few different things and see what u have success with.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2009, 19:13 
definitely the rabbit distress calls...they are the easiest to use and you cant really make a "wrong" sound with them so they are great for the beginner (and seasoned callers too)....dont get overwhelmed by the many brands out there, just get one that grabs your attention and it will probably get the animals attention too (haha). For a beginner, be patient, you will hear and read that twenty minutes is more than enough time per setup and it usually is but i would say for the beginner to take your time at each set and really get the hang of the call...try consistent calling, try pausing, try low volume, try high volume. There are no constants when it comes to predator hunting except for the fact that its EXCITING!!

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2009, 20:49 
PSYCHO SASQUATCH
PSYCHO SASQUATCH

I agree with the rabbit squeelers. When I first started, we used to just make noises by basically kissing our hands loudly. :lol: The howlers are good too if the 'yotes don't like the squeelers.

Lifetime:
Red Squirrel- 4 (in the garage)
Beaver- 1
Coyote- 1
Fisher-3
Raccoon- 3
Red Fox- 1
Skunk-1
My left index and middle finger in a 110
Left hand in a 220

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2010, 10:30 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I prefer the open reed style of calls as you can do so much with them. They are a little harder to learn but they will serve you better in the long run. I use the Randy Anderson lil dog alot, it comes with 2 mouth pieces, one to make a male/deeper sound and one with a higher female/pup type sound, you can easly make distres sounds with these calls also, so dont think you have to buy a bunch of calls. I do recommend you get a calling video such as Randy Andersons Calling all coyotes series of vids as he explains how to use the calls as well as how they set up in an area. There are other good vids out there also. One important thing to remember is to approach the calling area with the wind in your favor and quietly, and dont start your calling at full volume as you may spook any critter that may be close by, most importantly dont give in if you dont get a response at first, just keep at it as it takes practice.