Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 18:51

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2009, 12:22 
Trapper
Trapper

I have a small pen with some chickens in it and rats keep digging tunnels to get into it to eat the feed. I have caught two with open ended havaharts. Apparently they were the dumb ones of the bunch. Any body know of a good bait that will make them want to come into the traps on their way to the pen? They come in under my wood fence and the pen sits about two feet off the fence line. I do have small leg holds but have dogs that run the yard and dont want them getting bit by a trapped rat. I have plenty of bacon grease and can always spare an egg. Any thoughts?

Post subject: Rats
PostPosted: 18 Nov 2009, 12:47 
I do not have chickens, but the rats and field mice come into the barn this time of the year to eat my horse feed. I bought some mice and rat traps and baited them with peanut butter. Works well. I also have dogs and cats, and if they got into one of the traps, It would not hurt them, but would teach them a lesson. Hope this is an option for you and helps. Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Dec 2009, 10:25 
Trapper
Trapper

I would go with the rat traps. You can easily make some sort of cover to keep the dogs & birds out of the traps. You could also make a box ( to keep dog & Birds out) with rat size holes and put in some poison.

Beaver 14
Woodchucks 8
mice 10
Gray Fox( cage trap) 2

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2009, 19:20 
Trapper
Trapper

I would take a rat trap and use either a piece of cooked chicken or a marshmallow with a little of that bacon grease then sprinkle chicken feed on it. Chicken on a rat trap also works well with weasels or the smarter squirrels. You could also use a foot hold but stick it in a little wooden box with approx a 2 in diameter hold in each end just like you would to make a weasel box that would be very efficient. If you use a rat trap i would bend the trigger up just a little bit.

Coyote-2
Fisher-1
Fox-1
Mink-0
Otter-0
Raccoon-0
Weasel/Ermine-0
Bobcat-0
Beaver-0

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2009, 14:18 
PROFESSIONAL (MOUSE) TRAPPER
PROFESSIONAL (MOUSE) TRAPPER

Highjacking in progress!

Hey lish, I see you caught a skunk. How did that go? Did it spray?

2013/14
red fox 3
gray fox 2
coon 3
muskrat 25
mink 1

Hunting
130 lb 4pt buck - Mathews Z7, Grim Reaper 100 gr. at 6 yards.
17 lb tom turkey - Remington Express 20 ga #4 at 10 yards.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2010, 16:29 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Wooden snap type rat traps and a piece of raw bacon tied on the trigger may produce for you.

Archery/Youth Deer Camp 2011- Everyone else in the group/camp-1 hen turkey, 1 coyote, 3 squirrel's, 1 groundhog, 1 single horn spike, 2 does, 1 button buck and 8 miss's. Youth gun deer season 2 adult does-2 doe fawns. Me-0-goose eggs-nada

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2010, 00:17 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

hey tommy make a little box for the rats to go into use bacon grease mixed up with a bottle of visine its oderless and tasteless
works like poison to the small critters and after its don its work if the dog or cat gets the dead rat it wont harm them because its allready through their system and believe me it works got a little obnoxios one nite and my loving motherinlaw slipped a drop in my beverage i learned a very valuable trick and a very valuable leason all at once its just to bad i was the rear end of the learning curve :oops:

pepe lepue 3
greys 8
reds
coys3
Johnny sneekum hopefully
beaver 9
bobcat 7
otter 2

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2010, 22:05 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

First thing you do is make the feed unavailable to the rats by putting it in a steel drum with a tight fitting cover. Then you get a 5gal. bucket and fill it 3/4 full of water and put chicken feed on top of the water put a board ramp up to the top of the bucket and leave it. The rats will go up the board to get the feed off the top of the water fall in and drown. Problem solved. No feed to attract new rats, although they are attracted to chickens anyway and you have a device that is low maintainace to get rid of those that are there. I hope this is helpful. An other neat trick is to get a steel or plastic barrel and cut the top out of it hinge the top so that it will spin on an axis if a rat were to step out on it. Glue feed to both top and bottom of the cover, use molasses for the glue as it will attract the rats and put the walk plank so the rats can only get on top of the barrel by jumping on it again fill the barrel part way with water. Its the trap that keeps on working 24/7 no matter if 1 or 1 dozen rats get caught. Good luck! Greg

2010/2011 Catch
Beaver
Coyote
Fox
Mink
Muskrat - 8
Otter
Red Squirrel
Raccoon
Weasel

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2010, 12:40 
Trapper
Trapper

Some good ideas there hotwire. I am going to have to try that swiveling lid on the bucket set up. If nothing else just to watch the squirrels at my wife's feeder :lol: Just be real careful with 5 gal. buckets of water. Many young children drown in them every year. I only mention this because I am sure we readily realize the dangers of poison, conibears and legholds but many people overlook the common household bucket.

Beaver 14
Woodchucks 8
mice 10
Gray Fox( cage trap) 2

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2010, 14:41 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

nhcruffler wrote:
Some good ideas there hotwire. I am going to have to try that swiveling lid on the bucket set up. If nothing else just to watch the squirrels at my wife's feeder :lol: Just be real careful with 5 gal. buckets of water. Many young children drown in them every year. I only mention this because I am sure we readily realize the dangers of poison, conibears and legholds but many people overlook the common household bucket.

That is a good subject nhc. Thanks for reminding us. I see lots of 5 gal buckets with the warning on them. A few years ago we had a family in town who's toddler fell head first in one and died.