Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 18 Dec 2017, 07:59

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Squirrel recipe for boom
PostPosted: 23 Apr 2009, 20:57 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

I do squirrel 2 ways boom. First is floured and fried in bacon grease in a cast iron skillet. Hard to beat.

second is slow cooked in a crockpot for 8 hours on low with a can of cream of chicken soup and whatever spices you like . That way is hard to beat too.

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Apr 2009, 21:04 
Trapper
Trapper

Before you fry it parboil it til tinder. Makes it oh so much better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Apr 2009, 21:19 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Thanks guys. When ya do that, do ya still soak it in milk so it isn't so tough, or does this way take care of the toughness? Had some REALY tough ones before.

All time favorite:
Skunk 1 (in a bag)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Apr 2009, 22:25 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

I don't soak mine in milk. I soak in cold water ( ice water) as soon as they are cleaned, then refridgerate overnight.

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Apr 2009, 22:27 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Cool. Thanks. I already put it in the freezer. :shock:

All time favorite:
Skunk 1 (in a bag)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Apr 2009, 22:51 
Trapper
Trapper

Soak in salt water to tenderize a little.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Apr 2009, 12:36 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

The saltwater bath and the cold water bath are the two most common marinades with squirrels that I hear most often. I am sure there are many others and maybe they too will get posted.

Parboiling is highly recommended for fox squirrels and old "cat" gray squirrels.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Apr 2009, 12:48 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Found some on the internet that showed beer baths. :lol: I've done that on other foods before. Does good. Even if you're like me and don't like beer, it's still good for cookin. I like MGD.

All time favorite:
Skunk 1 (in a bag)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 May 2009, 19:25 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Boom if you have a pressure cooker they'll tenderize tree rats too. mom reminded me of that.

Archery/Youth Deer Camp 2011- Everyone else in the group/camp-1 hen turkey, 1 coyote, 3 squirrel's, 1 groundhog, 1 single horn spike, 2 does, 1 button buck and 8 miss's. Youth gun deer season 2 adult does-2 doe fawns. Me-0-goose eggs-nada

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 May 2009, 10:48 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

i use to soak mine in salt water, know i soak it in buttermilk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 May 2009, 13:24 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Salt water takes alot of the blood/fluids out. Cook it slow and it should stay tender. Now Im hungry!

Archery/Youth Deer Camp 2011- Everyone else in the group/camp-1 hen turkey, 1 coyote, 3 squirrel's, 1 groundhog, 1 single horn spike, 2 does, 1 button buck and 8 miss's. Youth gun deer season 2 adult does-2 doe fawns. Me-0-goose eggs-nada

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Aug 2009, 19:00 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

boomhawr...Drink the beer!...Boil the tree rats.....Then cook them any way you like to eat chicken;Fried,with dumplings,with rice,grilled,smoked,in gumbo,in soup,squirell kabobs,bar-b-q, or just plain boiled with salt and pepper.Squirell is like beaver,it's hard to mess it up
[as long as you boil it first].I know you have eaten beaver!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Aug 2009, 19:27 
Trapper
Trapper

if you fry it, save the grease and make some squirrel gravy. you'll think you died and gone to heaven.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Aug 2009, 11:02 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Fryin squirrel, taters and baking biscuits and makin gravy at work tonight! Gonna clog a few arteries! lol

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2009, 08:03 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

jase wrote:
Here is how my momma always made my squirrels, and I still do em this way.

Cut them up into frying pieces. Then brown them fairly quick on both sides, after dredging them in white flour and salt and pepper. Dont worry about getting them done, they will get done later. Once all the pieces are browned good, pour out all but about 1/8 in. of the oil, and put skillet back on. turn the heat down to low, and place all pieces back into the skillet. (use a large one from the begining!) In a measuring cup, add 1/4 cup of apple cider vinager, and 3/4 cup of water. Carefully pour the mixture over the browned meat in the skillet, then cover it with a lid. Simmer at least 30 min. or longer until the meat just startes to fall off of the bone when pulled on. Vinager (apple cider) is an awsome tenderizer when used in steam cooking. The meat will have a slight vinigar flavor which compliments the squirrels meat quite nice. This is not a crispy fried outcome, but instead more like a smothered fried end result! Try it and you will always come back to it! (Providing you somewhat like vinigar, but my wife doesn't and she still loves this squirrel!)

The recipe sounded very familiar except for the apple cider vinegar. That is a good idea. Will try it later.

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2010, 11:26 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Thanks Jase. I printed it off to try later.

1 of the guys at work has never had squirrel, so he told me the other day that him and 1 of the other guys are tryin to get the squirrels from his yard, then he's going to bring them to me to cook for him. :lol:

All time favorite:
Skunk 1 (in a bag)

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2010, 14:49 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Buddy got bored and went to cookin on the grill the other night. He brought me a plate of squirrel that was outstanding. He cut the fryin pieces up and refroze the ribs for squirrel n dumplings. He marinated for 2 hours the frying pieces in Lawrys steak n chop marinade that we use on most steak etc. Wrapped each piece with bacon covering all open parts so no squirrel meat showed thru and held it with tooth picks. He then grilled it on medium heat(preheated grill) and said when the bacon was done(20min+/-) the squirrel was(?). This stuff was awesome. I love pan fried squirrel, taters, gravy n biscuits but this stuff will have to grace our table on occasion. Go careful and check the squirrel every 5 miutes or so as different grills and gas vs. charcoal will change the cooking times. p.s. we ate some of the bacon later on bacon and tomato sandwich's and it had a good flavor too from the marinade and grill I presume?