Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 15 Dec 2017, 18:46

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2006, 08:10 
Trapper
Trapper

and watched 27 antlerless and 2 bucks come out to browse. a 1.5 year old 7 point and a 3.5 year old 9 point. He just wasn't quite big enough to pin my only buck tag on. Neighbors ( major landowners in the area) are great people, but just have no concept of herd management. They have not harvested an antlerless deer in over 15 years off their property. But if it has a 3" spike on one side, it will be in the back of the truck before you could say bang. So just before hours were up, and there weren't any shooters in the field, I arrowed 3 does, about 1.5-2 minutes apart, all layed in the field less than 50 apart. Sounds hard to believe, but there are so many deer, and with the Mathews so quiet, they don't know what is happening. The arrowed deer runs about 40-50 yards out and tips over, the other deer run a ways away, then cautiously work there way back to check out the other deer laying there, but my tree is conveniently located between them. So I have been cutting deer in my free time. Might thin a few out come thursday night again :D . We'll see how sore the back is from cutting up venison.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2006, 09:51 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

Congratulations on the does! :D I have not been out yet this year but I have my four doe tags all ready to go. Hopefully I'll get the Big Boy this year too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2006, 10:02 
Trapper
Trapper

Four tags! If I didn't love this state I'd have to move just so I could take more deer. Lucky,lucky,lucky...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2006, 10:05 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

MEtrapper wrote:
Four tags! If I didn't love this state I'd have to move just so I could take more deer. Lucky,lucky,lucky...

That's what it is this year. I also have one archery buck tag and one gun buck tag. Wisconsin's deer herd is way too high and they are trying to get the population down a bit, hence all the doe tags. Extra doe tags are also available over-the-counter for I think $12.00.

I don't mind it a bit. I love the venison. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Sep 2006, 10:25 
Trapper
Trapper

thanks KD,

yep $12 each just got 3 more! :D

It makes it easier for me when I shoot a few does, doesn't make me want to shoot those borderline 3 year old bucks quite so bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Sep 2006, 08:21 
Trapper
Trapper

Maine has only a few expanded archery zones in the southern half of the state that you can buy multiple doe tags and one buck tag. The best the rest of us gunners can do is one normal tag (be it anterless or not) and a bonus permit for an anterless. Only about 10 percent get a bonus permit...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Sep 2006, 09:23 
It will be interesting to see where the doe season boundry is in Greenbrier County this year....