Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 14:40

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: sweet corn
PostPosted: 11 Jul 2009, 21:19 
Trapper
Trapper

I have feeling that in a few days im gona be getting some calls about coons in the neighbors sweetcorn patches. Problem is i dont have my control license :evil: :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Jul 2009, 20:38 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

AAAH, heck with that license! When they complain tell them you can get them when season opens, that way the fur is prime and you can sell them once you catch them. If season comes around and they "forget" how mad they were in July and don't let you trap then; then they will remember how mad they were in July come next July! :twisted:

The second amendment is in place in case the others are ignored.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Jul 2009, 23:20 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

you could probably catch the coons in a live trap and relocate them to an area where they wont do any m ore damage the sweet corn will probably be down by trapping season ,so if you can catch them to get them out of the corn they might let you return during the season to keep them away and under control TS

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Jul 2009, 23:52 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Countryboy, I don't know about the license being needed for coons in the corn patch...never had to have one here. An easy method of catching coons and other varmints in a sweetcorn patch is to find areas where you know they come in and out of the patch, take a wide blade hoe and make trails from the entry points out into the field and cross the furrows with the trail and then set your traps in key points along this trail----I assure you that the coons will follow this fresh pathway as will many other varmints that visit the field. The trail doesn't have to go anywhere, just out into the corn for a good ways. I would catch summer coons and put them in a very large cage I had for that purpose and release them in the fall in an area I would be trapping during the winter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Jul 2009, 10:33 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Country if you call the DNR you can probably get a permit or a go ahead. It will probably be illegal to relocate the coons though. Up to you on that, I hate waste though so i know what I'd do, wait till fall or...! Most around here wouldnt want to compensate you for your time and trouble either. Its amazing to me how little most people know about fur/fur trapping.

Archery/Youth Deer Camp 2011- Everyone else in the group/camp-1 hen turkey, 1 coyote, 3 squirrel's, 1 groundhog, 1 single horn spike, 2 does, 1 button buck and 8 miss's. Youth gun deer season 2 adult does-2 doe fawns. Me-0-goose eggs-nada

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Jul 2009, 11:04 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

That's a good point about relocateing them , but you can still take them to another spot on the same property or one that's by it , too. To relocate an animal doesn't mean you got to move it miles away , just have to take them to a more ideal forage area. Yeah that also depends on the size of the property and they might return but it still could be an easy fix til the corns down TS

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Jul 2009, 17:54 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

That may be possible? I dont know if relocating within a mile or less would help fix the problem or not though? Worth a shot, better then having to destroy them. I believe in Illinois though they legally have to be destroyed. Unless they were sick I believe I'd encourage them to relocate via a long truck ride, but thats me. Im different then most though I hate to see roadkill even. I still stop and move turtles off the road. I dont kill spiders and snakes either, wife laughs at me all the time for catching spiders and putting them outside. Of course Im one of those evil bloodthirsty trappers PETA talks about,lol.

Archery/Youth Deer Camp 2011- Everyone else in the group/camp-1 hen turkey, 1 coyote, 3 squirrel's, 1 groundhog, 1 single horn spike, 2 does, 1 button buck and 8 miss's. Youth gun deer season 2 adult does-2 doe fawns. Me-0-goose eggs-nada

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Jul 2009, 20:02 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

:lol: :lol: :lol: I'm with ya on the roadkill thing! I hate to see a roadkilled bloat out on the road luring buzzards, I would much rather see it in my trap where it will be appreciated and used.

The second amendment is in place in case the others are ignored.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Jul 2009, 22:08 
Trapper
Trapper

havnt been on here for a couple a days, been to busy workn. I cant get my nusience license until im 18 :evil: I havnt had any calls on the sweet corn problem..........yet. I did have a guy with coons in his cattle feed. Asked me to use a couple of my cages. Caught a smaller coon the first night next to the feed barrel. set another in the hay mow and reset the one in the feed room. Let me put it this way i didnt kill it and ill have one more coon in the woods to trap this fall :wink: :wink: hopefully il have more in the morning. The coon (relieved herself) on the barn floor when i picked up the cage. Will i catch another coon in that same area or will i have to set in a different part of the barn :?: :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Jul 2009, 22:26 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

A little excited coon stink'um shouldn't deter you from catching others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Jul 2009, 22:11 
Trapper
Trapper

Went out ther the other morning and had a medium and a smaller coon in the same trap :D :D let them go on my trapping ground to get bigger and better fur for the fall. The farmers hired hand went into the barn around dusk to find coons scrambling everywhere :shock: :shock:.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Jul 2009, 22:16 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Sounds like you got you work cut out for ya and a nice fur stock for the fall!! TS

40 rats
7 coon
2 feral cats

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Jul 2009, 12:22 
Trapper
Trapper

Yea the 30+ acres of timber next to the farm is ownd by the farmers uncle who is a tree hugger :evil: :evil: so the coons will keep coming from the timber until i trap them all....out of the barn. At least il have some more coons on my ground to trap come fall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Jul 2009, 18:07 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

A tree hugger , you mean conservationist ? What qualifies one to get the title " treehugger"? I have hugged a tree or two( usually when my treestand needs repositioning). I also trap beavers that eat my trees!! Does that make one a treehugger?LOL. TS ( treehugger Steve)rofl!!! :lol: :D :twisted: :P :wink:

40 rats
7 coon
2 feral cats

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Jul 2009, 21:09 
Trapper
Trapper

Im sorry i offended you TS...remind me never to do that again. I usually attach my deerstands correctly the first time :wink: :wink: ..saves me alot of time when im hunting :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Jul 2009, 22:15 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

countryboy, hope you saw the humor in that post!! :lol:( or maybe the new meds the doc put me on twists my judgement a little) but I am a sucker for that smooth bark superhardwood tree that in the perfect spot and the morning you decide to try it , it decides to rain hard enough to turn that tree into a greased flagpole ! LOL TS

40 rats
7 coon
2 feral cats

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Jul 2009, 22:47 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

:lol: :lol: :lol: :shock: You are getting meds from DOC!?!?!!?! :shock: You should get them from Trappintime or Fuzz, the Canadian drugs are cheaper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Jul 2009, 11:43 
Trapper
Trapper

:lol: :lol: