Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 21:12

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 12 May 2009, 11:09 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

My next door neighbors and good friends have had resident raccoons living in the crawl space between their porch ceiling and balcony floor for two summers now. The coons have entered through a large crevice under their porch steps and climbed the hollow columns supporting the porch to get to their "den."

While it's not fun to have raccoons living in your house, what makes matters worse is that their den was right beneath my friends' bedroom, such that my friends were awoken invariably throughout the spring/summer months for two years now.

A week ago, I had set a 220 conibear on the side of the porch steps and screwed a piece of square plywood above the trap, to divert the coons into the trap. I used stacked bricks to narrow the opening where the coons could enter and exit the house.

During the day, for the safety of my friends' young kids who play in the garden, I snapped the trap. I reset every evening anew. For an entire week, nothing was caught, even though my friend claimed he heard the raccoons in the house in the mornings.

This morning, when leaving my house to work, I stopped by to snap the conibear, but noticed it was complete gone. So I followed the wire securing the trap behind the shrub a few feet away and there was a huge raccoon....from nose to tail, it must have been 2 feet long...I would estimate its weight around 10-15 pounds. Its mouth was agape, showing sharp teeth.

There were muddy pawprints up on the porch and scat as well as pawprints up on the ledge of the porch. I reconstruct the incident like this: the other raccoons exiting the house probably ran up onto the porch out of fear. They climbed the ledge of the porch and jumped about 4 feet down to the ground, landing on some soil (which shows deep impressions that I can only think are raccoon footprints).

I will upload pictures later, but my question for you all is this: will the other raccoons return to reside here, or were they sufficiently scared off? I don't know if they abandon when one member of the clan is killed. Will it depend on whether this was the mother?

Thanks for your response!

/shawn

Last edited by cashburton on 12 May 2009, 21:17, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 May 2009, 11:26 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Sounds like you read the signs pretty well on the additonal coons, but they will be back. Maybe if you'd make a couple of "bucket sets" and place them in the area nearby it would increase your chances of more than one catch per night.

Post subject: Bucket Sets
PostPosted: 12 May 2009, 15:14 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

Thansk, Swamp Rat, for your input.

I've never created a bucket set before. Is this similar to a cubby for weasels/marten/fisher? What do I use for food/lure in the bucket? Will a How do I secure the bucket to the ground, and where do I place it?
Will the bucket set be attractive to domesticated cats or dogs?

Finally, will a 120 take out a coon or do I need 220?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 May 2009, 16:48 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

http://www.wild-about-trapping.com/foru ... ucket+sets

See if this old post will open and if so, read the comments and look at some of the photos. There are a lot of fellows who use the bucket sets and like using them around where there may be pets.

Post subject: Pictures
PostPosted: 12 May 2009, 20:14 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 May 2009, 05:29 
PROFESSIONAL (MOUSE) TRAPPER

Nice job on catching the first one. It ain't as easy as some think. You mentioned pets, if you are at all concerned about pets in the area, I would NOT use body grip traps. Buy, borrow, or rent a live trap to catch the rest. If you catch a cat or dog you can release it, if you catch another coon you can decide wether to dispatch it or release it somewhere far away. Check with you local biologist on that because for instance here in maine they would rather coons be dealt with lethally to eliminate the chance of spreading rabies to other communities.

Good luck.

2013/14
red fox 3
gray fox 2
coon 3
muskrat 25
mink 1

Hunting
130 lb 4pt buck - Mathews Z7, Grim Reaper 100 gr. at 6 yards.
17 lb tom turkey - Remington Express 20 ga #4 at 10 yards.

Post subject: Thanks for your input!
PostPosted: 13 May 2009, 13:03 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

I would prefer to take the raccoons lethally rather than relocating them, as this will do nothing to diminish disease, overpopulation and nuisance.

The trap is actually in a very hidden spot, behind shrubs. Of course stray cats could get in there, but I doubt they would be drawn to an area that has raccoon musk, droppings and urine.

I may set the trap again tonight and see what happens. I'll let you know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 May 2009, 18:35 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Cash, eBay had a few different listings the other day on dp traps at a good price. Don't know if their still there but they were cheap. TS

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jun 2009, 13:15 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Nelson wrote:
Nice job on catching the first one. It ain't as easy as some think. You mentioned pets, if you are at all concerned about pets in the area, I would NOT use body grip traps. Buy, borrow, or rent a live trap to catch the rest. If you catch a cat or dog you can release it, if you catch another coon you can decide wether to dispatch it or release it somewhere far away. Check with you local biologist on that because for instance here in maine they would rather coons be dealt with lethally to eliminate the chance of spreading rabies to other communities.

Good luck.

In minn, you need permission form the landowner to relocate animals to private property. Not sure about county or state land. You need to call the dnr.

coyotes 7

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jun 2009, 15:30 

Spike, this post is a month old. :lol:

2013/14
red fox 3
gray fox 2
coon 3
muskrat 25
mink 1

Hunting
130 lb 4pt buck - Mathews Z7, Grim Reaper 100 gr. at 6 yards.
17 lb tom turkey - Remington Express 20 ga #4 at 10 yards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Jun 2009, 00:48 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

ya i know ,i'm about that far behind.

coyotes 7