Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 18 Dec 2017, 00:03

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dirt hole trap?
PostPosted: 18 May 2009, 09:07 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Please help new girl. New to this forum and have fox slaughtering my exotic chickens and ducks. Have live trap and did not catch him. Not sure how to set leg traps. Looking for info on dirt hole traps. In one day the fox got 5 of my chickens making 12 in total so far. I live in the woods so it has lot of place to hide and I think it has babies close as it steals 1 bird at a time and soon comes back for another. This has been happening in middle of the day. Lost some at night but majority was in day. Came face to face with it but did not have gun with me. Hope this is right place to post as I really need advice as soon as possible before the fox totally wipes me out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 May 2009, 11:11 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Welcome aboard. Sorry to hear about the hens. Fox are 1 of the hardest you're gonna try to trap. Sounds like ya might need to find an experianced trapper in your area to take care of this one, cause it doesn't sound like you have much time for trial and error. Also, season is over in many areas, so it MAY be illiegel for you to trap it anyway. Call your area Game warden or parks and wildlife department, or what ever your state calls it, or see if you can find a A.D.C. (Animal Damage Controle) trapper in your area. As far as sets for you to try yourself, there are LOTS of them if ya go threw the old post and the archieves on this site. I don't have enough fox around here, so I don't target the few that we do have. But, in your case, I'd still suggest getting help from someone with experiance in your area this time, then you can work on learning and be ready for next time. Good luck.

All time favorite:
Skunk 1 (in a bag)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 May 2009, 16:15 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

Welcome to the best trappin site on the web! That being said, I don't know. :roll: :oops: I have never trapped fox. If I was in your shoes though I would set several dirthole sets, then some snares, then some bucket sets. Red fox typically don't like bucket sets, I hear, but Redrooster caught 1 last fall in a bucket set so it isn't out of the question. If it is a grey fox then it is my understanding that they have no problem hitting a bucket set. I am with Boom though, if you know someone who traps fox successfully get that person over there and get a lesson. You don't have time to clean your traps and go through the learning curve before your chickens and ducks get wiped out at the rate he is going. If you are going to go it alone, use a 1 1/2 coil spring foothold trap, make a dirt hole set where you dig a hole at about a 22 degree angle deep enough where the fox can't see the bait and use a clump of grass/sod for backing. Then put a little fox pee on the backing. I would guess that this is more important than the bait in the hole as he already has your poultry for food so you need to play off of the territorial instincts. That being said, I guess you could just use a urine post set, geez, like I said, not a fox trapper YET. Be sure your trap is bedded solidly so it doesn't move and staked so it can't be run away with. Make several sets, there may be pappa hanging around with mamma. GOOD LUCK, and let us know how it goes.

The second amendment is in place in case the others are ignored.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 May 2009, 16:24 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Chickens@, since you are new on this site, go to the search engine at the top of the page....just under Wild About Trapping and once opened, do a search on fox trapping and then read some of the prior discussions about this topic. I think you will find a lot of good info. Do other searches as you find other topics of interest. There is very little that hasn't been discussed in the past. Good Luck.