Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 16 Dec 2017, 10:06

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2006, 13:59 
Trapper
Trapper

Do the dogs you raise being shepard type working dogs have dominant traits where they like to be the boss. My dads dog is terrible that way shes a lab rotweiller mix really sweet but she is really bad for trying to be the boss.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Sep 2006, 14:16 
Herding breeds and guardians were bred for one purpose: To serve man. Too many irresponsible breeders have produced dogs that confuse 'serving man' with 'being served by man'. A good herding dog or guardian understands who it's master is, and does not think under any circumstances that it is anything other than a dog. This behavior is encouraged at an early age through socialization and training. Dogs who have an aggression streak, or an 'alpha' personality as some call it, do not understand that there is a difference between you and the dog, and is constantly pushing to see where the authority lies.

My dogs don't. If a recessive temperment issue arrises, the dog is immediately altered, and placed in a pet home that can deal with it. It is removed from the breeding pool, as it should be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Sep 2006, 14:37 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

Lil Bit-- What kinds of dogs do you raise? For show or for profit? Or both?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Sep 2006, 14:43 
Primary breed: Briard

I co own different breeds.

We breed for the purpose of type and temperment. Our dogs go into a variety of homes for the purpose of agility, obedience, pet, conformation show, herding, tracking and versatility titles.

After dropping about 3 thousand dollars per breeding on tests, unless I get 9 puppies in a litter, I don't make profit. That's not why I do it. I do it because I'm DoG CrAzY!!!! And I love the breed. It means more to me to go to our annual Briard walk on the Cape Cod Canal (which I'm missing this year. :cry: ) and see beautiful, well balanced, well-tempered dogs greeting joggers, children, and other dogs than having a bank account full of cash. That's probably why it nearly breaks my budget to do the shows we go to in Canada, and the nationals this coming weekend Which I will be missing, but am footing the gas bill for the RV.