Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 03:42

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2009, 12:53 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Just about the only way ive had any success is to dig a hole, bait/lure the bottom and put the DP trap into the hole above it. I use a drag99% of the time to save on having to totaly redig the hole and fix the set up. Is anyone else having trouble with these things? If your doing good with them how do you make your sets? Ive got a new property to trap this next fall but they dont want any traps on land. I talked them into cage's and DP's. Theyve got a few dogs and cats that have the run of the place,ugh. Not alot of water so I'll have to figure out some kind of dry land trapping that wont catch the pets. Cage traps and DP's are my only options I believe? Ive been planning on building some cage traps so that'll be a for certain summer project now. Fox's and coyotes are gonna be safe until next winter when I have time to do some predator callin. Any advice or ideas would be appreciated..

Archery/Youth Deer Camp 2011- Everyone else in the group/camp-1 hen turkey, 1 coyote, 3 squirrel's, 1 groundhog, 1 single horn spike, 2 does, 1 button buck and 8 miss's. Youth gun deer season 2 adult does-2 doe fawns. Me-0-goose eggs-nada

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Apr 2009, 17:39 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Here's some info on them.

http://www.wild-about-trapping.com/foru ... dit+buster

All time favorite:
Skunk 1 (in a bag)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Apr 2009, 20:35 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

these are trapmasters.i also use dp's.(no pics of them in action thou).
i like peanuttbutter in them for bait around farms, cats don't bother with them. blackies shellfish bait works good away from pets.

life member pta distric #1,venango co leader
life member vfw
member fta
member nta
i have trapped in nebraska,michigan,new york,alaska and pa.
us air force retired.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Apr 2009, 21:15 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

those coon cuffs work awesome, you can just pour syrup in it and i cought a few that way, but that peanutbutter works better it seems to last longer. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If a man delivers his own message it will have such power as his own charcter gives to it. C.H.S

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Apr 2009, 22:45 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

I usually just use corn, I am lucky enough to take a grinner or two with them along the way! :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Apr 2009, 08:18 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Thanks boom, appreciate it. Boy that is lucky swamp,lol. Thanks Coon, Lance and Swamp too. Im kinda new to the DP/incapsilating trap thingy's. Progress? Got to love city people moving to the country. Coyotes are gonna love the free ranging cats. Tried to explain that to them but didnt get far. Least its a place to trap! Hate to see any animal suffer but Ive got a feeling after they loose/find a few cats when the yotes are done by 2010 they'll be happy to have me thin the 'yotes with some legholds. Still got roughly 6 months before this season. Maybe they'll see the light? Without loosing cats...Thanks all again

Archery/Youth Deer Camp 2011- Everyone else in the group/camp-1 hen turkey, 1 coyote, 3 squirrel's, 1 groundhog, 1 single horn spike, 2 does, 1 button buck and 8 miss's. Youth gun deer season 2 adult does-2 doe fawns. Me-0-goose eggs-nada

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Apr 2009, 08:52 
Trapper
Trapper

I have a shop cat ,she always jumps up on the bench when I eat and checks out the food. She shows no interest in sweets. But If theres any fats involuved she wants It. For example Jam NO.... peanut butter YES.... So around cats, no fats. Thats what I do In those places.
With a new season just 7 mos. away heres some pics to keep the fever going.
Some coon in grizz on trails last fall....

Happy Easter......Jim Blakley

Last edited by J blakley on 12 Apr 2009, 13:18, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Apr 2009, 09:07 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Looks like a Doublemint ad. Great photos and some good info to boot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Apr 2009, 09:12 
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)

Well that totally blew my myth about them being strictly a woodland creature. Great pics and thanks. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Apr 2009, 09:46 
Trapper
Trapper

"Double mint" That brings up a queston ..... Catnip Is a mint ..Do other mints attract house cats ????

Woodlands = coon .........Coon seem to be just as thick on MN. prairies as our hardwood forests.

Jim Blakley

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Apr 2009, 10:32 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

J blakley wrote:
"Double mint" That brings up a queston ..... Catnip Is a mint ..Do other mints attract house cats ????

Woodlands = coon .........Coon seem to be just as thick on MN. prairies as our hardwood forests.

Jim Blakley

Not sure, but I went by the pet store before season opened and bought a bottle of catnip pump spray to use in my live traps....I saw no results from the use of it. I have yet to take a bobcat in a live trap! :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Apr 2009, 10:43 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I wondered how that went. I remember you e-mauling me a pic of the bottle when ya first got it.

All time favorite:
Skunk 1 (in a bag)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Apr 2009, 10:54 

Swamp Rat wrote:
Not sure, but I went by the pet store before season opened and bought a bottle of catnip pump spray to use in my live traps....I saw no results from the use of it. I have yet to take a bobcat in a live trap! :x

Well maybe if you wouldn't catch them all in the legholds :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Apr 2009, 12:30 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

trappintime wrote:
Swamp Rat wrote:

Well maybe if you wouldn't catch them all in the legholds :roll:

Maybe I am a better "accidental" trapper than I am an "on purpose" trapper! :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Apr 2009, 17:12 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Ive used mint scented lures before but never thought about that with the dp style's. May try a few cubbies and pockets with it with no.11's, bet a cat wouldnt even look at that setup? I went out there and layed a few pieces of aluminum foil around in their yard and the cats and dogs never even looked at it. Walked on by, so maybe I'll be able to get away with a few tinfish sets too if the owners agree? Got to love city dudes! I just got permission/was asked to trap out 2 ponds on another hobby farm. Here's the kicker, owner doesnt hunt, fish, anything, but wants the 'rats gone(with good reason) but doesnt want me to trap anything else or set any other sets. 'Rats only. Its 15 miles each way so Im gonna wait till this fall. Found the damage during our January doe gun season(he lets us hunt for does only, he has fruit trees they girdle,guess bucks wont rub'em?LOL).Took him 3 months to decide.