Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 19:06

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GANG SETTING
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2006, 00:01 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

When I put in any set for fox/coyote/coon, I almost always place 2 if not 3 more sets within 20 feet. How close do some of you place your other sets?

yotes 28
red fox 19
grey fox 13
coon 21
rat 14
beaver 27
otter

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2006, 08:52 
Similarly. I'll set at the hole, and then on the same stake I'll have a longer chain with a stinger trap maybe 2 feet away. For coyote sets, I'll also go about 20 feet out and make another similar set with a trap, and a stinger trap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2006, 08:56 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

"Stinger trap". I like that term. Like a stinger hook on a fishing lure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2006, 09:00 
Precisely. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2006, 14:52 
Trapper
Trapper

Maybe I'm strange, but I rarely make two sets within 25 yards of each other.

Are you folks just doubling the chances or do you actually see an increase in catches for your extra work (double catches even...)? If it works, maybe I'll try it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Sep 2006, 17:56 
Well, here's my theory on it. If you trap canines, they have what I like to call 'varying degrees of trust.' The picture below shows a gang set at a typical dirthole set with a tuft of grass as backing.

As a canine, be it coyote or fox, gets closer to a set of interest, they will circle, following the lines set out.

Now, this can be done two ways. You can stake both traps to the same stake (which can be a pain if the ground is frozen because you have to bury the chain and is only adviseable with coons, not canines), or, each trap is staked seperately (preferable with canines as they like to pump). In this picture, they're seperately staked, but I've drawn lines to show the degree of difference between the two traps. Note they are not on the same line, but that there's practically a 90 degree difference.

Anyway, if a coyote trips the trap closest to the hole first, others will come to investigate the smell and what happened to wiley. They know something's up and will often get caught in the stinger trap as they circle the set in their degree of trust. If a coyote gets caught in the stinger trap, that leaves the set still there for investigation, and a lot of the time you'll catch another.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Sep 2006, 12:52 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

Nice diagram Lil Bit. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Sep 2006, 15:30 
Trapper
Trapper

Heres what I like to do I will make a medium sized dirt pattern in front of the dirthole and I place one trap up close and slightly right on its own stake. Then I place another trap slightly farther back and left on another stake. This has worked very well for me on coons they are almost always caught by two feet and are just sitting there in a crappy mood when I check the trap.

I also like to make another set within visual distance (animals) because I often find early in season coons are running together and foxes also somewhat. Also animals are very attracted to the commotion a trapped critter makes this is very evident if you ever trap in snowy conditions.

Thirdly in a trail or funnel situation I'll make as many sets as I feel it warrants to have a decent shot at catching all the animals coming thru in one night I have put as many as four traps in one trail nothing is worse then finding muddy footprints over the back of the coon in your trap and knowing you'd have had two if you set two traps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Sep 2006, 16:27 
Well, I'd be in a foul mood myself if I got both my hands caught in a trap....

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Sep 2006, 17:11 
Trapper
Trapper

Well I can see it now walk up to the set and theres Lil Bit both hands firm pad catch with the 1.75s. Couldn't get out cause the bum leg won't bend to depress the lever. Now whats goning on here BBQ chicken pizza mwaaaaa my one weakness. After about 30 minutes of rolling on ground laughing and taking pictures for trapping forums What would be a safe way to go about releasing this nontarget catch. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Sep 2006, 19:09 
Careful, I bite :twisted: . Good thing is, I'm vaccinated. Mwahahahahaha.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Sep 2006, 22:42 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

Mudtracker-- make sure you post those pictures here. :twisted: As for me... you'd probably catch me on film eating that BBQ chicken bait. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Sep 2006, 13:21 
Trapper
Trapper

Mudtracker jumps back yikes did you see that she pretended to be all friendly and then tried to take my leg off. :D smiley face note the smiley face :lol: John needs to bring her more chocalate :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Oct 2006, 10:50 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

I like too gang set..I usually make two or three sets 10 yds. away from each other with differnt lures in each set..Just a tip that works..goodluck