Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 06:52

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: neighbors cat food thief
PostPosted: 17 Jul 2008, 16:54 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

The neighbor called in need of a little help, seems thier cat food was dissappering out of the feeder dish and the storeage bucket was knocked off the shelf, went down to investiget and found a little coon turd presant left on the work bench so I broke out the live traps baited them up with marshmellows. It looks like this little guy had a sweet tooth!

I told my son we had to go get the coon out of the trap and he took off into his room, a few minutes later he came back with his coon getter :D sure makes a guy proud when at 3 years old he's ready to get after them!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Jul 2008, 17:06 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Great Pic.'s...That's one dandy look'en boy...thank's for sharing..

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Jul 2008, 17:41 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Thanks Chief, he sure has made my life a heck of alot more enjoyable!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Jul 2008, 18:16 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Congrats on the boy (and the coon, too). At 3 is when my daughter started turtle blasting with me, all decked out in camo.

All time favorite:
Skunk 1 (in a bag)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Jul 2008, 18:34 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Were did you get that trap :?: it appear's to be the same make as the one I pattern to make mine...I got mine at Autumn Oak's [coonhound event] 5 year's ago...I took the back wire out of mine and extened it another foot ..I make's it a whole lot better trap..I had some coon's reach across and get the bait without firing the trap..they now have to walk across the trigger to get to the bait..

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Jul 2008, 20:56 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

:D What a fine looking "Partner" you have there IT2! Looks like you are getting plenty of actions around your neighborhood lately. A friend of mine is using two of my "monster" live traps over at his place. The coons were so bad that they not only were coming into his carport looking for dog food, they had actually turned the barrel over and got it out of the carport! I haven't had a recent report, but I know he is having success.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Jul 2008, 21:29 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Chief the trap came from a friend of mine who had gotten it from his late father in law, I believe he said the traps were purchased from a guy at a NTA convention several years ago, could be they were from the same person yours are made by. I agree they should be a little longer as I have found the same problem with the stolen bait! Boom the enthusiam of the youngun's is just awsome, I can't wait till trappen season gets here so I can take him along. It's funny you mention the coons knocking over the barrel swamp,a couple years ago I was camping at a lake club I'm a member at and we had turned in for the nite, about an hour after we had turned in there was a loud metalic crash not far from my tent :shock: as you can guess I poked my head out to see what was going on, well there this giant coon crawling out of a 30 gallon trash barrel the had had one of those domed metal lids with a swinging door on it that was now laying on the ground. the only thing I could figure is that that coon had pushed that barrel over as there was nothing close it could have climbed up on to get on top the barrel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Jul 2008, 09:36 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I'll have some pic.'s soon ..I'v been taking some coon out of aguy's sweet corn patch ..$20.00 head to remove them..caught a bigg'en last night 19 pound's..well big for around these part's ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jul 2008, 08:49 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

caught another last night 15 pound sow coon..another $20.00.................hey :idea: :idea: if I can catch these same coon's this winter and get $20.00 for his hide these could be some $40.00 coon's :wink:I'v been turning them loose in my 100 acer wood's...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jul 2008, 09:17 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Aha! Just the very reason "bounties" don't work! Pay a man for a coyotes ears and you'll be catching earless coyotes, for a paw and you catch the handicapped or the tail and you'll be seeing bobtailed yotes on the trapline! But I do not disagree with the trapping in one area and restocking another....I did that for years with coons in my corn patch. Catch them in the summer at my patch, turn them loose in the fall in my trapping lease. Seems I had quite a few "repeat customers". :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jul 2008, 22:23 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

tURN THEM LOOSE IN THE FALL? oR RECATCH THEM IN THE FALL?

All time favorite:
Skunk 1 (in a bag)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Jul 2008, 06:19 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

got another coon this morning ..ain't seen it yet ...the guy with the corn just called and said he would bring it by so I don't have to go get this one...I'v caught only mature adult coon's so far from this spot ..I figure there should be a bunch of little's one's there too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Jul 2008, 07:52 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Yea Boom, turn them loose in the "fall" and catch them in the "winter". Sort of like the financial world---SubPrime and Prime. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Jul 2008, 17:53 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Then you're catchin them in the summer, turning them loose in the fall. then recatchin them in the winter! So, where you keepin them between summer catch and fall release?

All time favorite:
Skunk 1 (in a bag)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Jul 2008, 18:23 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Back "in the day" I had some very large cages and had as many as 14 grown coons in it at one time. They even bred and had two litters while I had them. One cage was 14'X7'X5'. Hurricane wire on all sides, with a partition door in the middle to be able to divide the cage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Jul 2008, 18:36 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I had alot of coon's but never did have any give birth in capivity..I used old wooden nail keg's I would get from the rail road...my grand dad was a 36 year man...I'm sure you'v seen a few nail keg's Swamp :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Jul 2008, 19:05 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Yeah, I had my supply of wooden spike kegs. All the cages had them for "nests". A somewhat funny story about the wooden kegs was when I first hired out for the railroad we were leaving town for one of our 16 hour days and the conductor told me to jump off and get me a spike keg to sit on since there was no seat for me. I hopped off when I saw a keg and ran over planning to grab it up and catch back on the moving locomotive.....NOT.....it was still full of spikes. I did learn from that if the lid was still in place it was probably full. :lol:

Another time when I was a brakeman the engineer told me he'd hit a buck deer and the caboose would be coming by it at the switch. We were leaving the mainline and heading into a siding at a low rate of speed. I saw the buck with a horn sticking up and held to the grab iron, leaned down and caught the antler....not a wise thing to do.....two things I was glad of.....one I was in much better shape then and we have SMALL BUCKS! I felt like the original STRETCH ARMSTRONG! :shock: Whew--I finally managed to drag the deer up to the rear platform of the caboose only to see it had a huge hole in in side underneath. It made quite a mess on the caboose platform, I dropped the deer back off for the coyotes and buzzards and took some ashes out of the pot bellied stove and covered the mess on the platform Helpful hint----don't grab stationary objects from a mobile vehicle----too much PULL! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Jul 2008, 07:20 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Word's to live by... :wink: :lol: :lol: caught another coon last night in the live trap...4 night's 4 coon's no wonder this guy was worried about his corn.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Jul 2008, 14:45 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

4 night' 4 coon's and a release pic.....Image.........Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Jul 2008, 05:57 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

well I got done with the corfield coon's... caught 5 coon's in 5 night's and released them.... caught 5 cat's in 7 night's at this guy's neighbor's house...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Jul 2008, 20:45 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

And then there were 2.

The neighbors said they had seen 2 coons come out of the cat door, looks like the coons can't stay away of the marshmellows :D . The funy thing is I couldn't get the coons to go into the traps if they were on the floor, so I put one trap ontop of the cat kennel and that did the trick as you can see.

Thanks for the pics Chieftan, looks like you cleaned up good, coons can really tear the sweet corn up!! I got a guy that wants me to get the ground hogs out of his barn, I'll keep you posted !

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Jul 2008, 20:56 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

that's what I caught all mine on was marshmellow's with grape jelly.them boy seem pretty interested in that ringtail. :wink: 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Jul 2008, 09:38 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Yeah the boys like them coons! This one was a little more feisty than the last one it would hiss and come up to the cage like it wanted a finger :D I re set the trap as the cat food was gone again and the water bowl was muddy, I also put up one of my trail cams to see if I could get the catch on film.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Jul 2008, 10:52 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Looks like we are going to have to label Illinois as the Political and Cage Trapping capital of the USA! :wink: You fellows are doing a jam up job on the bandits. Chieftain....I would have appreciated it if you'd made some sort of statement about the cage trap being very small and thus it made your coons look very large! :x :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Jul 2008, 12:07 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

WARNING.....Object's in the cage maybe smaller than they appear.. :wink: I thought we were done but when I got home for lunch there was my cage with a coon in it...The home owner set it last night....now he's talking about going out on the line with me a couple of time's this winter just to see how this trapping thing work's...I'll have him trapping his own coon's before next year.... :wink: