Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 19 Apr 2018, 08:36

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2017, 18:48 
Trapper
Trapper

Hey guys, recently we got enough ice on our lakes and marshes to walk on, so I've started doing some rat trapping. I decided to use the Hagz Brackets I just got, if you aren't familiar they are a trap stabilization product and are designed to be used pretty much anywhere. The main use for them is putting a fiberglass pole through one of the holes, stick your trap on the bracket which is set right below the water, and then wire some bait to the pole above that. On open water that set appears to be fairly effective, so I decided to try it under the ice. I'm basically doing the same set up, except I'm putting my bait right below the ice, and my trap about 3-4" below the bait. Well I have been getting fooled by these rats now for 4 days. Every time I check traps, all my bait is missing (3 baby carrots per set, or a chunk of cob corn) and the traps are either sprung with no critter, or still in the bracket and not fired. What am I doing wrong here? Is this not a good under ice set? Should I try setting the trap and bait closer to the bottom? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2017, 20:17 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I have to wonder what your doing wrong. first off never heard of this trap stabilizer your using but did some checking. Checks out. Next is what type of trap are you using, leg hold or conibear. you never stated? And next are you trapping by muskrat houses or bank dens. This all plays into how you set. Information and the more of it people can help.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2017, 06:26 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Why not wire the carrot to the trigger on a 110 coni. I know of a guy doing this with great success. I'm not a rat trapper, but sounds purty solid. I'm just a dumb ole yote trapper lol. :roll:

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2017, 10:00 
Trapper
Trapper

Sorry I forgot to say what traps I'm using, I am using a 6-6 split right now to see what works better with the brackets, half of them are 11/2 LS and the other half are victor stoploss. I'm setting them in runs, or near the entrances of the rat huts. I caught several rats this year with this same set up, but in open water when I was testing them out and was very impressed with them. Here's a link to the bracket

https://shop.j3o.com/products/hagz-bracket

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2017, 09:22 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

What is happening is the rats are easily swimming between the bait and the trap. They don't have to come to an upright resting position to get the bait.
I use to aim for rear feet when I should have been aiming for the front. They can swim right up to the bait and grap hold the bait with teeth, then with front feet braced against your stake will pull the bait loose without ever letting the rear feet drop more then an inch or 2.
I like inclined boards, with foothold trap up as close to the bait as possible, and bait right at the underside of ice. Aim for front feet.
I'd much rather use bubble trails in the ice for run blind sets. Body grips and where legal, Colony traps are very hard to beat.