Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 16 Dec 2017, 15:27

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Today in history.
PostPosted: 07 Jul 2017, 09:22 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Warren Earp, the youngest of the famous clan of gun fighting brothers, is murdered in an Arizona saloon.

Nicholas and Virginia Earp raised a family of five sons and four daughters on a series of farms in Illinois and Iowa. Three of the Earps’ sons grew up to win lasting infamy. On October 26, 1881, Wyatt, Virgil, and Morgan Earp fought a brief shoot-out with the Clantons and McLaurys in Tombstone, Arizona. The Earp brothers, along with their friend Doc Holliday, managed to kill all three of their opponents. The gun battle—which was named after a nearby livery stable called the O.K. Corral—later became a favorite topic of sensationalistic dime novel writers and moviemakers. Ever since, Wyatt, Virgil, and Morgan have been icons of the Old West.

The youngest Earp brother, however, did not share in the fame of his older brothers. Warren Earp was probably in Tombstone on the day of the famous gunfight, but for reasons that remain unclear, Warren did not join in the gunfight (the eldest Earp brother, James, did not participate either). Warren, however, was involved in the bloody series of revenge killings that followed the shoot-out.

Within six months of the first gunfight, Morgan Earp was assassinated and Virgil Earp was badly wounded. Wyatt presumed the Clantons and McLaurys were behind the attacks. Determined to strike back, Wyatt turned for help to his little brother, Warren. Together with Doc Holliday, the two brothers took their vengeance, killing two men suspected of having been behind Morgan’s murderer. In danger now of being arrested for murder, the three men fled to Colorado.

After he parted ways with Wyatt in Colorado, the record of Warren’s life becomes obscure. He apparently traveled around the West for several years before finally returning to Arizona. On this day in 1900, Warren reportedly had too much to drink at the Headquarters Saloon in Willcox, Arizona. He began to abuse some of the customers, and a man named John Boyett killed him in a gunfight. Later, Boyett was tried for murder and found innocent on the grounds that he had acted in self-defense.

Post subject: Re: Today in history.
PostPosted: 07 Jul 2017, 17:09 

Also on this day in history.....

Led Zeppelin played their final concert in Berlin, Germany in 1980. Drummer John Bonham would die from an overdose of alcohol two and a half months later while preparing for a concert tour of the United States.

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2017, 18:23 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

trapperrick wrote:
Also on this day in history.....

Led Zeppelin played their final concert in Berlin, Germany in 1980. Drummer John Bonham would die from an overdose of alcohol two and a half months later while preparing for a concert tour of the United States.
.....a sad day for sure...

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2017, 21:30 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

I've drank a lot in my life , and wish I hadn't, but I can't imagine drinking enough to kill myself, although some mornings after I thought I might die. :shock:

If you've never been to Tombstone Arizona, put it on your bucket list. I would move there tomorrow if I hit the lottery. The place is awesome. 8)

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.