Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 19:38

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NAFA fur results
PostPosted: 10 Apr 2017, 17:35 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

Anyone know what stuff is selling for and how much of it is being sold at the nafa auctions? Is it worth sending any fur up there at all? I mostly have beavers, beaver castors and muskrats is it worth sending it up?

Post subject: Re: NAFA fur results
PostPosted: 11 Apr 2017, 17:03 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Wow, sort of a loaded question this far into the 2016/2017 season. NAFA's big sale is coming up in less than a month in May and I suspect it would be almost impossible to get your stuff into that sale. They plan to have a summer auction but that might be picking through leftovers and not have much buyer interest. Fur Harvesters is having their 3rd sale of the season a week after NAFA's May sale. Probably can't get your stuff in that one either unless your in the local area and can go talk to either the NAFA or FHA people in person.

Are you skins fleshed and dried already? Muskrats haven't had the major test yet at auction from what I gather although guys have been selling to country buyers and through state trapping association sales for a number of months now and many are satisfied with the prices. One of the big beaver trappers here on WAT, wolf, can tell you about his beaver selling results so far with FHA. I can't remember if he sold castor there or not. I'm not a beaver guy but a lot of people say its better to sell castor away from the auctions because you lose weight between shipping to them and when they have the sales.

Good luck in moving or storing your stuff!

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2017, 09:04 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

well all mine muskrats are fleshed and dried but my beavers are just ruff skinned and put in the freezer for right now. The ice here in Minnesota just got off the lakes so I'm going to spring trap beavers so that's why i just ruff skinned them. If i get a lot of them i will try to figure out if some how it buy them or just sell them next year

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2017, 15:10 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I'm pretty sure that NAFA is going to have a summer sale (July I think) and you could probably get your rats into that one. Perhaps some of your beaver as well. The best bet is probably to call their Stoughton, WI facility and ask them, although they're probably pretty busy getting ready for the May sale. Because they won't be picking anymore fur up, unless Minnesota has another NAFA route coming yet this spring, you can probably ship for pretty cheap using Speedee Delivery from your area to Stoughton. There may still be some local buyers getting fur yet in your area with the spring beav season going. If you have freezer space, there's always next season if you can store the pelts properly. Good luck!

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2017, 18:10 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

May 8th is last receiving date for US trappers for July sale at Nafa. Mar 15th was last fur pick up in Canada and there will be no more this year. Fha did their final pick up last week.
Do your beaver up and freeze till next year sales. Since you live in MN there is Fha there and your best bet is to send to Jan sale in NorthBay for good beaver prices.

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2017, 10:13 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I knew wolf would have some good advice. I would follow his suggestion on the beav hides!!

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2017, 13:49 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

I sold my beavers this weekend to this fur buyer that comes and picks up fur by me i don't know what he does with them. he bought the beavers green for $6 and i had two coons dryied at the time and one was a 4XL that got me $12 and a 3XL that got me $8.I had 10 rats and the averge was a $2.50 each.I got $20 dollars for 1/2 a pound of castors. i don't know if those were good prices or not but i took it anyways

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2017, 21:33 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Well, you got a little money for the pocket, probably had fun catching critters, and don't have to store anything. If your satisfied with that, then its probably a win. If you want to make the best money with your beavs, unless you have a craft maker guy or gal around, I'd follow wolf's advice and get them to the first FHA sale of the year. There's always next season to try that route.

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2017, 19:24 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

baylor wrote:
I sold my beavers this weekend to this fur buyer that comes and picks up fur by me i don't know what he does with them. he bought the beavers green for $6 and i had two coons dryied at the time and one was a 4XL that got me $12 and a 3XL that got me $8.I had 10 rats and the averge was a $2.50 each.I got $20 dollars for 1/2 a pound of castors. i don't know if those were good prices or not but i took it anyways

Baylor I don't know how big your beaver were that you sold or how many or when you caught them. That makes a difference. but for 6 bucks you got cheated. Coon is a coon and there is little market for them. You did good with those prices but I think things will improve. Castor is paying over 80 bucks a pound, you got ripped there. Again i see a country buyer taking advantage of new comers. Better luck next time in my opinion.
If your sincerer in trapping then learn to put up fur which you will gain monetary value in future plus target the best auctions. We as trappers have to channel into the best sales.

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2017, 15:27 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

Yeah well it didn't take matter the size of the beaver cause they were frozen and he said he would give me $6 for them since he has to flesh them and stuff.i figure it seemed low but I wasn't sure cause I didn't look up what fir was selling and stuff at the time. next Time i will be more care. The guy that bought said they were like selling castors $50 a pound so I figured it might of been true but it's only my second year really trapping and selling

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2017, 21:37 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I hear you baylor and you did good. But now you know there are other options besides the jew buyers that come a calling looking for cheap fur. You as a trapper has the last call on your fur. What ever you decide is your own calling. Win or lose. Next year is a brand new start. Nafa sale coming up in 6 days. this will tell the story.