Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 02:26

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2017, 12:04 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Just curious what everyone does for fun after trapping season is over.For me its horn hunting the deer around here have allready dropped their horns and the elk are dropping as we speak. I dont do it to sell.Just for personal enjoyment and making little niknacks for the wife and kids.It also gives me a chance to stay and play in the woods.see evidence of the bucks and bulls that weathered the winter .I picked up a set from a nice little fork by three yesterday and another little fork the day befor just looking around after work.Hopefully next weekend I will go with a friend and get to spend a day looking for some elk horns.Still got to put all my trapping equipment back into working order for next year but that will wait for dryer weather.also need to get out and get my fire wood up for next winter.im a little depleated after this winter with ruffly two cord left.Also I might be bringing a new trapper into the ranks my 11year old nephew expressed a intrest and asked me if I would help him pass his test and teach him how to trap.Its kinda funny but I think I might be a tad more excited than he is.So he will be comming over and helping me put up all the equipment from this year.And get it ready for next year.also need to get the river boat out of mothballs and cleaned up for fishing season.I am ready for the monsoon rain to stop and the spring to begin.to many wishfull projects and not enough dry weather.the weather man said dry sunny weather through the weekend.We had sun all day yesterday while I was at work.Woke up this morning to pooring rain checked the weather forcast and its gonna poor all weekend shoulda known.the weatherman was full of it :evil: Oh well it gives me a chance to say howdy to my friends on wat wich I dont get a chance to do much any more.hope all is going well PK

pepe lepue 3
greys 8
reds
coys3
Johnny sneekum hopefully
beaver 9
bobcat 7
otter 2

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2017, 14:21 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

That's awesome you get to introduce a youngster to trapping , sure to be fun for both of you. I only set snares last fall so need to make up some new ones but no traps to have to fix or clean. Been trying to get my firewood cut and split but the weather has been terrible on my days off. I have enough to do till spring , it has been a really mild winter, but I always like to stay ahead of it and have extra.
The bucks here still have their antlers, carrying them late this year , usually they have dropped by now. Maybe due to the mild winter .
Might start some garden plants in a week or 2 , got some nice chinkipin trees growing. Looking forward to spring gobbler season. The mild weather should have a lot of turkeys survive this winter.

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2017, 17:28 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Ben thinking about a garden my self doc ben to wet and cold to do anything more than think about it just had another bout of snow 3days ago ben a wierd winter this year trapping was nothing to brag about but I guess I dont do it for the braggen rights anyway just walked back in from nocking down a apple tree that went dead last year still got to cut it up but the sky opened up again and chased me indoors.That chinkipin sure makes for some nice firewood its like gold to me not easy to come by around here close but when I come across it it dont stand long springers just started here havent even got my tags yet

pepe lepue 3
greys 8
reds
coys3
Johnny sneekum hopefully
beaver 9
bobcat 7
otter 2

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2017, 19:00 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

hope to be catching some of these ..Image...and finding some of those..Image

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2017, 21:18 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Chieftain I miss getting into crappie like that havent done it for years makes my mouth water just looking at them and what kind of mushrooms are those I missed out on my shantrells this year usually pick a pile and jar them

pepe lepue 3
greys 8
reds
coys3
Johnny sneekum hopefully
beaver 9
bobcat 7
otter 2

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2017, 08:03 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

iam down to 6 bags of crappie in the freezer hoping it warms up enough to go...the mushrooms are morels they should start in April ..we had a good crop of chanterelle mushrooms last year...

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2017, 09:10 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

Yeah Peace it's way to early to plant outdoors here too, last frost isn't until May. Like to start the plants indoors and they are about the right size by then. That apple sure is good wood to smoke meat with. We used to have tons of chinkipins all over the woods but they died out for some reason. I'd like to get them started again. Got 5 large ones around the house but would like to plant some in the woods too. Got 33 young ones started and so far they are lookin good.

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2017, 10:52 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Chief I havent ben crappie fishing since I got out of the military in 98all the good spots close by where bought up by private and wont let a guy in to fish.when I was a kid growing up I was filling the freezer with crappie and bass 365 days a year there are 4nice spots within walking distance of the house all private no access.and then people wonder why kids spend all their time on computers or their phones.They have nothing to do and doc you are right on with the apple its going in the wood shed just for that purpose

pepe lepue 3
greys 8
reds
coys3
Johnny sneekum hopefully
beaver 9
bobcat 7
otter 2

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2017, 11:41 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

heard that PK..thats what happened to a lot of the hunting around here big time city guy buying up all the deer leases..no trapping no coonhunting,no mushroom hunting.it will scare all the deer out of the country...I bowhunted for 40 years and I don't remember the deer being that skiddish ..

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2017, 13:25 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

Chieftain wrote:
heard that PK..thats what happened to a lot of the hunting around here big time city guy buying up all the deer leases..no trapping no coonhunting,no mushroom hunting.it will scare all the deer out of the country...I bowhunted for 40 years and I don't remember the deer being that skiddish ..

Starting to look a lot like a European country aren't we Chief ?!!
Can't wait for the morels to pop. Man I love em in scrambled eggs, 8)

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2017, 14:13 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Chief I was the same way never touched a rifle till I came back from the military had a bow in my hands from the time I was 9just started getting back into it a year ago got the wife into bow fishing when she mentioned bying fish oil for trapping coons so I said lets just go get the fish and make our own now its a full on spring pass time just outfitted my kids and nephew for this spring so planning for a lot of fun and some free trapping bait to boot even might smoke a few ive had it smoked and it was dang good just never did it my self I even picked up a go pro so I could video the kids cant wait

pepe lepue 3
greys 8
reds
coys3
Johnny sneekum hopefully
beaver 9
bobcat 7
otter 2

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2017, 07:12 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

doc9013 wrote:
Chieftain wrote:

Starting to look a lot like a European country aren't we Chief ?!!
Can't wait for the morels to pop. Man I love em in scrambled eggs, 8)
.....cant beat them fried shrooms...PK.we used to bow fish a lot its a heap of fun.i think getting a kid interested in the bow starts with target shooting then bow fishing..they don't have to sit motionless for hours being quite to get a shot..if the fish are running its game on with lots of shots....

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2017, 19:29 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Chief you are right I guess I left that part out they do have target in back yard with hay bails and todate are trying to hit paper targets with regular arrows

pepe lepue 3
greys 8
reds
coys3
Johnny sneekum hopefully
beaver 9
bobcat 7
otter 2

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2017, 06:35 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

sounds like you have them well on their way to being Archers...congrats...

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2017, 20:46 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

We've got our maple syrup cans all hung last week, except unfortunately we hit a cold snap again, so we're waiting for it to warm up again so we can start boiling sap!

Squirrel-6
Coon-4
Muskrat-8 (1 eaten)
Mink-1 (ranched)

Check out my youtube channel? I'm retroslickbass. I have some videos of me playin piano and bass in church!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/retroslickb ... rid&view=0 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul. Mark 8:36