PostPosted: 21 Feb 2017, 14:54 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

What are you using for coyote snares?

Post subject: Re: Richard Murray
PostPosted: 21 Feb 2017, 17:47 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Whew...! I always get nervous when I see a person's name as the subject of a new thread. I've seen too many that are bad news. I'm glad this isn't the case!

P.S. Richard, do you still have a bread good enough you can braid...? I can probably do some small ones in this year's effort (grow it every other year to see how much gray/white is in it). I think, however, it will be gone by the "first day of spring" as they usually do.

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2017, 20:20 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Sac Creek wrote:
What are you using for coyote snares?

3\32 camloc with teeth. Barrel swivel as close to loop as I can get and then 10' extension. Loaded. Open prairie that gives about 12' of runnin room when they hit the end and locks up good. No kill springs. doa. When I do use them. Did no snaring this year, all foot holds.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2017, 20:26 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

NonPCfed wrote:
Whew...! I always get nervous when I see a person's name as the subject of a new thread. I've seen too many that are bad news. I'm glad this isn't the case!

P.S. Richard, do you still have a bread good enough you can braid...? I can probably do some small ones in this year's effort (grow it every other year to see how much gray/white is in it). I think, however, it will be gone by the "first day of spring" as they usually do.

Sure do PC. Beard has not been touched. Gettin very long. A straight tale it is 13", braid a little shorter. And yes two tone also. Age has a way of changing a mans appearance. :roll: :lol:

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2017, 11:25 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

5/64" 7x7 with deathblow cam locks and mini torque springs, 7 feet long with barrel swivel and 10' 3/32" extensions for open country.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2017, 07:17 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Sac Creek wrote:
5/64" 7x7 with deathblow cam locks and mini torque springs, 7 feet long with barrel swivel and 10' 3/32" extensions for open country.

What's your verdict on the deathblows? I like the looks of the lower profile locks but was not sure if they would hold up to a strong hit. I know for fact the sure lock cant handle it, they will straighten out after a 12' to 13' run. I'm one of those guys, if its not broken dont fix it. :wink:

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2017, 07:55 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Richard Murray wrote:
Sac Creek wrote:

What's your verdict on the deathblows? I like the looks of the lower profile locks but was not sure if they would hold up to a strong hit. I know for fact the sure lock cant handle it, they will straighten out after a 12' to 13' run. I'm one of those guys, if its not broken dont fix it. :wink:

Richard I can't give you an honest test/opinion on the death blows yet. I just switched over to a toothed cam lock this season. I had a lot of smooth cams in my arsenal from the past and just never wanted to switch but I finally bit the bullet last fall and restocked. Like you I didn't snare much this year I think only 8-10 coyotes. I did catch a couple on the setup with extensions and both were doa and the snare seemed to perform and the lock looked good. But in no way is this enough catches for me yet to be positive.

I never put a sure lock on an extension so that's interesting.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2017, 08:58 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Sac Creek wrote:
Richard Murray wrote:
Sac Creek wrote:

Richard I can't give you an honest test/opinion on the death blows yet. I just switched over to a toothed cam lock this season. I had a lot of smooth cams in my arsenal from the past and just never wanted to switch but I finally bit the bullet last fall and restocked. Like you I didn't snare much this year I think only 8-10 coyotes. I did catch a couple on the setup with extensions and both were doa and the snare seemed to perform and the lock looked good. But in no way is this enough catches for me yet to be positive.

I never put a sure lock on an extension so that's interesting.

Couple years ago I almost bought some deathblows but changed my mind after talking to Rally Hess of Minnesota. He would not down talk the deathblow (that's not his style), just said to do my research on them. I didn't, but I know they test everything in the lab (snaring tackle), I just figured that they may have found something wrong or faulty with them. Rally has always seemed to be a straight shooter when talking with him. On a side note Jeff, Rally also said that the cam with teeth and the bmi slide free locs are the only locs on the market that are 100% lock up and don't ride the cable at all, not even a little. This was their findings in the lab.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2017, 08:59 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

text me ur addy Jeff.

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2017, 22:40 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

For open country, try Gregerson 4S locks. They have a small profile, tear out at 285#, and do not back off. Used them on the short grass prairie of eastern Colorado and did well with them. Put an eight to ten foot extension on a four or five foot snare and your coyotes will be DOA.