Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 13:06

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Richard Murray
PostPosted: 21 Feb 2017, 14:54 
Offline
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Joined: 23 Nov 2013, 18:04
Posts: 265
Location: Kansas
What are you using for coyote snares?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Murray
PostPosted: 21 Feb 2017, 17:47 
Offline
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper
User avatar

Joined: 24 Dec 2009, 15:09
Posts: 3740
Location: Eastern S. Dakota
Whew...! I always get nervous when I see a person's name as the subject of a new thread. I've seen too many that are bad news. I'm glad this isn't the case!

P.S. Richard, do you still have a bread good enough you can braid...? I can probably do some small ones in this year's effort (grow it every other year to see how much gray/white is in it). I think, however, it will be gone by the "first day of spring" as they usually do.

_________________
"And God said, Let us make man in our image …and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, …the fowl of the air…and all the creatures that move along the ground.
Genesis 1:26


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Murray
PostPosted: 21 Feb 2017, 20:20 
Offline
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper
User avatar

Joined: 09 Nov 2010, 11:58
Posts: 1303
Location: Kansas
Sac Creek wrote:
What are you using for coyote snares?

3\32 camloc with teeth. Barrel swivel as close to loop as I can get and then 10' extension. Loaded. Open prairie that gives about 12' of runnin room when they hit the end and locks up good. No kill springs. doa. When I do use them. Did no snaring this year, all foot holds.

_________________
A WISE MAN PROFITS BY THE MISTAKES HE MAKES.
A FOOL NEVER SEES THE ONE HE MAKES. (Harold Warp)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Murray
PostPosted: 21 Feb 2017, 20:26 
Offline
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper
User avatar

Joined: 09 Nov 2010, 11:58
Posts: 1303
Location: Kansas
NonPCfed wrote:
Whew...! I always get nervous when I see a person's name as the subject of a new thread. I've seen too many that are bad news. I'm glad this isn't the case!

P.S. Richard, do you still have a bread good enough you can braid...? I can probably do some small ones in this year's effort (grow it every other year to see how much gray/white is in it). I think, however, it will be gone by the "first day of spring" as they usually do.

Sure do PC. Beard has not been touched. Gettin very long. A straight tale it is 13", braid a little shorter. And yes two tone also. Age has a way of changing a mans appearance. :roll: :lol:

_________________
A WISE MAN PROFITS BY THE MISTAKES HE MAKES.
A FOOL NEVER SEES THE ONE HE MAKES. (Harold Warp)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Murray
PostPosted: 24 Feb 2017, 11:25 
Offline
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Joined: 23 Nov 2013, 18:04
Posts: 265
Location: Kansas
5/64" 7x7 with deathblow cam locks and mini torque springs, 7 feet long with barrel swivel and 10' 3/32" extensions for open country.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Murray
PostPosted: 25 Feb 2017, 07:17 
Offline
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper
User avatar

Joined: 09 Nov 2010, 11:58
Posts: 1303
Location: Kansas
Sac Creek wrote:
5/64" 7x7 with deathblow cam locks and mini torque springs, 7 feet long with barrel swivel and 10' 3/32" extensions for open country.

What's your verdict on the deathblows? I like the looks of the lower profile locks but was not sure if they would hold up to a strong hit. I know for fact the sure lock cant handle it, they will straighten out after a 12' to 13' run. I'm one of those guys, if its not broken dont fix it. :wink:

_________________
A WISE MAN PROFITS BY THE MISTAKES HE MAKES.
A FOOL NEVER SEES THE ONE HE MAKES. (Harold Warp)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Murray
PostPosted: 25 Feb 2017, 07:55 
Offline
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Joined: 23 Nov 2013, 18:04
Posts: 265
Location: Kansas
Richard Murray wrote:
Sac Creek wrote:
5/64" 7x7 with deathblow cam locks and mini torque springs, 7 feet long with barrel swivel and 10' 3/32" extensions for open country.

What's your verdict on the deathblows? I like the looks of the lower profile locks but was not sure if they would hold up to a strong hit. I know for fact the sure lock cant handle it, they will straighten out after a 12' to 13' run. I'm one of those guys, if its not broken dont fix it. :wink:


Richard I can't give you an honest test/opinion on the death blows yet. I just switched over to a toothed cam lock this season. I had a lot of smooth cams in my arsenal from the past and just never wanted to switch but I finally bit the bullet last fall and restocked. Like you I didn't snare much this year I think only 8-10 coyotes. I did catch a couple on the setup with extensions and both were doa and the snare seemed to perform and the lock looked good. But in no way is this enough catches for me yet to be positive.

I never put a sure lock on an extension so that's interesting.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Murray
PostPosted: 26 Feb 2017, 08:58 
Offline
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper
User avatar

Joined: 09 Nov 2010, 11:58
Posts: 1303
Location: Kansas
Sac Creek wrote:
Richard Murray wrote:
Sac Creek wrote:
5/64" 7x7 with deathblow cam locks and mini torque springs, 7 feet long with barrel swivel and 10' 3/32" extensions for open country.

What's your verdict on the deathblows? I like the looks of the lower profile locks but was not sure if they would hold up to a strong hit. I know for fact the sure lock cant handle it, they will straighten out after a 12' to 13' run. I'm one of those guys, if its not broken dont fix it. :wink:


Richard I can't give you an honest test/opinion on the death blows yet. I just switched over to a toothed cam lock this season. I had a lot of smooth cams in my arsenal from the past and just never wanted to switch but I finally bit the bullet last fall and restocked. Like you I didn't snare much this year I think only 8-10 coyotes. I did catch a couple on the setup with extensions and both were doa and the snare seemed to perform and the lock looked good. But in no way is this enough catches for me yet to be positive.

I never put a sure lock on an extension so that's interesting.

Couple years ago I almost bought some deathblows but changed my mind after talking to Rally Hess of Minnesota. He would not down talk the deathblow (that's not his style), just said to do my research on them. I didn't, but I know they test everything in the lab (snaring tackle), I just figured that they may have found something wrong or faulty with them. Rally has always seemed to be a straight shooter when talking with him. On a side note Jeff, Rally also said that the cam with teeth and the bmi slide free locs are the only locs on the market that are 100% lock up and don't ride the cable at all, not even a little. This was their findings in the lab.

_________________
A WISE MAN PROFITS BY THE MISTAKES HE MAKES.
A FOOL NEVER SEES THE ONE HE MAKES. (Harold Warp)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Murray
PostPosted: 26 Feb 2017, 08:59 
Offline
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper
User avatar

Joined: 09 Nov 2010, 11:58
Posts: 1303
Location: Kansas
text me ur addy Jeff.

_________________
A WISE MAN PROFITS BY THE MISTAKES HE MAKES.
A FOOL NEVER SEES THE ONE HE MAKES. (Harold Warp)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Richard Murray
PostPosted: 29 Mar 2017, 22:40 
Offline
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Joined: 06 Jan 2011, 23:10
Posts: 798
Location: NW Oregon
For open country, try Gregerson 4S locks. They have a small profile, tear out at 285#, and do not back off. Used them on the short grass prairie of eastern Colorado and did well with them. Put an eight to ten foot extension on a four or five foot snare and your coyotes will be DOA.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  


cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group