Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 03:30

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Coon
PostPosted: 11 Feb 2017, 18:13 
Trapper
Trapper

My prime fur chart says coon is good to mid march in my area. What is the best method for this time of year? Buckets and 220's, or???

Post subject: Re: Coon
PostPosted: 13 Feb 2017, 13:25 
Trapper
Trapper

Anyone?

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2017, 20:17 

Buckets would work well.

DP"s with cat food work well also.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2017, 23:28 
Trapper
Trapper

Thank you. I have never targeted coon before.

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2017, 09:23 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

flattail- Have you picked up any of the woolly Can masked bandits up there...? You must be at about the end of the line for raccoon range north, not...?

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2017, 09:47 
Trapper
Trapper

Like happens often, life has got in the way the last few days. Doc appointments, city trips. Grrr. I did pick up some Caven's "moonshine". I hope to get some traps laid this next couple days.

Regarding the coon range. I am 20 miles south of the northern forest. I am not certain if there are many coon up there or not. Around me, in mixed farmland, woods and water, with lots of old abandoned yards etc., we have quite a number of them, just by the tracks and the game cam pics, and the number I shoot each summer to protect our poultry. I do think we are probably close to the edge of their range. They are relatively new arrivals to our area, like the last 35 years kind of thing. Never had coons before that.

I have some good habitat on my land, lots of water ways etc. My only concern is that they are not out and about much yet. I want to set a few yard sites and water way areas and see what is there. I thought about dabbing some moonshine up higher to see what I draw in before putting in the effort to lay steel.

I really have gotten back into trapping after my sabbatical in life. I figure I got the animals, may was well take some, put em up, and see what I have here for grades etc. Even caught a skunk intentionally, but she sprayed bad, so she became part of the nutrient cycle.

Thanks for asking.

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2017, 11:21 
Trapper
Trapper

Well. We have been having a bit of a melt these days, and some of my coyote rams have been settling and so I have been having to often wire the ones in place that had not been, to keep them at coyote height.

Low and behold, in a power ram, that must have settled overnight, I picked up what looks like a real nice coon! lol. Answers my question about whether they are running around these days. Am online now, ordering some dp's.

How fate and irony often work. Coon on the mind, and then I catch one incidentally.

Love it!

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2017, 17:43 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

flattail- "coyote rams"...? Are you talking about some sort of snare device...?? A picture of said thing would be great!!

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2017, 22:15 
Trapper
Trapper

NonPCfed wrote:
flattail- "coyote rams"...? Are you talking about some sort of snare device...?? A picture of said thing would be great!!

Yes. In Sask we are only allowed to use power ram snares for snaring. I need to get a proper phone and take pics. Unfortunately, I only have an old flip phone due to our pathetic service. Google power ram snares, you should get some pictures.

I smeared some moonshine coon lure on some branches the other day on a frozen pond. Today the place was riddled with coon tracks, it obviously drew them in, so I need to get some sets out. I ordered some duke dp's last night. Hope they come soon!

Trouble is, our forecast is back to well below freezing for highs, so maybe they will hole back up for a while?