Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 18:58

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PTA District 5 Fur Sale
PostPosted: 12 Feb 2017, 13:10 

Today was the annual Pennsylvania Trappers Association District 5 Fur Sale. Sorry, I don't have any actual results but I was surprised by a few things.

I was surprised that no fishers were offered, but, there were 5 bobcats.

Another surprise, coyotes were only getting around $10.00 each and red fox around $6.00 each which was surprisingly low. But all grey fox were getting from $13.00 to $15.00 which was about what I expected to go. I expected the beaver to go for around $5.00 each but brought in more like $8.00 to $10.00. Raccoon for the most part brought in about $3.00 to $4.00.

This black coyote brought in $48.00!

The sale started at 9:00 AM and was completed by a little after 11:00 AM. A far cry from the all day marathons of just a few years ago.

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2017, 14:05 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

thanks for the pic.s and prices...those poor coons..any muskrats ?....

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2017, 14:57 

Chieftain wrote:
thanks for the pic.s and prices...those poor coons..any muskrats ?....

Very few muskrat. The biggest lot that was there I believe was around 20 rats and they only averaged about $3.00. Not many mink either.

The most fur there was by far the raccoons with red fox being second and way behind that was greys and coyote.

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2017, 23:53 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Thanks Rick, those were good pictures, the prices leave a lot to be desired.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2017, 15:32 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Thanks tRick for the report & pixs!!!

That yote was pretty neat looking. That one will probablt become a wall hanger somewhere.

I giggled a bit seeing the stack of put up grinners!! I giggled because I'll have a pile for the NAFA March pick up. But my grinners have more "color" to the leather side as they were winter caught and have "thick" leather, all terms of "thick" being relative when comparing grinner leather to other critters...

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2017, 20:14 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Some pretty low prices for fur. From some of the pics the fur looked good but the prices dont. Thinking auction house would have been better bet. but then again if you want fast cash then thats the way.

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2017, 04:30 

wolf1199 wrote:
Some pretty low prices for fur. From some of the pics the fur looked good but the prices dont. Thinking auction house would have been better bet. but then again if you want fast cash then thats the way.

That's the main reason why I quit going to these sales back in 2010, the first year I started shipping to NAFA. I knew I was getting undersold big time at these sales. When I first started trapping I sold all of my fur locally to independent fur buyers, they started to disappear in the late 80's and started traveling to sell fur to any buyers still around and was only getting half of what I thought. About 1998 is when I started going to these PTA sponsored trappers sales. It was an auction with buyers competing for fur. This was definitely the way to go until I first heard grumblings of collusion about 2005. Now whether this was fact that the buyers were getting together before the sale and promised not to go over a certain price or it was bitter trappers who knows. But, there were 5 buyers at this auction. All mink on the table started at $10.00, the auctioneer actually kept dropping the price down to $1.50 before the buyers began bidding. Very sad....

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2017, 18:07 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Yeah, tRick, there may be collusion at your district trapper sales but I'm sure there is also favoritism shown at the auction houses as well, such as NAFA. Don't you think there were regular buyers at the NAFA auctions that knew that the mrats were going to be offered with no limits last year before the trappers did or that the first free sale of the coons last year were going to be the better offerings...? Is that collusion or just the "big" guys (the ones who buy and have money) having the advantage on plain guys who just send fur and hope for the best.

I suspect that for much of the fur across much of the country, buyers are going to offer less than what the auctions sell the stuff for because a local-to-regional buyer, to make money, is either selling at the auctions or has end-user or another middle man to an end-user lined up. Most fur buyers are wholesalers to another source, unless they make products themselves. That's one reason why I started selling to the auctions. When I actually had a few muskrats in 2010 and 2011, I sold to a country buyer. He's a nice guy but he was buying wholesale to move them up the chain via FHA, so after joining WAT and listening to people sell at NAFA and FHA, I wondered why I was selling wholesale, especially mrats that I had always finished? Then after some experience with NAFA, especially last year, I learned it wasn't all gravy train through them as well. If I trap next year, I might have to become more diversified in how I sell some skins. I know a local guy who seems to have his fingers in multiple pots so perhaps to gets the best of both worlds. Then again, its just sort of a gamble no matter what you do, right...?

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2017, 21:33 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

NonPCfed wrote:
Yeah, tRick, there may be collusion at your district trapper sales but I'm sure there is also favoritism shown at the auction houses as well, such as NAFA. Don't you think there were regular buyers at the NAFA auctions that knew that the mrats were going to be offered with no limits last year before the trappers did or that the first free sale of the coons last year were going to be the better offerings...? Is that collusion or just the "big" guys (the ones who buy and have money) having the advantage on plain guys who just send fur and hope for the best.

I suspect that for much of the fur across much of the country, buyers are going to offer less than what the auctions sell the stuff for because a local-to-regional buyer, to make money, is either selling at the auctions or has end-user or another middle man to an end-user lined up. Most fur buyers are wholesalers to another source, unless they make products themselves. That's one reason why I started selling to the auctions. When I actually had a few muskrats in 2010 and 2011, I sold to a country buyer. He's a nice guy but he was buying wholesale to move them up the chain via FHA, so after joining WAT and listening to people sell at NAFA and FHA, I wondered why I was selling wholesale, especially mrats that I had always finished? Then after some experience with NAFA, especially last year, I learned it wasn't all gravy train through them as well. If I trap next year, I might have to become more diversified in how I sell some skins. I know a local guy who seems to have his fingers in multiple pots so perhaps to gets the best of both worlds. Then again, its just sort of a gamble no matter what you do, right...?

You are absolutely right on your comment. Do not put all your eggs in one basket. Working the market means paying attention to both auction houses.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2017, 04:56 

You make a very good point Roger. A may be a good idea for me to join FHA as well. After all, I have an FHA rep only 15 miles from me and he was one of the buyers at the sale.

I decided to take my catch to the district sale this year for a few reasons.

1, I had very little to turn in. I had planned to send to NAFA this year but that would cost me %11. (I'm not a shippers council member) This sale had a commission of 5%. I got $4.50 for a female mink which I figured I would have got around $5.00 at NAFA.
2, Like I said, it's been years since I've been to this sale plus I wanted start getting more involved in my district for the PTA now that the kids are older and not around much.
3, I am starting to formulate an article I plan on writing in the May-June issue of T&T... :D

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2017, 09:26 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Here's a question for wolf. You play the two big Canadian auction houses. Which ones do you think gives a guy the best price for the various types of critters? How would split things up if you caught all major furbearer species or would some you'd send to both and see what happens during the selling year...?

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2017, 03:57 

I finally received the results from the PTA District 5 fur auction. which is listed below.

Amount / Species / Average

125 / Red Fox / $5.50
42 / Grey Fox / 11.50
40 / Coyote / $8.01
299 / Raccoon / $3.27
40 / Opossum / $0.83
22 / Skunk / $4.59
302 / Muskrat / $2.97
31 / Male Mink / $8.06
17 / Female Mink / $3.74
20 / Beaver / $8.46
4 / Bobcat / $37.00
1 / Black Coyote / $46.00

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2017, 07:53 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Thanks Rick, that gives us something to think about when our furs are auctioned at NAFA.

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2017, 18:29 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Wow, for just about all those species except maybe a couple, a guy would have to be doing it for the love of the adventure (the trapping) and something to do while watching tv out in the man cave during the colder months (the put-up work).